Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Old 04-01-12, 04:51 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,029
Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts
The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-03-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sarah returns to Seattle to look into a possible cover-up involving the events that led to Councilman Richmond's arrest, and she wonders if she can ever really trust Holder again.

An unsettling discovery is made at the Larsen house while Sarah is on her way to Tacoma, where she uncovers a revealing secret about Richmond.



Episodes 1 and 2 of 13

Season 1 Recap:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1526955804001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-killing%2Fvideos%2Fthe-investigation-so-far-the-killing-2&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~,-gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1526955804001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-killing%2Fvideos%2Fthe-investigation-so-far-the-killing-2&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~,-gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="456" height="388" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>


** If you hate the show, don't plan on watching, think it's the worst show in the history of mankind, please don't come into this thread and thread crap/shit all over it again. We got plenty of that crap in the season finale thread last year. And frankly, I was sick of it. If your going to watch this season and want to chime in and add some constructive comments/criticism, then that's cool. I have no qualms with that. If your not going to watch and have nothing worthwhile to say, watch something else. Mad Men and Game of Thrones are also on. **

It's a new season and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.
Old 04-01-12, 04:55 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,029
Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1519283622001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-killing%2Fvideos%2Fcast-on-season-2-inside-the-killing&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~,-gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1519283622001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-killing%2Fvideos%2Fcast-on-season-2-inside-the-killing&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~,-gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="456" height="388" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Preview with the cast and creators about what to expect in season 2.
Old 04-01-12, 05:03 AM
  #3  
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Island of Staten
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Looking forward to this.
Old 04-01-12, 09:42 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,050
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

This will be my first episode of the show. Based on the way the internet was whining like little bitches about the season one finale, I'm assuming that the mystery hasn't been solved yet, so I can easily jump into this show with a clean slate.
Old 04-01-12, 10:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

That's brave. I wouldn't personally watch this without seeing Season 1 first. Maybe DVR it until you're caught up and go run out and rent the DVD's or something?
Old 04-01-12, 12:29 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

I'll give it a shot. I loved the pilot (and hated the ending of last season) so I guess I want to watch it and see if the payout is worth all the bullshit from the end of season 1.
Old 04-01-12, 02:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

I'm watching. Didn't think the ending of season 1 was bad at all. Would have been nice to have it all wrapped up, but it didn't, so what? bring on season 2.
Old 04-01-12, 02:59 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

I liked the first season, it had some very tense moments. Looking forward to seeing what happens with Holder this season (who is one of the better, more interesting characters in any TV show, in my opinion).
Old 04-01-12, 03:07 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

How appropriate that this show is returning on April Fool's Day...

With that out of the way, I am going to try and have an open mind about the second season. I enjoyed most of the first season; I thought the production value was good and the acting was usually top-notch, but I tired of the repetitive "gotcha moments" and thought the finale was a HUGE letdown. That said, I still want to know who killed Rosie and while I think they ruined the Holder character (my favorite on the show), I want to see where they take him this season.
Old 04-01-12, 03:28 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,548
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

I never watched the show but is the reason people didn't like the season finale was because the case was not solved? I find that an odd reason to hate on it. It seems more realistic as real life cases don't get solved quickly like other shows tend to wrap things up in one episode like Law and Order.
Old 04-01-12, 03:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I never watched the show but is the reason people didn't like the season finale was because the case was not solved? I find that an odd reason to hate on it. It seems more realistic as real life cases don't get solved quickly like other shows tend to wrap things up in one episode like Law and Order.
I think it's because the ads explicitly stated before the season started that the killer would be revealed by the end of the season.

I personally don't care, but I can see where people were pissed off about it.
Old 04-01-12, 04:05 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I never watched the show but is the reason people didn't like the season finale was because the case was not solved? I find that an odd reason to hate on it. It seems more realistic as real life cases don't get solved quickly like other shows tend to wrap things up in one episode like Law and Order.
People tend to not enjoy being lied to.
Old 04-01-12, 04:13 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

** If you hate the show, don't plan on watching, think it's the worst show in the history of mankind, please don't come into this thread and thread crap/shit all over it again.
Who the fuck are you to tell people what to post? Sorry, but fanbois make me want to puke. Nothing is perfect and we are here to discuss both the good and the bad. I am sure the Disney forums would appreciate your rainbow.
Old 04-01-12, 04:19 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by Ayre View Post
Who the fuck are you to tell people what to post? Sorry, but fanbois make me want to puke. Nothing is perfect and we are here to discuss both the good and the bad. I am sure the Disney forums would appreciate your rainbow.
He says critiques are fine, but thread crap is not. Isn't no threadcraping a forum rule anyways?
Old 04-01-12, 04:21 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

One persons thread crap is anothers critique.

If you see a post you don't like contact a moderator.
Old 04-01-12, 04:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,961
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

I'm all in for Season 2. I don't give a shit that they didn't solve it in Season 1.

