Old 03-18-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Shameless -- "A Great Cause" -- 3/18/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
With Monica around and pitching in, Fiona is able to devote more time to pursuing her GED and seek a promotion at the club; Steve learns Estefania is still in love with her ex-boyfriend, so he and Lip conspire to sneak her beau back into the country. Meanwhile, Ian is busy dodging a vengeful Terry Milkovich; and Lip ponders the possibility that he might be poppa to Mandy's impending arrival.

Episode 10 of 12
Old 03-19-12, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shameless -- "A Great Cause" -- 3/18/12

Good episode.
Old 03-19-12, 07:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Feel bad for Fiona...

Thos.
Old 03-19-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Why not leave the mom's dumbass in jail?
Old 03-19-12, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Why not leave the mom's dumbass in jail?
Jail? Who's in jail? Wait don't tell me. I haven't watched it yet. I'll get around to it tonight and find out for myself. Jail? Mom? There's a couple of possibilities.
Old 03-19-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The reveal that Mandy's dad is the father of her child was incredibly fucked up.

I feel bad for Fiona too. That scene at the end with Lip lashing out and her coming to the realization that she can't do what she wants to do was pretty sad.
Old 03-19-12, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The reveal that Mandy's dad is the father of her child was incredibly fucked up.
He doesn't get drunk and fuck her too often though, so it's no big deal.
Old 03-19-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ian's face when she said that was great.
Old 03-19-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a question regarding the UK version. I really enjoy the US version and decided to give the UK one a shot, but after the first 20 minutes I discovered that it was basically identical. Not only were the scenes the same, but the dialog was often word for word with just the slang swapped out for the entire episode. Does that continue after the first episode or does it start to break away pretty quick? I recall The Office was pretty similar at first, but it quickly became it's own show.

I'm not too interested in just rewatching the show the with different actors, but if they move away from each other I'd be more interested in sticking with the UK one. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-19-12, 02:48 PM

I watched the first 6 seasons of the U.k. version and while the first season does follow alot of what happened in the u.k. series the rest is really different. The second season is pretty much all original. it's like the office. Season one was exactly identical to the british version but the rest was all original.
Old 03-19-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Felt really bad for Fiona at the end. Was kind of hoping she was grab her Mom out of the bed and throw her ass out.

Why didn't Fiona just hide the money in her room or better yet, open a savings account?

Lip shouldn't have bailed her out and wasted what was left of their winter funds.

The whole incest reveal with Mandy was beyond fucked up.

at the Mexicans in the truck screwing around with Frank.

at Sheila being unable to resist Jody's seduction.

at Estefania's boyfriend being locked up and lost in the shipping container and threatening to kill Steve.
Old 03-19-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why didn't Fiona just hide the money in her room or better yet, open a savings account?
I had this question a few threads back.

You feel bad for Fiona, but the writers make her character too fucking stupid.
Hide the fucking money better! Coffee can in the kitchen? Really? With Frank around?

She's had enough of her mother I assume, but she still lets Frank off the hook? Frank may not have known exactly where the money came from, but he's still an accomplice... and where ever he is, trouble manages to find him.

At this point Frank should be out of the house for good. No excuses, but Fiona is a moron so nothing will happen to him.

Lip shouldn't have bailed her out and wasted what was left of their winter funds.
Yes, another stupid move by a character.
Old 03-20-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did Lip forget that he spoke Italian the last episode? He had to go get an instant Portuguese translator for her phone call, but can understand her now when she is threatening Steve?

And Finona needed to bitch slap Lip and tell him she might not be able to do what she wants, but it is because of her fucking siblings and that means he can go back to school or take over for her so she can.
Old 03-20-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I work with poor people who receive large sums of money every day. We often recommend opening a bank account, or at the very least going to our bank to cash the check without fees. But invariably we get a call an hour or two later where people are trying to cash 4 and 5 figure checks at a local checks cashed store and losing 3-4%.

It just doesn't enter their thought process. They don't know how to deal with saving. You'd think Fiona would be smarter than that, but I say the same thing about a lot of people we deal with.
Old 03-20-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The spray tan scene was great.
Old 03-20-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I fucking hate Frank. He's the most despicable character I've ever seen. And now the mom is back in the picture? Just as equally despicable. I wish the show was just about the kids surviving on their own, and get rid of Frank.
Old 03-20-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I fucking hate Frank. He's the most despicable character I've ever seen. And now the mom is back in the picture? Just as equally despicable. I wish the show was just about the kids surviving on their own, and get rid of Frank.
Really enjoyed Frank being at Shiela's and the mom away with Bob. I like Frank around, but not in the house.
Old 03-20-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Avoiding taxes would be my guess. I think most of that money was earned under the table.

Did Lip forget that he spoke Italian the last episode? He had to go get an instant Portuguese translator for her phone call, but can understand her now when she is threatening Steve?
Lip only understands certain words that are similar between the two languages. He must have recognized a word in the last episode and wanted to see exactly what the conversation was about. He didn't understand everything she was saying. During the argument he was only picking up on certain words as well.
Old 03-21-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Feel sorry for Finoa, but dang I loved how they photographed her jogging in the stretchy pants at every possible angle.
Old 03-21-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Regarding Karen's baby, does anyone else think that...
Spoiler:
Lip will not be the father? Why else would they have Karen asking that one guy for money for an abortion a few episodes ago?
Old 03-22-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn't she tell Lip he wasn't the only possible dad? I assume she was hitting up every guy she had slept with in the last six months or so to score some cash.
Old 03-22-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Regarding Karen's baby, does anyone else think that...
Spoiler:
Lip will not be the father? Why else would they have Karen asking that one guy for money for an abortion a few episodes ago?
She's a scumbag. She asked him for abortion money but obviously didn't get one. She was just extorting the guy for money.

That said, it's very possible Lip isn't the father and this is the kind of show to pull off such a Deus Ex Machina and have the baby be black. Everything goes back to normal in the end.

However, I can also see the clear cut ending where it is Lips baby and they give it up for adoption. Lip is distraught about it but realizes that it needs to happen because he can't support a kid. This leads to the epiphany that he should be in college. It would bring his story line this season full circle.
Old 03-22-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001
She's a scumbag. She asked him for abortion money but obviously didn't get one. She was just extorting the guy for money.

That said, it's very possible Lip isn't the father and this is the kind of show to pull off such a Deus Ex Machina and have the baby be black. Everything goes back to normal in the end.
Liam established that there is black in the Gallagher blood, he may look like Frank's AA sponsor, but he is Frank's son.
Old 03-22-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Liam established that there is black in the Gallagher blood, he may look like Frank's AA sponsor, but he is Frank's son.
I think we determined last season that the stuff about Frank's AA sponsor was only in Showtime advertisements and not part of the actual show. So it may not be considered canon necessarily. Plus, I can't imagine Frank ever being in AA!

So I assume Marco was left to die in the shipping container...or will we get a resolution in the next episode. When they starting yelling Marco in the shipyard, I expected one of them to start yelling "Marco...Polo."
Old 03-22-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by windom
I think we determined last season that the stuff about Frank's AA sponsor was only in Showtime advertisements and not part of the actual show. So it may not be considered canon necessarily. Plus, I can't imagine Frank ever being in AA!
Frank says it in the first couple of minutes of the pilot episode where he is describing the his family; since it was in the actual episode I would consider it cannon. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank had attended AA, especially since it was when his wife was still around - but just because he attended doesn't mean he participated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.