Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Something for your amusement.
Old 04-16-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

I don't think this is from book 2, per se, but I don't consider it a spoiler at all. Still playing safe...

Spoiler:
I was under the impression that the "What is dead may never die" "baptism" was an actual drowning? Is that reserved for the holiest followers? I fully expected to see Theon inhale the saltwater.

and almost as soon as I ask it, this gets uploaded. Skip to 4:10 for my answer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DIe0Q3PgcOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by pinata242; 04-16-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there are some scenes from upcoming episodes in that segment. I'm assuming the scene with the girl leaving on the boat is Myrcella being shipped of to Dorne. I thought this didn't happen until the 4th book, but maybe my memory is fuzzy or this was an entirely different scene?
Old 04-16-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is Myrcella, but she shipped off in book 2.
Old 04-17-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I don't think this is from book 2, per se, but I don't consider it a spoiler at all. Still playing safe...

Spoiler:
I was under the impression that the "What is dead may never die" "baptism" was an actual drowning? Is that reserved for the holiest followers? I fully expected to see Theon inhale the saltwater.

and almost as soon as I ask it, this gets uploaded. Skip to 4:10 for my answer.
The video is blocked here at work, but I don't remember which book it is covered in so I will spoilerize it.
Spoiler:
Theon has an uncle that was drowned at sea and recovered to be a zealot of their god. He thinks the custom of pouring water over the head is not their god's way, or the Iron way. He actually drowns all of his followers in his baptisms.
Old 04-17-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to GRRM in that video, Theon was drowned as a baby prior to his wardship.
Old 04-23-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it me or did the show combine a few plot lines with the shadow baby. Davos had to take the red woman into Storms end for it to kill the master of the castle in order to get one of Roberts bastards. Its looking like this is the shadow that will
Spoiler:
kill Renly

In the grand scheme of thigs it doesnt make a difference, it just seemed odd to me seeing Davos take her to shore.
Old 04-23-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash
Is it me or did the show combine a few plot lines with the shadow baby. Davos had to take the red woman into Storms end for it to kill the master of the castle in order to get one of Roberts bastards. Its looking like this is the shadow that will
Spoiler:
kill Renly

In the grand scheme of thigs it doesnt make a difference, it just seemed odd to me seeing Davos take her to shore.
I don't believe it was combined here. I remember that scene from the book, and the Renly scene is a separate occurrence.
Old 04-23-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's different. In the book that scene happens after Renly was already killed.
Old 04-23-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Edric Storm isn't necessary for the books show at all. If they deal with that "king's blood for dragons" story, I'm sure they'll just go down the (book 3-5 spoilers)
Spoiler:
Mance/Gilly path
anyway making it redundant.

Last edited by pinata242; 04-23-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think he'd be missed.
Old 04-23-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

IIRC in the book Stannis was still in camp when the first Shadow appeared, and as others have said Davos takes her under the castle to kidnap one of Robert's bastards - they needed him for a sacrafice.
Old 04-23-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read a significant event in Storm of Swords last night. I posted it in the book forum but this area seems to get more traffic.

Spoiler:
Does GRRM have something against women? He seems to have them suffer a lot in his books and when they die it is in a very brutal manner. Granted, the same happens with the men, but he seems to like going into more detail when it's a female character. Catelyn's death was brutal to read, as she is reflecting on the fact that her husband is dead,has just seen Robb murdered, and is under the impression all her children save for Sansa are dead as well. All of this after pleading for her and her son's life. The description of her lying on the ground succumbing to her wounds while she mentally begs them not to cut her hair before slitting her throat was wrenching. Q: were there actually ravens tearing at her face, or was that just the pain she was feeling? In this universe it's hard to tell metaphors from real things sometimes.
Old 04-23-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just read a significant event in Storm of Swords last night. I posted it in the book forum but this area seems to get more traffic.

Spoiler:
Does GRRM have something against women? He seems to have them suffer a lot in his books and when they die it is in a very brutal manner. Granted, the same happens with the men, but he seems to like going into more detail when it's a female character. Catelyn's death was brutal to read, as she is reflecting on the fact that her husband is dead,has just seen Robb murdered, and is under the impression all her children save for Sansa are dead as well. All of this after pleading for her and her son's life. The description of her lying on the ground succumbing to her wounds while she mentally begs them not to cut her hair before slitting her throat was wrenching. Q: were there actually ravens tearing at her face, or was that just the pain she was feeling? In this universe it's hard to tell metaphors from real things sometimes.

I think it is safe to say that with GRRM, The Good guy doesn't usually win.
Old 04-23-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your question:
Spoiler:
She was tearing at her own face with her finger nails but didn't realize she was doing it or what was happening. You have to admit it makes for a particularly vivid image.
Old 04-23-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
To answer your question:
Spoiler:
She was tearing at her own face with her finger nails but didn't realize she was doing it or what was happening. You have to admit it makes for a particularly vivid image.
I wonder how far HBO is going to go with that scene. Could make for memorable TV.
Old 04-23-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I wonder how far HBO is going to go with that scene. Could make for memorable TV.
As well as an interesting final shot of a season finale, which seems like a possibility as they are splitting the third book over two seasons. If this were a regular movie or series with regular guidelines
Spoiler:
I think they would stop with with a few scratches. But with this being HBO, they could very well go all Hellraiser.
Old 04-23-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on season one and episode titles for season two, that'll be episode 9 of season 3. They seem to like to have an epilogue / set up for the next season.
Old 04-23-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Based on season one and episode titles for season two, that'll be episode 9 of season 3. They seem to like to have an epilogue / set up for the next season.
Spoiler:
Maybe closing with the re-risen Lady Stark? Or do you think they'll let her stay dead till season 4?
Old 04-23-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The former. #omgwtfbbq!
Old 04-23-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read elsewhere about the
Spoiler:
zombie Catelyn. While this is fantasy, that just sounds dumb. Like GRRM ran out of ideas.
Old 04-23-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read elsewhere about the
Spoiler:
zombie Catelyn. While this is fantasy, that just sounds dumb. Like GRRM ran out of ideas.
Spoiler:
she's not the first zombie in the series, someone else is a multi-death zombie.
Old 04-24-12, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Yeah, it fits in the world created. Lord Beric gives his own essence to Lady Cat to walk the realm.

BTW, these technically shouldn't be here but in a season 4+ or book thread. Then again, I've given up giving a flying fuck.
Old 04-24-12, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Technically shmechnically, the OP says to stay out if you are worried about spoilers of anything.
Old 04-24-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Technically shmechnically, the OP says to stay out if you are worried about spoilers of anything.
Amen!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.