Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

General Hospital Blessed With a 50th Season by ABC.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

General Hospital Blessed With a 50th Season by ABC.

Old 04-07-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: General Hospital Blessed With a 50th Season by ABC.

Old 04-07-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the video link. After we watched our recording of (Part 1 of) the nurse's ball, I spent 5 minutes trying to explain to my wife that I remembered Frisco singing some other song, but I couldn't remember the name. It was also nice to see Tony and Sean in that clip.
Old 04-07-13, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that episode aired twice this week during soapnet s 51 episode marathon Currently airing.
Old 04-08-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now we know who Britta's father is. Wonder what her announcement will be, pregnant?
Old 04-11-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I never get tired of seeing Vanessa Marcil (Brenda).
Loved yesterday's episode. Brenda and Carly had me rolling.

Also, rumor has it they might be bringing Scott and Lucy's daughter back and it's the same girl that played her 12 years ago... Damn she all grown up now.
Old 04-11-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25 View Post
Loved yesterday's episode. Brenda and Carly had me rolling.

Also, rumor has it they might be bringing Scott and Lucy's daughter back and it's the same girl that played her 12 years ago... Damn she all grown up now.
That's not going to happen. Because Prospect Park owns the One Life to Live characters that were on GH, those characters had to be written out when the online version started production. But the actors will be returning to GH, and Kristin Alderson who payed Starr will be playing Scott's daughter, Serena.
Old 04-11-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's awful news.

Just let Starr die away.
Old 04-12-13, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the three actors are not going to play Todd, Starr and John, just leave them off the show. It's now going to make any sense at all to bring them back as other characters.
Old 04-12-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I'd rather see Tod and McBain come back I can accept them as new characters.

Not like it hasn't be done before.

One of the early actresses who played Carly came back as another person and that worked until they killed her.
Old 04-12-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fund a guy on YouTube who has all the Cassadine stories posted.

Found the deaths of Stavros and Stephan.

Stavros first death

Second death

Old 05-20-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The three OLTL actors have returned.

Starr is now the missing Q heir Lauren Frank.
McBain is now the brother of the "dead" vampire serial killer.

Don't know who Todd Manning is yet but he will either be
Sam's father or Franco.

Franco seems odd but likely. Although Howarth is older than James Franco,
Franco is Lauren's father so they would be playing father and daughter again.

There also seems to be ties to the Jerome crime family on the show years ago.
Old 05-21-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boy, am I the only one who thinks the 41-year-old Maura West looks like she's 61? She looks like the victim of some very shoddy plastic surgery.

Also, not having seen her previous work, the press was saying how great an actress she was...she's failed to impress me so far. Granted, she hasn't been given much to do yet, but having her first scenes with Tony Geary didn't help (he acted circles around her).
Old 06-27-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, they just fired Kelly Sullivan (Connie Falconeri). She's one of the best actresses on the show...I don't know WTF is going on at GH these days.
Old 06-28-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Well, they just fired Kelly Sullivan (Connie Falconeri). She's one of the best actresses on the show...
I'm guessing her character gets killed--she says she was "written off" the show and it had nothing to do with any conflicts or contract issues.

Definitely fair to say the show's been floundering since the Nurse's Ball. I'm actually preferring DOOL at the moment, which is rare for me.
Old 05-08-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anthony Geary Is Leaving General Hospital.

It will be sad to see him go. He's been a part of the show for so long now, it's hard to think of GH without him. He's really done his best work in years this past year and a half. He really deserved the Daytime Emmy as Best Actor in which he won last month. I have very fond memories of him and Laura on the run growing up watching the show with my Grandma and later on with my Mom. He will be missed, that's for sure.
Old 05-08-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw that too.
Won't be killed off and it was mentioned he might come back occasionally.

Also it cheers to be why genie Francis is returning.

Btw other than the recent Luke storyline the show has been really dull.

They have dragged out the return of Jason stuff for longer than forever.

I'll likely stop watching after Geary is gone.
Old 05-08-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geary leaving has been suspected for the past year, but it's finally official.

His last major storyline got him another Emmy and was something Geary really wanted to do, but - DAMN - was it a waste of time for us viewers.

They're also killing off Duke Lavery, which means Ian Buchanan will be exiting GH soon. Geary is supposed to be on through the end of the summer.

GH missed a big chance when they refused to sign Tristan Rogers to a contract...he wanted to come back for good, but the showrunners didn't want him - so he went over to Y&R and will probably never come back to GH again.
Old 05-08-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soaps seems to be dropping after decades, is to just because their audiences were older and aren't around to watch any more?
Old 05-08-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Soaps seems to be dropping after decades, is to just because their audiences were older and aren't around to watch any more?
It also has to do with attention span...who has time in today's world to follow a 5-hour per week scripted series where things tend to move at a snail's pace. There's really no reason for these shows to move as slowly as they do, other than lack of creativity by the writers.

