Old 03-04-12, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Breakout Kings -- Season Premiere -- "An Unjust Death" -- 3/04/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-02-09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the second-season opener, the team hunt a merciless serial killer whom Lloyd's testimony helped convict. Meanwhile, Charlie gets offered a promotion, putting the fate of the program in jeopardy.

Season 2 is reportedly only 10 episodes from a tweet I read off Nick Santora's Twitter page. Santora is the co-showrunner of Breakout Kings.

Oh and regarding the whole "King will Fall" tagline:

Spoiler:
According to this interview with Serinda Swan, one of the cast members is indeed getting killed off. She doesn't say who obviously.

http://www.tvline.com/2012/03/breako...son-2-preview/

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vXULJq_yWRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- Season Premiere -- "An Unjust Death" -- 3/04/12

RE: One King Will Fall

Spoiler:
It better not be Lloyd.
Old 03-04-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCwZJa35u_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-12, 02:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad to have this show back
Old 03-04-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sunday DVR is packed now with the return of this. I have to pick it up on the replay.
Old 03-04-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liam McPoyle visited his brother Ryan in prison on tonight's episode of Breakout Kings.
Old 03-04-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Liam McPoyle visited his brother Ryan in prison on tonight's episode of Breakout Kings.
That was absolutely a great moment!

Certainly didn't go down the way I envisioned it. Storyline-wise, it might make some kind of sense, but I really didn't like which King they picked. (Not that I thought any of them would be good, but I kind of had my guess and was settled on it already.)
Old 03-04-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So I guess we got ourselves a recurring villain finally.

Shame to see
Spoiler:
Charlie
go. Though I don't think I would have been happy with any of them biting it, to be honest.

So was this a purely creative decision or did the actor in question want out of the show?
Old 03-04-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic premiere for the second season.

I'm really going to miss Charlie. He was a stand-up guy right up until the end. Calling Erica in to be the last thing he saw was a nice moment. While it won't be the same without him I appreciate that they've sort of upped the stakes with someone important dying. Going into the episode knowing someone was going to die I tried to pick out which one I'd miss the least during the episode, and I honestly couldn't do it. Lloyd is still my favorite, but everyone brings something different to the table and I genuinely like the entire cast.

Jimmi Simpson continues to impress me with his range. I already knew he was great at comedy, but he's surprisingly adept at drama as well. It's nice to see him on a show where he gets to do both.

I'm also glad one of the runners actually got away this time and will be a recurring villain. That's something I felt they really needed to do in the second season to keep the show from getting stale and I think it will work out well in the long-run. It will be interesting to see the crew pursuing him in the future despite having orders not to.

I still think it's pretty impressive how they continue to come up with creative ways for each runner to escape from custody and that each one has different motivations for doing so.

All in all, a great premiere with a lot of good action, drama, and comedy. That's exactly what I want to see from this show and it totally delivered.
Old 03-05-12, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Fantastic premiere.

RIP Charlie. Total game changer. I'm really surprised that Santora and Olmstead had the guts to kill off a lead character so soon in the series run. Now that I think about it, I think the intent was to set up Ray this season to get some redemption and gain respectability back as a Marshall.

As the others have said, Awesome to have a recurring villain this season. I know Jason Behr from Roswell and he was a good villain. I liked his evil banter with Lloyd.

Loved Julianne. Liked that she let her hair down and had a little more sassiness.

I looked at the Breakout Kings Facebook page and every black person, epecially women hates that they killed off Laz Alonso. The women claim they won't watch the show anymore because he was the only reason they watched. Their loss.

Edit: I just checked Twitter and again, mostly black fans of the show are bitching about Laz being killed off. All of them claim they are done with the show. LOL.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-05-12 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-05-12, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get the women complaining, but the regular black folk have Shea to latch onto if all they need is a black actor in a lead role.

Either way, it sucks they got rid of Charlie. I liked his interplay with Ray and how no-BS he could be towards the team despite the fact that he always had their back.
Old 03-05-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Agreed: TREMENDOUS season premier--feels like they really kicked it up about 7 notches. Just awesome.
Old 03-05-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

Laz Alonso just said on his Twitter page that it wasn't his decision to be killed off.

Maybe he can return to Southland? I know he also had a recurring part on that show as well.
Old 03-05-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I figured it would either be him or Julianne. Crazy way to start the season. Nice to see some redemption for Ray. I wonder if they will get someone else to join the crew to help Ray or if they go at it as a foursome.
Old 03-05-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI

Laz Alonso just said on his Twitter page that it wasn't his decision to be killed off.

Maybe he can return to Southland? I know he also had a recurring part on that show as well.
Thanks. I've been seriously wondering about how this decision came about. So it seems it was purely a creative decision. I wonder if they'll pull a stunt like this again.
Old 03-05-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I thought the convicts would be in witness protection after they took down the drug queen pin in the season finale. They made her sound like a big threat and she now knows they work with the marshalls so their cover is blown.

Otherwise a great start to the season.
Old 03-05-12, 08:08 PM

lol at all the people saying they only watched for him ... and now will take this off Dvr. I was surprised they killed someone in the first episode i thought The one king will fall was a general season thing and it was going to happen later on in the season. Love the slight Mcpoyle Reunion, if only their sister stopped by
Old 03-05-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a fantastic episode, but I have to say the 10 ep order and the elimination of a lead makes me worry A&E is running short on money for original shows of any quality (anything not to do with a storage locker or what have you).
Old 03-06-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I thought it was a fantastic episode, but I have to say the 10 ep order and the elimination of a lead makes me worry A&E is running short on money for original shows of any quality (anything not to do with a storage locker or what have you).
Those moves smack of a cut to the production budget by the network.
Old 03-06-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad to have this show back and I thought it was a great opener. Killing off Charlie, an important character, was a smart and ballsy choice. It gives the season more seriousness and establishes a nice arc that I assume will give them a chance to break away from the procedural formula every once in a while. I was afraid they may have gone with a safe choice and killed off Julianne, which wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Also, by killing off Charlie it's going to change the show and that's something that had to be done if they want a chance at a third season. Considering how long it took to get a commitment to a second season, it wouldn't be a smart move to follow the same exact formula as the first season. At least now they have a chance to grow.

Oh, and for all the people dumping the show because of losing Charlie, that's really dumb. Grow up.
Old 03-06-12, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Glad to have this show back and I thought it was a great opener. Killing off Charlie, an important character, was a smart and ballsy choice. It gives the season more seriousness and establishes a nice arc that I assume will give them a chance to break away from the procedural formula every once in a while. I was afraid they may have gone with a safe choice and killed off Julianne, which wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Also, by killing off Charlie it's going to change the show and that's something that had to be done if they want a chance at a third season. Considering how long it took to get a commitment to a second season, it wouldn't be a smart move to follow the same exact formula as the first season. At least now they have a chance to grow.

Oh, and for all the people dumping the show because of losing Charlie, that's really dumb. Grow up.
Nice man. Good write up.
Old 03-06-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Agreed. In a show where they're constantly hunting escaped fugitives (many of them murderers), it's realistic that someone would be killed eventually.
Great start to the new season!
Old 03-06-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clappj
Agreed. In a show where they're constantly hunting escaped fugitives (many of them murderers), it's realistic that someone would be killed eventually.
Great start to the new season!
And having the death be a team leader like Charlie makes it far more "real" than killing a support character like Julia.

I also like how matter-of-fact his death was. No heroic last stand. Shot from the back and too weak to retaliate, though he did try. It was tough to see him so powerless.
Old 03-06-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the exception of a couple of forced comedy scenes I'm with everyone else, excellent start to the season.