TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The GENERAL HOSPITAL Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: The GENERAL HOSPITAL Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I hope they actually kill off Edward and dont recast. The character is probably close to 137 years old by now.
Yeah, John Ingle was great in that role, but I'll always picture David Lewis as Edward Quartermaine (who died in 2000). Die-hard fans will remember they DID kill off Edward (when Lewis was playing him), then had him come back as the voice of a portrait (talking to his wife) and then finally revealed he was alive after all (I think Anna Devane found him at a bar in some third-world country!).
Old 09-19-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think he can see the writing on the wall and is taking his best opportunity to exit. As loyal as ABC has been to GH, I can't imagine it will still be on the air three years from now. The biggest problem with daytime soaps has been their refusal to adapt...people no longer want stories that run slower than real-life does. Yes, budgets and production values are low, but that's no excuse for lazy writing. Shake things up, stir the pot, do crazy stuff...no - they seem satisfied with the status quo - and that's why they're all dying a slow death (the few that haven't already been axed).
I agree with this.
Old 12-01-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I hope they actually kill off Edward and dont recast. The character is probably close to 137 years old by now.
They did.

His gravestone or more accurately his cover stone said he was born in 1918 making him 94 when Edward died, ten years older then Ingle.

the tribute was really nice.
They used a body double without shouing his face as he watched the family in their home, then he and Lila, still in the wheel chair, went to the main staircase, Lila rose out of the chair and they both went up into the light together.

Edward says to lila, "What would you say if i asked you to renew our commitments to each other?" Lila says, "Of course I will." then she gets up and they both go up the stairs.

Right at the end of the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fbDPz-ATxRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by whotony
True but port Charles was not much of a connection to GH other than a couple characters who were on both. It was more of a supernatural show.

Now if Tómas went to GH that would be interesting since the guy played both Alcazars.

GH was always a better show when Scotty was on there. He is a perfect foil for Luke.
On wednesday they had a pic of Tomas and Blair in the news captioned with them getting married.
Skyy and Carly saw the picture and were shocked to see that Tomas looked exactly like the dead Alcazar and ran off to talk to Todd.

So it looks like they may be bringing back Ted King.

Also the new Kate who isnt really new anymore has been knocking it out of the park. she has done the dual roles brilliantly. Now I doubt the other woman could not have done it so well.

GH has incorporated the OLTL group extremely well.

They even did a call back with Skye to her appearing on AMC with a mention of her uncle Stewart.

btw if anyone cares Soapnet has been airing older eps from when Laura left with Scotty when Scotty tried to win her back while Laura was in the nut house. I think these were about 6 years ago.
Old 12-02-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the most fun things about General Hospital right now is the way they're playing meta-games with the history of all the ABC soaps.

You've got a guy or gal who's played different roles on different soaps? Collide the universes and see what happens! It's the kind of thing comic books are famous for, isn't it? Back when TNG finished and DS9 was the only trek mythology show, they were suddenly free to do absolutely whatever they wanted and they were all the better for it. GH has that kind of freedom now and they're running with it.

Last edited by adamblast; 12-02-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Laura coming back to GH.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/08/ge...eral-hospital/
Old 01-08-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Great news! It would be nice if she stuck around for awhile. The Luke and Laura stories from the 80's are classic. I wish they would release them on DVD.
Old 01-09-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm hoping for one more L&L adventure for the 50th anniversary. If anyone can do it, Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini can.
Old 01-24-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

abc.soapsindepth.com/general-hospital/

More names and one surprise returning to GH.

According to tv guide and that link above Scotty and

Spoiler:
Jack Wagner

Will return.

Also coming back is Jon Lindstrom as Dr Kevin Collins.
Old 01-25-13, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Tempted to tune in again for another nostalgia fix (I tuned in for a few episodes around Robin's death when Anna, Robert, Holly, and Luke were there).
Old 01-25-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really surprised an effort hasn't been made to bring back John Reilly and Sharon Wyatt as well.

Wally Kurth ("Ned") came back this week.
Old 01-25-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Tiffany makes any sense without Sean Donnelly. Also, they're already bursting at the seams with staff.
Old 01-25-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really surprised an effort hasn't been made to bring back John Reilly and Sharon Wyatt as well.

