TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Food Network Star -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres May 13, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Food Network Star -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres May 13, 2012

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I absolutely loved seeing his dry reaction to her being on set. For once, someone didn't gush all over her.
Me too.....while Marti practically climaxed.
Old 07-05-12, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at Target... but yeah, I agree, unless you want to buy 20 TVs, you're not going to hit that amount. Also, the largest amount you can load on a GC is $5000, so I imagine he was probably given a cash prize of 20K, but Target just wanted all the face time they could get on the show and spending an extra 20 seconds talking about a Target GC is an extra 20 seconds of exposure.

I'm actually happy they love publicity like that, because Top Chef is currently filming here in Seattle and Target just opened a new Target in Seattle. I have a strong feeling there's going to be an event taking place at the Seattle Target as a result.
Old 07-05-12, 04:45 AM

Oh, and as for Emily, I said it at the start, if she could get away from that 50s schtick, she could have been great. She couldn't ans wasn't. I wonder why Alton didn't do more to guide her away from it. He knows how to jump around and play with schtick.

Of the remaining people, I do like Justin, and I absolutely hate hate hate Martie. Please go now. Every week I hope to see her rambling ass go and her ineptitude lets her slink by. I tweeted about her stupid "Martie Party" concept criticizing her and actually encountered a Martie apologist who proclaimed that Martie had run a blog with that title for 2 years. Doesn't matter, don't care. If you're on a show where a previous winner with a similar sounding name used one rhyme, you do not use that same rhyme in your pitch.
Old 07-05-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
For some reason I just don't care for Michelle.
I liked Michelle at the start, but it seems like the last few episodes she's been emphasizing her "New England" viewpoint. I like seafood and clam chowder, but it's not really an exciting concept to me.

I did catch Maarti's new show over the weekend. It was awful. Does she still do her Maarti's Party show?
You're probably talking about Aarti? I watched an episode of her original show but don't really cook Indian so I never tuned in again.

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
I work at Target... but yeah, I agree, unless you want to buy 20 TVs, you're not going to hit that amount. Also, the largest amount you can load on a GC is $5000, so I imagine he was probably given a cash prize of 20K, but Target just wanted all the face time they could get on the show and spending an extra 20 seconds talking about a Target GC is an extra 20 seconds of exposure.

I'm actually happy they love publicity like that, because Top Chef is currently filming here in Seattle and Target just opened a new Target in Seattle. I have a strong feeling there's going to be an event taking place at the Seattle Target as a result.
Invite us!
Old 07-06-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
That retro girl seems really messed up. She's obviously using her obsession for a decade that she never lived through as an escape from something that happened to her in the past.
I got caught up this past week with it since I've been watching other shows, but I thought the exact some thing. It's so bizarre she's stuck in that 50s mindset and then when it came to her to open up about her past she completely shut down. I can understand her not wanting to talk about certain elements of the past but she did mention her mom in one segment so I don't know what her deal was.

I honestly don't care for anyone that's left on the show now, but Nikki's face is definitely effed up to the point that if she won a show I'd turn the channel. It's hard enough seeing the close ups of her on the this show.

I'd say the lip gloss guy is the favorite to win. He can't seem to do any wrong.
Old 07-07-12, 10:34 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
...but Nikki's face is definitely effed up to the point that if she won a show I'd turn the channel. It's hard enough seeing the close ups of her on the this show.
Pretty nice body, though.
Old 07-08-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Giada is a true embarrassment.
Old 07-08-12, 10:31 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Giada is a true embarrassment.
Where is this comment from? Did I miss the part where she walked out and her tits popped out of her dress or did she trip over something and faceplant into Suzy's crotch?

Why the Giada hate? Because she actually has a personality expressing her emotions about her team members instead of being a cardboard cut out Alton and Bobby who act like they really couldn't give a shit one way or the other...
Old 07-08-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Her ego, her over the top cheerleading and her borderline cheating to help her team overcome the challenge was and is pathetic, IMO.
Old 07-08-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

Her ego, her over the top cheerleading and her borderline cheating to help her team overcome the challenge was and is pathetic, IMO.
Yep. And annoying as hell.
Old 07-08-12, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to post a similar thing... Giada seems more interested in winning and cheerleading and selling her team so that she wins. The show is about finding a person for the network not about a coach "winning".

On a previous show she did a whole sell job for someone explaining who she was and what the point of view was and why it was interesting (maybe it was Martita?), and Alton barbed "perhaps next time she should tell/show us that" (or something to that effect). I nearly busted a gut at that comment.

