Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Can someone refresh my memory on what the major points of difference are?
I just remember him and halfhand having a discussion and him telling Jon to do whatever it takes to win over the wildlings.
Old 06-04-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

The people I watched the show with were all confused as to who razed Winterfell, and also why the hell Bran and Co. would leave. Last we (and the characters!) knew it was surrounded by Stark men. I think the audience and the characters are supposed to assume that the Iron Islanders burned it, but if so, why wouldn't Bran wait for his brothers men to rescue him? Leaving makes little to no sense in the context of the show.
Old 06-04-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
I just remember him and halfhand having a discussion and him telling Jon to do whatever it takes to win over the wildlings.
In the books Jon just lets Ygritte go, he doesn't chase her and never gets separated from Qhorin. The wildlings track Qhorin's group for a while, until it's just Qhorin and Jon left. Qhorin tells Jon that he has to gain their trust and join the wildlings as a spy and orders him to do whatever it takes. The Wildlings surround them and Jon surrenders. They order him to kill Qhorin and they fight until Ghost jumps in and helps Jon kill Qhorin. Rattleshirt still wants to kill Jon, but the rest accept him.
Old 06-04-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrX
That scene didn't make much sense either because if they just turned him over then why does Winterfell still get razed.
Because most people in westoros are assholes, especially roose boltons bastard.
Old 06-04-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
The people I watched the show with were all confused as to who razed Winterfell, and also why the hell Bran and Co. would leave. Last we (and the characters!) knew it was surrounded by Stark men. I think the audience and the characters are supposed to assume that the Iron Islanders burned it, but if so, why wouldn't Bran wait for his brothers men to rescue him? Leaving makes little to no sense in the context of the show.
The wife who has not read the series thought Bran and company GTFO because Luwin told them to get out of there.
Old 06-04-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
The wife who has not read the series thought Bran and company GTFO because Luwin told them to get out of there.
Right, but there was no context for why he told them that. "They might come back" with no information as to who "they" are, is very confusing. The Iron Islanders aren't going to come back because they presumably burned the place and were leaving. If Robb's men come back, that'd be a good thing you'd think.

Also, while presumably they were just exploring the area around Winterfell, I got the impression they were already leaving before they happened upon Luwin. That might just be because I've read the books though.
Old 06-04-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we to assume that Needle is gone for good in the show? I was sure Jaquin was going to give it to her.
Old 06-04-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I really hate the way they rewrote the Robb marriage. In the book it made so much more sense with him giving up his honor where in the series it just seems like teenage lust.
Old 06-04-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
I really hate the way they rewrote the Robb marriage. In the book it made so much more sense with him giving up his honor where in the series it just seems like teenage lust.
I read the books and honestly that's what it felt like in there to me as well.
Old 06-04-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
In the books he (presumably) didn't set out to sour the Frey marriage, it just happened naturally when he slept with Jeyne as she was nursing him back to health. Then honor demanded he marry her, despite him realizing it was a mistake. In the show he knows exactly what he's doing the whole time and decides he's going to break his vow.

I liked the way it was written in the book better, because the relationship seemed a little forced in the show. Also, there's no discussion of the girl's honor which means his entire motivation is different. It's still impetuous lust, but he comes across a lot better in the books in my opinion.
Old 06-04-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Okay, I have a future book question that may or may not pertain to the series:
DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE THIRD BOOK

Spoiler:
If the Whitewalkers are demonic forces, and the Wights are people risen from the dead controlled by the Whitewalkers, then what in the world is Catelyn when she returns from the dead at the end of Storm of Swords? I honestly feel that if your story has three different classes of "zombie", then you really don't have that much focus.

FWIW, I haven't read the 4th or 5th book yet, I'm giving Martin some time to make progress.
Old 06-04-12, 02:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Spoiler:
I count two classes of zombies.
Old 06-04-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Spoiler:
If the Whitewalkers are demonic forces, and the Wights are people risen from the dead controlled by the Whitewalkers, then what in the world is Catelyn when she returns from the dead at the end of Storm of Swords? I honestly feel that if your story has three different classes of "zombie", then you really don't have that much focus.

