Old 04-09-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Night Lands" -- 4/08/12

Great episode. Nice interaction with Tyrion with Varys and Cersei
Old 04-09-12, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great episode, but not a fan of how Mellisandre is written and acted on the show. She seems more like a caricature of her book character, which is unfortunate.
Old 04-09-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My favorite part of these threads is when someone asks a question and 30 people reply with the same answer.
Old 04-09-12, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
That WAS explained last season, I don't know how many people caught it. However it is not a spoiler.
Yeah, we didn't catch it until re-watching the blu rays. When the commander gave Jon Snow his family sword as a gift, the Commander flat stated that it had previously belonged to his son Jorah.
Old 04-09-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dash
To answer your questions
Spoiler:
1) this part wasnt really in the book, it was told that he sacraficed the boys. For TV though its much easier to just show what he was doing. Though it will be interesting since caster cought Jon watching.

2) this part wasnt in the book though I think it was used as to show that the rest of the Dothraki are against her.
Why are these spoilers?
Old 04-09-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Are we supposed to know how Joffrey was able to identify Robert's bastards? I assume there was some sort of paper trail since Ned tracked them down pretty quickly, but I didn't know if that was something we were supposed to just assume (like how everyone in the seven kingdoms suddenly and simultaneously knows about Jamie and Cerci), or whether it's part of a later reveal.
No you aren't. In the books it's made clear that Varys knows the identity of all Robert's bastards.

I seem to recall from the first book (although I might be getting confused) that Robert was fond of some of them and gave their mothers some money to care for them.
Old 04-09-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why are these spoilers?
I was answering a question in a spoiler so I figured might as well respond the same way.
Old 04-09-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Expanding on Jorah, yes he was from Bear Island in the north. He is the son of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The sword he gave to Jon Snow should have gone to Jorah. He did sell poachers into slavery. Slavery is illegal on Westeros. So Ned Stark as Warden of the North sentenced him to death(or maybe was going to send him to the Night's Watch, can't remember). So he fled across the Narrow Sea to the Free Cities. I believe the REASON he sold the poachers was because he loved his wife who spent all his money, but he still wanted to give her everything she wanted..so he was pretty much broke I believe and needed money..thus selling the poachers. When the show/books start, he wants to latch onto Viserys and Dany just as a way to hopefully end up back home. Can't remember if we know this on the show yet for sure:

Spoiler:
He was working for Varys/Robert when he hooks up with the Targs, sending them info and I think would have eventually killed them if asked in order to get a pardon and be able to come home.
Old 04-09-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shady12
Expanding on Jorah, yes he was from Bear Island in the north. He is the son of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The sword he gave to Jon Snow should have gone to Jorah. He did sell poachers into slavery. Slavery is illegal on Westeros. So Ned Stark as Warden of the North sentenced him to death(or maybe was going to send him to the Night's Watch, can't remember). So he fled across the Narrow Sea to the Free Cities. I believe the REASON he sold the poachers was because he loved his wife who spent all his money, but he still wanted to give her everything she wanted..so he was pretty much broke I believe and needed money..thus selling the poachers. When the show/books start, he wants to latch onto Viserys and Dany just as a way to hopefully end up back home. Can't remember if we know this on the show yet for sure:

Spoiler:
He was working for Varys/Robert when he hooks up with the Targs, sending them info and I think would have eventually killed them if asked in order to get a pardon and be able to come home.
It is known...

It is known...

Also, Jorah DID get a pardon in episode 9 of the first season. And now that I'm typing this, I believe that's how he knew Dyna was about to be assassinated. He realized that he'd only get a pardon when his work was done.

Ohhhh I love when things come together. Fascinating, the layers woven into this story.
Old 04-09-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The only real complaint I have about this season is that, other than Peter Dinklage, there are no actors of significant "weight" in the cast right now. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are some very talented people on the show, but Dinklage is really the only one who is just blowing away each and every scene he's in - as opposed to last year when we had Dinklage, Addy, and Bean. For that reason, Season 2 seems lesser (so far) than Season 1.
Old 04-09-12, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dash
To answer your questions
Spoiler:
1) this part wasnt really in the book, it was told that he sacraficed the boys. For TV though its much easier to just show what he was doing. Though it will be interesting since caster cought Jon watching.

2) this part wasnt in the book though I think it was used as to show that the rest of the Dothraki are against her.
Spoiler:
As to question/answer 2 I don't remember any of her blood rideers being killed in the book. I thought all 3 accompanied her to the city where the merchant tried to marry her for the eggs.
Old 04-09-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only real complaint I have about this season is that, other than Peter Dinklage, there are no actors of significant "weight" in the cast right now. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are some very talented people on the show, but Dinklage is really the only one who is just blowing away each and every scene he's in - as opposed to last year when we had Dinklage, Addy, and Bean. For that reason, Season 2 seems lesser (so far) than Season 1.
I disagree. Lena Headey and Conleith Hill are matching him beat for beat in their scenes together.