Actually Ned has been back a few times in since Edward's on screen death. I'm loving GH right now. Love the story with Lucy and the vampires... That was good for all the Port Charles fans. lol
Old 01-26-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tiffany and Sean came back about four years ago for a stint on GG Night Shift.
Old 01-26-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sharon Wyatt battled a bone disease and lost half her jaw. She won't be acting any time soon.
Old 01-28-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much longer til the ugly duckling turns into a swan on the show? Damn Sabrina is hot...
Old 01-28-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not much longer I'm guessing.
Old 01-28-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
How much longer til the ugly duckling turns into a swan on the show? Damn Sabrina is hot...
You can bet that reveal will happen at the Nurses Ball in April.
Old 01-29-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Sharon Wyatt battled a bone disease and lost half her jaw. She won't be acting any time soon.
I didn't know that...she was on NIGHT SHIFT in 2008, but I guess the surgery was in 2011. I'm guessing that's the main reason neither actor has returned (doesn't make sense to just have John back alone).
Old 01-30-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Today's show seemed to indicate they're going to go full-on supernatural with angels and vampires--rather than just referring to them semi-comically as a throwback to one or both of GH's 80s era spinoffs. McCain is clueing in that Caleb isn't fiction. I wonder if they're gonna let him play both for a while.
Old 01-30-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sure hope not. I used to watch Port Charles (big shock huh? lol) but when all of that vampire horse crap started, I quit watching.
Old 01-30-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

'General Hospital' leads soap opera revival

ABC shook up daytime dramas in 2011, canceling "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" because their costs were high and their ratings low.

The network, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS), took a gamble in keeping "General Hospital," however, and that bet has paid off.

Ratings for the show, which turns 50 in April, are on the rise. "General Hospital" attracted more than 3 million total viewers during the week ended Dec. 28, the highest total in two years. Viewership among advertisers' target demographic -- women 18 to 34 years old -- is up 44% year over year, according to ABC.

Soap fans say the reason for GH's resurgence is simple: The show got a lot better. Under executive producer Frank Valentini, who assumed the job last year, the show has had entertaining story lines and brought back fan favorites from the show's heyday, such as Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake), Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) and Genie Francis (Laura Spencer).

"There were concerns about the future of the show," Valentini said in an interview with MSN Money. "We are all aware of how the television viewing market has become increasingly fractured."

The concern about soaps has been around for a long time. Ratings for soap operas took such a dramatic nosedive in the last decade that CBS (CBS) research head David Poltrack was sure Nielsen's ratings were wrong. He asked the ratings service to double check its math, but it came up with the same results. That was quite a change for a genre that for decades was a television cash cow.

But soap operas may now be making a limited comeback.

ABC renewed "General Hospital" last year and canceled "The Revolution," a lower-cost alternative to soaps that failed to attract viewers. Comcast's(CMCSA) NBC has recently renewed "Days of Our Lives." According to Deadline.com, CBS is poised to renew "The Bold and the Beautiful," while "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" are due to come back as online shows later this year and will also be available on Hulu.

http://money.msn.com/now/general-hos...pera-revival-8
Old 01-31-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad it's doing better. I think ratings are up since they moved it from 3pm to 2pm, right after Days and BB. Show has been a bit better though.
Old 01-31-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
'General Hospital' leads soap opera revival

ABC shook up daytime dramas in 2011, canceling "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" because their costs were high and their ratings low.

The network, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS), took a gamble in keeping "General Hospital," however, and that bet has paid off.

Ratings for the show, which turns 50 in April, are on the rise. "General Hospital" attracted more than 3 million total viewers during the week ended Dec. 28, the highest total in two years. Viewership among advertisers' target demographic -- women 18 to 34 years old -- is up 44% year over year, according to ABC.

Soap fans say the reason for GH's resurgence is simple: The show got a lot better. Under executive producer Frank Valentini, who assumed the job last year, the show has had entertaining story lines and brought back fan favorites from the show's heyday, such as Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake), Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) and Genie Francis (Laura Spencer).

"There were concerns about the future of the show," Valentini said in an interview with MSN Money. "We are all aware of how the television viewing market has become increasingly fractured."

The concern about soaps has been around for a long time. Ratings for soap operas took such a dramatic nosedive in the last decade that CBS (CBS) research head David Poltrack was sure Nielsen's ratings were wrong. He asked the ratings service to double check its math, but it came up with the same results. That was quite a change for a genre that for decades was a television cash cow.

But soap operas may now be making a limited comeback.

ABC renewed "General Hospital" last year and canceled "The Revolution," a lower-cost alternative to soaps that failed to attract viewers. Comcast's(CMCSA) NBC has recently renewed "Days of Our Lives." According to Deadline.com, CBS is poised to renew "The Bold and the Beautiful," while "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" are due to come back as online shows later this year and will also be available on Hulu.

http://money.msn.com/now/general-hos...pera-revival-8
You have to wonder what would have happened if ABC dumped Brian Frons earlier than it did, and put this same amount of effort into saving All My Children and One Life to Live.
Old 01-31-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm completely turned off by the concept of vampires, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and add it to my DVR so I can see some of the old stars.
Old 01-31-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'm completely turned off by the concept of vampires, etc., but I'm going to go ahead and add it to my DVR so I can see some of the old stars.
Valentini said in an interview a few weeks back that "we're not doing vampires." My guess is he's got a more logical explanation to tie what happened on PORT CHARLES into what's happening now on GH.

In other news, first shots of Jack Wagner on the set:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.