Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Originally Posted by sven
A real fan of the Reeds would know they aren't twins.
Damnit lol
Old 06-05-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Originally Posted by Mordred
In the books he (presumably) didn't set out to sour the Frey marriage, it just happened naturally when he slept with Jeyne as she was nursing him back to health. Then honor demanded he marry her, despite him realizing it was a mistake. In the show he knows exactly what he's doing the whole time and decides he's going to break his vow.

I liked the way it was written in the book better, because the relationship seemed a little forced in the show. Also, there's no discussion of the girl's honor which means his entire motivation is different. It's still impetuous lust, but he comes across a lot better in the books in my opinion.
I actually think the TV version is more realistic and truer to Robbs character
Old 06-05-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I wasn't a big fan of them last night, but it's not a deal breaker. It never felt like they were all that important in the books.
No spoilers, but I suspect you may be disappointed in the books then because I think that ultimately they are one of the most important elements in the book overall.
Old 06-05-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read the books.
Old 06-05-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I know the Reeds have their fans, but I kind of like what they're doing with Osha. She's gone from being Bran's threat to his lead protector (Hodor might be big, but that's about it). Quite an interesting arc.

What gets me about the series and the books is how everyone south of the wall seems content to ignore everything going on in the area.
Spoiler:
I know Stannis eventually helps out, but that's at the end of book three and I haven't read any further.
I still think Martin has written too many side plots (does he even have a main plot?) and cannot really figure his way out of the situation, hence why he's spending all of his time at conventions as opposed to writing.
Old 06-05-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well she is about to be Rickon's lead protector pretty soon.
Old 06-05-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I still think Martin has written too many side plots (does he even have a main plot?) and cannot really figure his way out of the situation, hence why he's spending all of his time at conventions as opposed to writing.
It's not necessarily too many plots directly, he got tripped up with timing on dany's side of the world and painted himself into a corner - the whole Meereenese knot thing.
Old 06-05-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

With all the changes between S2 and Book Two (into Book Three) -- and general spoilerishness in these threads -- I guess I'm going to finish the rest of the books and be done with it.

Oh and...

Hodor!
Old 06-05-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
Because most people in westoros are assholes, especially roose boltons bastard.
Their tourism bureau should co opt that slogan.

"Come to Westros, where most everyone's an asshole. You'll fit right in"
Old 06-05-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
It's not necessarily too many plots directly, he got tripped up with timing on dany's side of the world and painted himself into a corner - the whole Meereenese knot thing.
I sort of wonder if he shouldn't have kept the five year jump after "A Storm of Swords."

So much shit goes down in that book that it sort feels like the end of something, and there would be a natural pause in the conflict.

But then he gets it in his head that it would be unrealistic for nothing important to have happened in the five year gap, so he starts stretching the story out in the middle where nothing major happens waiting for children and dragons to mature.
Old 06-07-12, 12:53 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I actually think the TV version is more realistic and truer to Robbs character
I disagree. Mordred is exactly right. In the books, he wound up in a situation where he had to chose between dishonoring Jeyne and dishonoring Lord Frey. Sure, it was his own stupidity that got him there (maybe with a little help from Tywin), but he didn't set out to wrong anybody and once he found himself in that predicament, he tried his best to honor both his commitments. In the show, he basically ignores his commitment to Lord Frey. That strikes me as less true to Robb's character (he is his father's son, after all).
Old 06-08-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished season 1 on netflix. Very good stuff. I was thinking about Ned and his concept of honor and what it led to. Starting with the beheading of the deserter and ending with his, I think his concept of honor was seriously flawed. Regardless of whether or not the deserter should be punished, he should have been debriefed thoroughly. It was obvious he was very upset and something out of the ordinary had occured. But Ned just lopped off his head and forgot about it.

Later on in Kings Landing he then goes on to alienate himself and his men from almost everybody else there. I think he never wished to be the Kings Hand and was aware he was out of his depth in the Great Game being played but just blithely went ahead with honorable actions regardless of the consequences. Twice he had his troops slaughtered by the Lannisters. He never seems to have just stopped and thought about what what would happen when he presents things to the queen about the bastards and the incest. It was like he only thought "I must do what is right" rather than think about the effects of his actions. He does not take a long range view of things, only thinking in the moment.

I think this results in dishonor and horror for the very people whom he is representing. He may view his actions as honorable but the results are not. Contrast this with the Kingslayer. He did something which Ned really takes issue with and considers very dishonorable. And yet the reason he did it and the result was, I feel, very honorable. He did protect the realm as opposed to Neds mishandling of almost everything he did in Kings Landing which results in the deaths of almost his entire entourage, his family in great danger and the world at war.

This also reminded me of the Seal debacle with Mike Murphy and his MoH. His actions, which I am sure he thought were honorable, resulted in the death of himself and his entire team save 1 and the deaths of over 30 other guys in the shithook that got shot down. He could have done something other than just letting the 2 locals go, from shooting them, taking them along or aborting the mission. Was it his sense of honor or humanity that caused him to make the decision that ended up killing him? Was it really an honorable decision?

I really liked Neds character and also thought he had a fitting though surprising end. I think he and Murphy thought of honor too simplistically.

A bit of a rave but it really had me thinking about this for the last few weeks. What say ye?
Old 06-08-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TL;DR

I think you're brave for having only watched season one coming into a thread openly marked as season 2 spoilers