Old 04-01-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Breakout Kings -- "Self Help" -- 4/01/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-03-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The gang must figure out how a prisoner pulled off the perfect crime while remaining incarcerated.

Episode 5 of 10

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WkzyjgvLVOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-01-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- "Self Help" -- 4/01/12

That was an all-around fantastic episode. This show was great during the first season, but this second season has been even better.

I'm continually impressed by how they come up with new and innovative ways for the convicts to escape. Not only that, but the runners have all had different motivations. I think it says a lot that the creative team has kept this show, one that lends itself to repetitiveness, so fresh. I also like that they've thrown in a bit of serialization with Damien.

But at its heart, this is a show that's about its characters, and the writers never forget that. Tonight was a prime example of the show devotes serious attention to developing the characters in an authentic way.

The back-and-forth between Lloyd and Shea was great tonight. The scene in the bathroom was hilarious. I really like that while they both openly disdain one another at times, there is still a sense of mutual respect at other times. It made Lloyd's words to Shea all the more meaningful and seeing Shea take it to heart and go to the library was a great moment.

It was nice to see a little bit of a payoff with Lloyd and Jules, but I have a feeling it's going to mean more to him than it did to her. Jimmi Simpson did a great job reacting to the kiss. He really sells the love Lloyd has for Jules and it will be interesting to see where they take their relationship.

The guy's plan to break out and then break back in was pretty creative. It sucks they didn't get time off for this one, but I really liked Ray's response of giving them an extra day on the outside. That's another example of character development that has been done very effectively. At the start of the show Ray viewed them all as nothing but criminals, means to an end; he's slowly begun to see them as people and he genuinely cares about them, even if he doesn't want to admit it.
Old 04-02-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Your chick boner is showing.
Old 04-02-12, 06:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow, does A&E not re-air this at all during the week? Missed recording this last night.
Old 04-02-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lloyd doing karaoke. Also, him getting so upset over the self-help stuff.

Agree with everything kstublen said. This show is much better than I would have expected at the start.
Old 04-03-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the best episode to date yet IMO. Lots of funny moments mixed with a great story.
Old 04-03-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The stuff with Shea was quite funny. I thought the basic plot of the con whom wanted to escape and get back into jail before being discovered was clever.
Old 04-03-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

"Inside everyone is a little white man. I need you to reach deep down and touch that white man inside you"

"Was that a double entendre?"

"You tell me."

Old 04-06-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely my favorite episode of the show so far.

I can't state anything better than kstublen already summed up this episode. Everything was done extremely well this episode and leads to some interesting potential.