Bobby and Alton seem more focused on getting people to improve, coaching them and working on their weaknesses as opposed to selling them so they can win.
Old 07-09-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's true we saw Giada coaching the contestants but I guess it didn't strike me as particularly douche-y.

Glad to see Martita go but Justin is really the only one who's slightly interesting. I liked the wanton rappers/wonton wrappers joke.

So with the preview showing
Spoiler:
three eliminations next week, are there only two episodes left?
Old 07-09-12, 01:15 PM

My only complaint was that I thought Nikki did far worse than Ippy in the demo and should have been in the bottom 2 in place of him. That said, he was pretty awful in the producer's challenge and almost managed to save Martita (what did oranges have to do with his story anyway?).

Btw, did anyone else think they should have switched Martie and Michele's monkey wrench moments? I think Martie has a much bigger issue with time management and Michele with maintaining control when she doesn't have the right ingredients and stuff.
Old 07-09-12, 06:00 PM

Well at least Martita's Mexican minstrel show is over. I'll have to rewatch it, but I think she briefly lost her accent at the beginning of her presentation, then regained it(and actually overplayed it I thought, as the presentation went on).

I think at some point, they figured out that like Emily, Martita was just playing a character and also like Emily, that character vanished when she got too nervous. Still surprised that they dumped Emily over her in the 'dead air' episode, but they probably thought the Hispanic demographic had more value than the little old lady one. In any case, it was pretty clear that Bob and Suzy had lost patience with her.

As for the final 3, I'm still guessing Justin and Michelle. I'll vote for Nikki for the 3rd, as long as she promises to wear something low cut in the finale.
Old 07-09-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad Martita is gone so I no longer have to hear the name "Mar-TEE-Tah" over-pronounced ever again.

It reminded me of the old SNL skit with Jimmy Smits who worked with a bunch of white people who insisted on saying Spanish words with exaggerated accents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjty394oyw

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGjty394oyw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGjty394oyw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Last edited by Jadzia; 07-09-12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 09:49 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I don't know if anyone watches Food Network Canada. But I just ran across this:

Sad news from Canada: Anthony Sedlak, the host of Food Network Canada‘s The Main and head judge of Family Cook-Off, was found dead in his Vancouver apartment on Friday. He was 29.

He rose to stardom after he won the Food Network’s Superstar Chef Challenge and received his own ultimately successful pilot. Sedlak hosted The Main for four seasons, publishing a bestselling cookbook while working on the show.

Anthony Sedlak, Food Network Canada Host And Celebrity Chef, Dead At 29
Old 07-09-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
I was about to post a similar thing... Giada seems more interested in winning and cheerleading and selling her team so that she wins. The show is about finding a person for the network not about a coach "winning".
actually, it's about both. that's how they set it up.
Old 07-10-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
I think she briefly lost her accent at the beginning of her presentation
I totally noticed that

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm glad Martita is gone so I no longer have to hear the name "Mar-TEE-Tah" over-pronounced ever again.
Geez, no kidding. Be sure to flick the tip of your tongue off your teeth when you say that.
Old 07-10-12, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
As for the final 3, I'm still guessing Justin and Michelle. I'll vote for Nikki for the 3rd, as long as she promises to wear something low cut in the finale.
With 2 from each team left, I'm wondering if they just do a head to head to get the 3 finalists (I sense they drove things the last few shows to even out the teams and set that up).

If so I think Justin, Michelle (execs seem to like her), and Ivan? (the cynic in me is thinking his demographic is slightly larger than Ippy's)
Old 07-11-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Yvan has also performed better than Ippy.
Old 07-11-12, 11:12 AM

If it's Michelle do they change her appearance? I really don't see her show being that watchable but her sloppy look is not something you see on FN. She may remind people of Guy but he dresses neatly. And the size of her backside, wow...
Old 07-11-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it's Michelle do they change her appearance? I really don't see her show being that watchable but her sloppy look is not something you see on FN. She may remind people of Guy but he dresses neatly. And the size of her backside, wow...
I thought you were saying she looks like a guy
Old 07-11-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking more along the lines of who would I like to spend an evening slinging back some beers with. Answer: Justin and Michelle.
Old 07-12-12, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I'm thinking more along the lines of who would I like to spend an evening slinging back some beers with. Answer: Justin and Michelle.
Not knowing you at all, I'd guess you aren't Michelle's type and Justin isn't your type. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 07-12-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not knowing you at all, I'd guess you aren't Michelle's type and Justin isn't your type. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Actually, I think Justin is kind of cool looking. His personality is what I like. Michelle seems like she would be fun to sling a few beers with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.