Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead - SPOILERS Discussion Thread - Show/Comic - News, rumors, casting

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - SPOILERS Discussion Thread - Show/Comic - News, rumors, casting

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Two -- News, Rumors, Discussion, etc.

Yeah but what the article is saying is making shows with the majority of the run time indoors. That means that the episodes after the pilot and before finding the CDC would have been different.

It's not about "surviving" by turtling because that would make for a boring show.
Old 08-10-11, 09:32 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

For people who say they won't watch the show now that Durabont isn't involved, is it because:

a) of the way Durabont was exited from the project?
b) the assumption is it won't be good without Durabont?
c) both?

Regarding "A," while that's noble solidarity does it change things for Durabont? As for "B," surely it's still worth watching at least once or twice if one enjoyed the first season story.
Old 08-10-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
This Hollywood Reporter article details the Darabont situation and says that he was fired, instead of leaving the show on his own:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-fired-221449
There also have been no public comments from the cast, and a source with knowledge of the situation says AMC has been "terrorizing" them and their representatives to discourage them from speaking out on Darabont's behalf. "They're scared," confirms another insider. "They're on a zombie show. They are all really easy to kill off."

Seems weird that AMC is running off Darabont when this show was an enormous hit. Unless there's something else to the story, they come across as idiots.
Old 08-10-11, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read the whole thing? They are clearly idiots.
Old 08-11-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just read that story and if I were on the production crew of The Walking Dead, I would be pissed and frustrated. AMC owns the fucking show and it was an enormous hit last Fall and I'm sure sold alot of DVD and BD's. I'm surprised at the Penny pinching for season 2. Unless, it's partly because of how much money they are paying Lionsgate, Matt Weiner for Mad Men.

It seems to me that Darabont was given an ultimatum that he had to make the show and make it as good as season 1 with alot less money.

I guess nobody believes in the saying that you have to spend money to make money anymore.
Old 08-11-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
I understand AMC is an up and coming network, but they are really fucking themselves over. Pissing off the creative talent behind Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and Mad Men only builds you a reputation. AMC would be nowhere without those shows.
I agree. Studios aren't going to want to deal with AMC if they keep this up. Since Walking Dead is their own production, I can see how they would want to fuck Darabont over and not give him any leeway in making the show with less money. But, if I were FOX, Lionsgate, Sony or Warner Bros, who produced shows for AMC, I would tell AMC to kiss my ass.
Old 08-11-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just read that story and if I were on the production crew of The Walking Dead, I would be pissed and frustrated. AMC owns the fucking show and it was an enormous hit last Fall and I'm sure sold alot of DVD and BD's. I'm surprised at the Penny pinching for season 2. Unless, it's partly because of how much money they are paying Lionsgate, Matt Weiner for Mad Men.

It seems to me that Darabont was given an ultimatum that he had to make the show and make it as good as season 1 with alot less money.

I guess nobody believes in the saying that you have to spend money to make money anymore.
The bean counters probably ran the projections and concluded they would lose money if the budget wasn't cut. The network has to make money or it will cease to exist.
Old 08-11-11, 03:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

So how long before Greg Nicotero, life long friend of Darabont's, leaves too?
Old 08-11-11, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819
The bean counters probably ran the projections and concluded they would lose money if the budget wasn't cut. The network has to make money or it will cease to exist.
Supposedly Mad Men was the reason the budget had to be cut. The deal they made to keep it broke the bank. Still seems like backward thinking, why cannibalize the budget of a show that has had the best ratings of any show to ever air on basic cable?
Old 08-11-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

After reading both links a page back, all I can say is I am not surprised by any of this.

AMC had a huge problem on their hands...they had three of the best and hottest shows on cable. What I thought was baffling is the treatment of Weiner and Gilligan.

You have two of the best showrunners in town on YOUR network...they are winning awards and bringing attention to the network. Pay the men!

By contrast, if things with those two don't get messy, there are probably no problems with The Walking Dead. People are going to watch in droves, regardless of what the quality of the show is*. Why you would fuck with that is beyond me. Like everything else, it all comes down to $$$. That being said, Glen Mazzara is a fine replacement (just be glad Tim Minear wasn't available) and I think the show should be fine.

*I thought the first season did have a couple of rough patches, but not nearly the catastrophe some have claimed it was.
Old 08-11-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I blame Weiner (Mad Men) for being greedy, and AMC for caving in to his demands.
The way I heard it -- and I have no idea if this is accurate or not -- Weiner didn't want to lose anyone in the ensemble and didn't want to trim the runtime. Everytime he'd meet with AMC about the renewal, those would be his talking points, and AMC would throw a little more money at him to try to get him to back off. Lots of meetings...he wouldn't budge...AMC kept upping and upping his payday. After enough meetings like that, AMC clued in that he wasn't going to relent on those points...but they'd already put so much money on the table for Weiner, and he wasn't gonna let them take it off.