I like Peter Dinklage and his portrayal of Tyrion a lot but his accent needs a lot of work. He doesn't even sound remotely like his father or sister.
Old 04-09-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I disagree. Lena Headey and Conleith Hill are matching him beat for beat in their scenes together.
We agree to disagree...I've never thought of Lena as an A-list actor. Solid and servicable for sure, but she's not done anything on this show that has blown me away or surpassed expectations.
Old 04-09-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Peter Dinklage and his portrayal of Tyrion a lot but his accent needs a lot of work. He doesn't even sound remotely like his father or sister.
I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by it. At times its so bad its distracting.
Old 04-09-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by it. At times its so bad its distracting.
I can't believe I hadn't thought of this! I guess you could possibly attribute it to his education. He lived in his books (among other places.. i"m sure he heard all kinds of accents in the whorehouses lol) and may have picked up his accent from his tutors. He sure didn't spend much time with his family...
Old 04-09-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be fair, a lot of the actors' accents on this show are wonky. The actors playing northerners are generally trying to match Sean Bean's Yorkshire accent. Michelle Fairley's northern Irish accent creeps in a lot though (which can be fanwanked that Catelyn grew up elsewhere) but the Stark children are all over the place, ranging from BBC English to Scottish. Nicolaj Coster-Waldau can't quite contain his Danish accent. Jack Gleeson's Irish accent sneaks in there too and sounds nothing like the cut-glass accents of his mother or sister.
Old 04-09-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think his accent is to give a constant reminder that he is, by far, the best educated member of the family.
Old 04-09-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think his accent is to give a constant reminder that he is, by far, the best educated member of the family.

I also think it is a testament that, aside from Jamie, he would like to disassociate himself from this family as much as possible in terms of mannerisms.
Old 04-09-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by loser09
Yeah, we didn't catch it until re-watching the blu rays. When the commander gave Jon Snow his family sword as a gift, the Commander flat stated that it had previously belonged to his son Jorah.
Ditto, except I rewatched on demand (as opposed to BR). It is one of the reasons I am really glad I rewatched S1 prior to S2 because there were at least a dozen little details like that I missed the first time through with so much being thrown at me and stretched out over 10 weeks. Watching all 10 episodes again over 2 days with CC on filled a lot of plot /character relationship gaps for me.
Old 04-09-12, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dinklage is owning this season so far.

There was a hell of a lot of incest in this episode. Dinklage talking with his sister about Jamie, the dude who sleeps with his daughters, and the one guy finger banging his sister (albeit unknowingly). I could really go for less of that.
Old 04-09-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet

There was a hell of a lot of incest in this episode. Dinklage talking with his sister about Jamie, the dude who sleeps with his daughters, and the one guy finger banging his sister (albeit unknowingly). I could really go for less of that.
I thought that was hilarious when he found out. She let him do it knowingly however.

Loved the imp seizing the commander of the guard too.
Old 04-09-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dinklage is certainly owed a lot of credit for his acting but he gets a lot of help from the script. He clearly has the most central role as most of the plot in Kings Landing revolves around him. He gets the best lines. He is easily the most sympathetic character (with the possible exceptions of Arya or Davos). He serves as the moral compass of the series now that Ned Stark is dead. Dinklage is doing a great job but it's a plum role and a bit of a no-lose situation. IMO, the kid playing Joffrey is a genius judging by how many people hate him. Also, the actors playing Dvos, Varys and Littlefinger are all superb.

All of it is somewhat justifiable. Cersei and Jaime is central to the plot of the story. Craster is an interesting case because he's completely despicable but the Watch is forced to deal with him because of... certain reasons (keep watching). It puts the Watch in an interesting spot. Theon is a complete pig with a hugely inflated sense of self-worth and very little actual brain power. The scene with Yara (Asha) makes it clear he's an over-empowered fool... again keep watching.
Old 04-10-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Dinklage is owning this series so far.
fixed.

Dinklage is absolutely brilliant and was last year as well. I keep coming back to the same realization : Every single scene he appears in is riveting. Every one is totally watchable and fascinating. That's an amazing feat to keep up for a whole season and in my years of watching TV, that's only happened for me only once before over the duration of an entire season -- Stanley Tucci as Richard Cross on Murder One, Season One. Dinklage is keeping it going into Season Two, and taking over as the de-facto lead character as well. He's awesome.
Old 04-10-12, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the subject of accents, this show/book takes place in a different world than ours. So when you think about it there is no RIGHT accent. This is not Downton Abbey where it takes place in the UK...

I suppose for the sake of continuity you people picking apart the accents at least want people from the same family to have the same accent...

But still. Davos could have a Texan accent and Jon Snow could have a french canadian accent and it wouldn't change a thing. like i said there is no such thing as a 'right' accent in a world that doesn't exist. It's just a coincidence that 99% of the actors are from Europe. And i understand why they want everyone to be 'British' since it makes a period show/movie sound more distinguished and classy!

But hey that's just me!

I'm currently reading book 5 right now and it's so surreal to read the 'future' and watch the 'past'. heheh
Old 04-10-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The accents are a detriment to trying to understand what is going on since there is often indecipherable dialogue. I think that's how I miss some of the details because no matter how many times I go back, I can't make out some lines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.