I DVR the show and usually just watch the opening and closing segments each day unless something interesting catches my eye.
Old 05-09-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was talking about this with my Wife last night. I was a 10 year old boy when Anthony Geary first appeared as Luke Spencer on GH in 1978. I'm now 47, soon will be 48. It's mind blowing to think I have been watching him play Luke Spencer basically my entire life. I hope the writers give him the proper sendoff he deserves.

It's a shame that that are killing off Duke Lavery. The character began back in the 1980's and has a rich history on the program. I don't know the story of why they are killing him off (If Ian Buchanan's contact wasn't going to be renewed, he didn't want to play the part anymore, I don't know) but they should just have written Duke off and not kill the guy for heaven's sake.

I have give up all hope of Jason getting his memory back. They have dragged this out beyond belief, even for soap standards! Get on with it already! This horse has been beaten to death!
Old 05-09-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I think it is combination of things. In the past, a lot of housewives or people who didn't have 9 to 5 work schedules watched soaps and in some cities, there were affliate stations that aired some soaps in the late afternoon hours. My mom kept up watching Young and the Restless after she started working full time. There were some people who recorded soap operas on VHS and kept up in the pre DVR or streaming eras. When the now defunct SoapNet launched, it was met with good reception. Things changed, soap opera viewership during daytime hours decreased and people who were at home during the daytime were watching other things on TV or they were tuning into the soaps online. Online streaming was part of the reason for the decline of SoapNet.

I got introduced to soaps because of my mom and grandma. My grandma was the one who watched General Hospital. As a kid I would watch whatever soaps were one when I came from school or I would follow the soaps during the summers off from school. My older sister was in college in the 90s. Soap operas were popular on campuses back then. NBC used to promotional events for their soaps at college campuses. My sister met a few Days of Our Lives cast members at one of those events. There were and still are some younger soap watchers. When Prospect Place briefly brought back One Life to Live and All My Children for online streaming, OLTL really promoted a youthful vibe for the show. The 18-49 demo that still watches the remaining soaps makes it known when they are fed up with storylines that are dragged out.

I work mostly from home and my schedule is flexible at times. I still watch Days of Our Lives, General Hospital and Young and the Restless here and there. I agree with some people, certain storylines on GH are dragged out. Another issue with soap operas are that some of the really bad actors and actresses get a lot of screentime and sometimes the better ones don't.
Old 07-24-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Head writer Ron Carlivati was fired this week, replaced by two veteran soap scribes, Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman. Maybe GH will recover from weeks of dismal ratings. With Tony Geary's farewell, the show should have been riding high, but unfortunately they gave him a terrible exit story.
Old 07-25-15, 12:58 AM

Hopefully they cut back on the Nina/Franco/Madeline/Kiki/Silas characters. They're pretty much dead weight and the Ric Lansing character deserves a better story. I don't mind Roger Howarth's smart ass-type acting, but I preferred him as Todd, which I know they can't use anymore. I don't mind Michael Easton either but I preferred McBain over Silas. And I never watched OLTL.

All I really want is Jerry Jacks to come back. I love Sebastian Roche in that role but he's starting to become bigger on primetime. Good for him though. Jax returning I wouldn't mind either.
Old 07-25-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Head writer Ron Carlivati was fired this week, replaced by two veteran soap scribes, Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman. Maybe GH will recover from weeks of dismal ratings. With Tony Geary's farewell, the show should have been riding high, but unfortunately they gave him a terrible exit story.
Thank god they're showing Ron the door, but I don't know that things will get much better. Exec. Producer Frank Valentini isn't going anywhere, which means they're not going to change much in the way of cast or which actors are under contract and which aren't.

I wish they'd give John J. York a bigger role...is he even ON the show anymore...I honestly can't remember the last time I saw him.

This is Frank's fault and not Ron's, but Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio) WANTED to come back to the show full time the last time they had him on, and GH didn't even TRY to bring him back. So Tristan went off to Y&R - the home of a lot of ex-GH stars (like Steve Burton).

I wouldn't be shocked if this time next year we're talking about the cancellation of GH.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-25-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today's episode was by far the worst sendoff of a major character in television history. Anthony Geary was barely a blimp on the radar with all of the other nonsense GH showed today. Could they have not dedicated the entire show to him today?

I would have loved to seen old clips of Luke Spencer in action. They have so much material they could have shown. The biggest star in Daytime Soap history, in his last episode on the show, deserved better, much better. Absolutely pitiful GH.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.