The production values of The Walking Dead are absolutely the best thing about the show. (The writing, though...? Not so much.) Cutting back too much would be a pretty colossal blow.
Old 08-11-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Supposedly Mad Men was the reason the budget had to be cut. The deal they made to keep it broke the bank. Still seems like backward thinking, why cannibalize the budget of a show that has had the best ratings of any show to ever air on basic cable?
Production costs are paid for primarily by the commercial time they sell so if the advertisers aren't willing to pay, their hands are tied.
Old 08-11-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
So how long before Greg Nicotero, life long friend of Darabont's, leaves too?
Once he does it's REALLY dead.
Old 08-11-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Production costs are paid for primarily by the commercial time they sell so if the advertisers aren't willing to pay, their hands are tied.
If an outside studio like say Sony or Lionsgate produces the show, they actually pick up the physical production costs. The network will pay the licensing fee.
Old 08-11-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Four days inside and four days out? That's not Walking Dead," says this insider. "This is not a show that takes place around the dinner table." That was just one of what this person describes as "silly notes" from AMC. Couldn't the audience hear the zombies sometimes and not see them, to save on makeup?

A zombie show without zombies? Come on AMC
Old 08-11-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

You certainly can not see the zombies but hear them for certain scenes (Rick's scene in the hospital comes to mind), but you can't do that consistently. that's not good storytelling at all.
Old 08-11-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

AMC is gaining quite the reputation.

Maybe they can just bring in Matt Miller to bury the show for good.
Old 08-11-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've already departed from the comic quite a bit, but AMC must have loved the part where ...
Spoiler:
they settle down in the prison for a while. They could have an entire season take place mostly on a single set with few zombies in sight.
Old 08-11-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Just another bad decision by AMC in a long line of them.
Old 08-12-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a few ideas for them to save money:

1. Stop saying "Previously on AMC's Mad Men/The Walking Dead/Breaking Bad."

Cutting out that AMC will save about 1 extra second per episode, giving us about 39 extra seconds of ad space per year, and that's just for original episodes. For re-runs, that could add up to several minutes! There. Several hundred thousand dollars extra AND you look less douchy. Win-win.

2. Don't show any "Next time on..." clips on TV, direct viewers to go online (where they already are, along with entire out of context scenes from the upcoming episode), thereby saving more precious minutes. There's some more extra revenue for you, AMC.

3: Don't hire Rudy Giuliani to host "Mob Week." Savings: About $39.
Old 08-12-11, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I have a few ideas for them to save money:

1. Stop saying "Previously on AMC's Mad Men/The Walking Dead/Breaking Bad."

Cutting out that AMC will save about 1 extra second per episode, giving us about 39 extra seconds of ad space per year, and that's just for original episodes. For re-runs, that could add up to several minutes! There. Several hundred thousand dollars extra AND you look less douchy. Win-win.

2. Don't show any "Next time on..." clips on TV, direct viewers to go online (where they already are, along with entire out of context scenes from the upcoming episode), thereby saving more precious minutes. There's some more extra revenue for you, AMC.

3: Don't hire Rudy Giuliani to host "Mob Week." Savings: About $39.
To recoup even more money, they could always post Mad Men, Walking Dead episodes on their website or Hulu with commercials. I realize they want people to watch it on TV that week, but it's an easy way to recoup more of the production costs and you could always delay posting it 7 days after the episode finishes it's re-airs on AMC. It's better to have a non-cable subscriber watch it legally and make some money than have them Pirate the show and not make a dime.
Old 08-12-11, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
They've already departed from the comic quite a bit, but AMC must have loved the part where ...
Spoiler:
they settle down in the prison for a while. They could have an entire season take place mostly on a single set with few zombies in sight.
Yeah. I don't get the "no indoors" stuff as MUCH of the comic takes place inside or huddled around camp-fires.
Old 08-12-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it really that much more expensive to shoot outdoors?
Old 08-12-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
To recoup even more money, they could always post Mad Men, Walking Dead episodes on their website or Hulu with commercials. I realize they want people to watch it on TV that week, but it's an easy way to recoup more of the production costs and you could always delay posting it 7 days after the episode finishes it's re-airs on AMC. It's better to have a non-cable subscriber watch it legally and make some money than have them Pirate the show and not make a dime.
Netflix signed a huge deal to get Mad Men for streaming, so I'd imagine Lionsgate probably makes far more money from that deal than they would from a Hulu deal.
Old 08-12-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Is it really that much more expensive to shoot outdoors?
Part of the problem with outdoors is weather. If they plan to shoot Saturday, then it's rains that day, they still have to pay the cast and crew for that day, plus the make up day.

Shooting outdoors can also cause continuity problems with lighting and shadows as the sun changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.