Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who: Series 7 (Fall 2012)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 02:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Doctor Who: Series 7 (Fall 2012)

And another thing, why wasn't Francis Wolcott arrested on site given that he was a dead ringer for Jack McCall?!
Old 08-04-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Yup, and that's bugging me as well. Not that Capaldi isn't a wonderful actor, it's just that his prominent role in Children of Earth will make it VERY difficult to explain how the Twelfth Doctor looks so similar to John Frobisher. After all, it was Frobisher who ordered the destruction of the Torchwood Hub and the assassination of the entire Cardiff team. Heck, Captain Jack spent a significant amount of time face-to-face with Frobisher throughout the series.

I'm thinking that the only way to address it is to act as if it never happened. So, unless Children of Earth suddenly becomes non-canon, I fear that there may never be an opportunity for Jack or Gwen to meet Capaldi's Doctor because there's no way they don't recognize him as the human Frobisher.
Loved most of CoE, but didn't see the new guy and think, "Hey, it's that guy from CoE." In fact, I didn't even think about it or realize it until you said so.

I guess I'm fine with the new guy. Will be interesting to see where the show goes. A few things I think this will have an impact on:

1) Less running.
2) Sexual tension with Clara - come on, 11 and her have something going on!
Old 08-04-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I fear that there may never be an opportunity for Jack or Gwen to meet Capaldi's Doctor because there's no way they don't recognize him as the human Frobisher.
Old 08-04-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I am *VERY* excited by Capaldi instead of some 20-year-old muppet. I only hope the show's rather mediocre run of scripts recently measure up to his potential.
Old 08-04-13, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I fear that there may never be an opportunity for Jack or Gwen to meet Capaldi's Doctor because there's no way they don't recognize him as the human Frobisher.
Please. If they want to have Barrowman do a guest spot, they'll do it, and nobody will ever mention that the Doctor looks like Frobisher. You might as well say they'll have to find a new companion since Clara is from modern day Britain and therefore likely is familiar with The Thick of It.
Old 08-04-13, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Please. If they want to have Barrowman do a guest spot, they'll do it, and nobody will ever mention that the Doctor looks like Frobisher. You might as well say they'll have to find a new companion since Clara is from modern day Britain and therefore likely is familiar with The Thick of It.
Exactly. You guys are way overthinking this.

I'll give you a quick guide to Doctor Who canon:

It's whatever the current show runner wants it to be.
Old 08-04-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

"Please?" Please don't be dismissive, it makes you sound pompous.

Torchwood CoE is canon. John Frobisher's interactions with Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper are canon. I believe you are wrong.

And no, I might NOT as well say what you state, your "Thick" reference is a non sequitur and I expect you know that, unless you're taking the position that Wifred Mott knows that his grand-daughter is actually Lauren from the Catherine Tate Show, and that Astrid Perth is actually The Green Fairy from Moulin Rouge.
Old 08-04-13, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karen Gillan's reaction to the news was great! Her tweet said:

"CAPALDI! Great choice. Swear I've seen him in Pompeii..."
Old 08-04-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torchwood CoE is canon. John Frobisher's interactions with Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper are canon. I believe you are wrong.

And no, I might NOT as well say what you state, your "Thick" reference is a non sequitur and I expect you know that, unless you're taking the position that Wifred Mott knows that his grand-daughter is actually Lauren from the Catherine Tate Show, and that Astrid Perth is actually The Green Fairy from Moulin Rouge.
Canon schmanon. It's a TV show. The majority watching aren't going to care.
Old 08-04-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well not happy but hopefully I will be proven wrong. I prefer my Doctor's on the younger side (been watching since Tom Baker when I was a kid and since he was 40, that is around the age I prefer. I also dislike the actor and find him one of the creepiest unlikeable looking people in film/tv. He almost took me out of WWZ because of how creepy and distracting I find him.

All that being said, like I stated earlier I hope to be proven wrong, if not history shows I will only have to miss a few years until they get someone new.
Old 08-04-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

When in doubt, hire the best actor and that's exactly what was done. After putting up with four years of Smith's antics, I'm SO glad to have a ACTOR back in the role of the Doctor. Can't wait to see what he does with the character.
Old 08-04-13, 05:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Frobisher: wears glasses
New Doctor: doesn't wear glasses

There ya go!
Old 08-04-13, 07:55 PM
Suspended

You're right. I apologize -- that was uncalled for on my part.