FWIW, I haven't read the 4th or 5th book yet, I'm giving Martin some time to make progress.
It's explained more later, but you really do have enough information to piece it together yourself by the end of book 3.
Old 06-04-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
Agree.

Also, regarding sack of Winterfell, my theory is that it was Dreadfort/Bolton men outside. The Iron Islanders bartered Theon to the Boltons in exchange for free passage out. Two problems with this theory:
1. Why would the Boltons then sack Winterfell? Out of spite? It's possible, because they're murderous bastards, but who knows.
2. I can't see the Boltons just letting the Iron Islanders walk out of there, no matter what they bartered with. If it's Ramsay out there, he'd take great pleasure in flaying them.

Perhaps Dagmar is actually Ramsay?

Hopefully this will all be cleared up next season.

Lastly, really confused on the direction with Osha. I think at the end of book 2, she takes Rickon off while Bran goes with the Jojens and Hodor to the wall. Now, with no Jojens, they're all together. I can't see Bran going off alone with Hodor (they clearly both need "adult supervision") so Osha's probably got to stick with them (unless
Spoiler:
they meet Coldhands early
).

So, if Osha sticks with them what happens to Rickon? Does he just hang out with Bran?
Spoiler:
I assumed Rickon was going to have his own tale with Osha.

It will be interesting to see how they untangle this.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-04-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the answer from the book regarding the destruction of winterfell
Spoiler:
in the books, it's clearly ramsay bolton who destroys winterfell and kills most/all of what's left of the stark guards and the castle commoners- after being a traitorous, devious, asshole d-bag to everyone he meets..lol

as for the journey north, the reeds were cast for season 3, so I'm guessing they are just delaying the meeting a bit, and then will split up and head their separate ways.
Old 06-04-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Lastly, really confused on the direction with Osha. I think at the end of book 2, she takes Rickon off while Bran goes with the Jojens and Hodor to the wall. Now, with no Jojens, they're all together. I can't see Bran going off alone with Hodor (they clearly both need "adult supervision") so Osha's probably got to stick with them (unless
Spoiler:
they meet Coldhands early
).

So, if Osha sticks with them what happens to Rickon? Does he just hang out with Bran?
Spoiler:
I assumed Rickon was going to have his own tale with Osha.

It will be interesting to see how they untangle this.
About the Reed Twins

Spoiler:
They have been confirmed for season 3
Old 06-04-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
It's explained more later, but you really do have enough information to piece it together yourself by the end of book 3.
Hodor?!?

(That's my confused response.)
Old 06-04-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

What do folks think of the depiction of the White Walkers/Others now that we've finally seen them up close?

Seems like it's quite a departure from the books, where they are more like elves or faeries and not as much like some creature one would find on the cover of a heavy metal album.

Click here to see an artist's depiction of "The Others" from a calendar.
Old 06-04-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't a big fan of them last night, but it's not a deal breaker. It never felt like they were all that important in the books.
Old 06-04-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
She's only in like 1 chapter between books 4 and 5 anyway, so it's not like we get much more info.
Old 06-05-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
I wasn't a big fan of them last night, but it's not a deal breaker. It never felt like they were all that important in the books.
People like you are the reason the Night's Watch is short on men.
Old 06-05-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
From a technical stand point I thought they looked nice. But I'm not a huge fan of the overall look. I expected something a little more badass instead of an iced version of my grandpa.
Old 06-05-12, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About the Reed Twins

Spoiler:
Yes, Reeds, sorry. And that explains it.
Old 06-05-12, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

About the Reed Twins

Spoiler:
A real fan of the Reeds would know they aren't twins.
Old 06-05-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
People like you are the reason the Night's Watch is short on men.
Let the North deal with 'em!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.