Still a good show.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 04-01-12, 04:56 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,029
Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
He says critiques are fine, but thread crap is not. Isn't no threadcraping a forum rule anyways?
Originally Posted by Ayre View Post
One persons thread crap is anothers critique.

If you see a post you don't like contact a moderator.
Shit like..

The show sucks, Veena Sud sucks, I hated the season finale and I don't plan on watching. I don't give a shit about the show anymore. AMC and the producers are liars.

That is the type of shit I'm talking about that annoys the fuck out of me and IMO would be regarded is useless commentary and derails interesting thoughts/theories etc.

I never said anything about not being able to discuss the episode intelligently and pointing out shit that you thought didn't work, or sucked. I'm no Disney rainbows with sprinkles on top fan boy and everything is wonderful as you say. I mean shit, this is a dark ass show and I know it's not going to please everybody.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-01-12 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 05:02 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,029
Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I never watched the show but is the reason people didn't like the season finale was because the case was not solved? I find that an odd reason to hate on it. It seems more realistic as real life cases don't get solved quickly like other shows tend to wrap things up in one episode like Law and Order.
Red Herring after Red Herring was the issue alot of people had with season 1.

They wasted alot of time focusing on a character named Bennett as the primary suspect last season and that turned out to be a dead end.

And then with the finale, fingers went to another character named Darren Richmond (Billy Campbell), and that was yet another Red Herring after Sarah discovered the fake photos from Holder.

People were really frustrated and annoyed. Alan Sepinwall on the entertainment blog Hitfix.com hated the finale and vowed to never watch the show again. But, he has since calmed down and reviewed the 2 episodes and gave it a C+. He said it's improved and the acting is still good, but the show is still flawed.
Old 04-01-12, 05:09 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Sepinwall ravaged the finale last year on his and Daniel fienberg's podcast, very entertaining listen
Old 04-01-12, 05:22 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,783
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I never watched the show but is the reason people didn't like the season finale was because the case was not solved? I find that an odd reason to hate on it. It seems more realistic as real life cases don't get solved quickly like other shows tend to wrap things up in one episode like Law and Order.
My problem with the show was that it was unrelentingly dreary. Also, I thought that just following the story day-and-day in that window directly after the killing of the title gave the show a one-note quality, since that sort of locked-down every character and their could be very little resolution of anybody's personal situation. Its not nearly as dark as "Breaking Bad", but "BB" has a variety of characters and moods as well as a great many plot-turns and its endlessly fun to watch. "The Killing" is more of a trial for me. A more powerful ending (and that doesn't necessarily mean an out-and-out resolution to the crime) might have put me in a better frame of mind for the whole season and the work it took to get to the end. I just haven't fully made up my mind about this season.
Old 04-01-12, 05:26 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Will give this a second shot.

My issue wasn't so much the lack of an ending but the contrived twist and cliffhanger at the end. You expect some sort of cliffhanger and some twists, but the last show was weak and poorly setup and didn't fit in logically... Maybe they'll straighten it out in the first few shows of this season?

Hopefully the show doesn't continue in the mode of red herring.... detectives clear that person after a show or two... end of show = new red herring.... rinse... repeat....

EDIT: Oh and the endless need for "grief porn"... while I get they are trying to be realistic, when they do too much of it, it loses it's effect.
Old 04-01-12, 05:42 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,297
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Not sure if this is spoiler territory or not, but Entertainment Weekly (and a few other media outlets) have already confirmed that the killer
Spoiler:
won't be revealed until the final episode of Season 2


Which I think is probably a horrible idea considering the backlash this show is already getting.
Old 04-01-12, 05:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,029
Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
EDIT: Oh and the endless need for "grief porn"... while I get they are trying to be realistic, when they do too much of it, it loses it's effect.
While I thought Michelle Forbes gave a solid performance and was very believable as a grief-stricken mother, I agree they went a little overboard on it. On the other hand, the 1st season took place over the course of 13 days in real-time. While it's a little overboard for television, it's very believable for the family to still be wrecked with grief in only 2 weeks time.
Old 04-01-12, 05:59 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Not sure if this is spoiler territory or not, but Entertainment Weekly (and a few other media outlets) have already confirmed that the killer
Spoiler:
won't be revealed until the final episode of Season 2


Which I think is probably a horrible idea considering the backlash this show is already getting.
It's definitely spoiler territory because I don't know who the killer really is yet and don't want to know until it's revealed on the show, so thank you for spoiler tagging it and I will thank anyone else in advance for not revealing the killer.
Old 04-01-12, 06:37 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Reflections/My Lucky Day" -- 4/01/12

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Not sure if this is spoiler territory or not, but Entertainment Weekly (and a few other media outlets) have already confirmed that the killer
Spoiler:
won't be revealed until the final episode of Season 2


Which I think is probably a horrible idea considering the backlash this show is already getting.
Spoiler:
I read that and it concerns me because I don't know how they are going to do that without more ridiculous red herrings.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.