My point was that the reality of Doctor Who is that these are real-world actors playing fictional characters, and the real-world people who make the show aren't going to let the fact that two fictional characters are played by the same actor stop them from telling a story they want to tell.
Old 08-04-13, 07:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
He almost took me out of WWZ because of how creepy and distracting I find him.
You didn't like him in the role of WHO Doctor?
Old 08-04-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I had to Google who the hell Peter Capaldi is. Children of Earth is my favorite Torchwood series and yet I don't remember him at all. I guess he failed to make an impression on me.
Old 08-04-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I had to Google who the hell Peter Capaldi is. Children of Earth is my favorite Torchwood series and yet I don't remember him at all. I guess he failed to make an impression on me.
I remember him from that, but I forgot he was in The Fires of Pompeii. With both him and Karen Gillian originally appearing in that episode before getting larger roles later on, they're really farming that episode for talent.

If you've ever seen The Thick of It or In the Loop, you'd definitely know who Peter Capaldi is.
Old 08-04-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I remember him from that, but I forgot he was in The Fires of Pompeii. With both him and Karen Gillian originally appearing in that episode before getting larger roles later on, they're really farming that episode for talent.
It sounds like the Dick Wolf approach to casting. Recycle everyone. It's a wonder it took so long for there to be a Law & Order: UK.
Old 08-04-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greydt
Frobisher: wears glasses
New Doctor: doesn't wear glasses

There ya go!
Winner winner, chicken penguin dinner!
Old 08-04-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right. I apologize -- that was uncalled for on my part.
It's all good.

My point was that the reality of Doctor Who is that these are real-world actors playing fictional characters, and the real-world people who make the show aren't going to let the fact that two fictional characters are played by the same actor stop them from telling a story they want to tell.
Fair 'nuff.
Old 08-04-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
\
Who fans really don't care how old the actor is. NuWho fans might tho. They're use to younger actors in the role. My wife was a Tennant fan and immediately said Capaldi was too old.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of blowback over Capaldi from a lot of the "NuWho" female fans who want a younger, cuter/sexier Doctor like Tennant or Smith.

Capaldi seems like a good choice. I really hope that he'll be a different Doctor from Tennant and Smith, who I liked but tended to be kind of goofy and manic, and that having an older actor playing the Doctor will make him more calculating and Machiavellian.

And, yeah, he's been on both DW and TW; doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'll also go on the record as saying that I think Paterson Joseph would make a great Master and play well off of Capaldi.
Old 08-04-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very happy with an older Doctor this time. I tuned out when Smith took over, but will watch again with Capaldi.
Old 08-04-13, 11:35 PM

I'm glad that they went older this time. I don't know much about Capaldi and I hope he'll be good but Jupiter's Cock wouldn't John Hannah have been a great Doctor?
Old 08-05-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danfindlay
wouldn't John Hannah have been a great Doctor?
fuck no.
Old 08-05-13, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I am curious to he will bring to the role. As for already appearing in the same universe. It does not really mean much as characters can change actors and they act like nothing as changed, something I notice they really dislike doing as much these days, they either want to reboot it or some such thing and not just say they are the same person.
Old 08-05-13, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of blowback over Capaldi from a lot of the "NuWho" female fans who want a younger, cuter/sexier Doctor like Tennant or Smith.

Capaldi seems like a good choice. I really hope that he'll be a different Doctor from Tennant and Smith, who I liked but tended to be kind of goofy and manic, and that having an older actor playing the Doctor will make him more calculating and Machiavellian.

And, yeah, he's been on both DW and TW; doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'll also go on the record as saying that I think Paterson Joseph would make a great Master and play well off of Capaldi.
Actually most of the Who fans who were there before all the girls show up are gleefully looking forward to this blowback.

Always fun to be insulted by girls who think the fact that you were watching Who and being a fan of the genre before the cute boys showed up but now that the boys are there, they're the ones dressing up in cosplay being all "We're big fans" but still only started watching MAYBE as far back as Eccleston.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.