DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Doomsday Preppers Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/598770-doomsday-preppers-discussion-thread.html)

dsa_shea 02-07-12 07:38 PM

Doomsday Preppers Discussion Thread

Series premiere is tonight at 9 eastern on the National Geographic Channel and there are 2 episodes lined up for tonight. Wanting to know if anyone else is watching and willing to discuss.

TheKing 02-07-12 08:01 PM

Re: Doomsday Preppers Discussion Thread

You might want to mention that this airs on the National Geographic Channel, and there are two episodes airing tonight.

dsa_shea 02-07-12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 11106795)
You might want to mention that this airs on the National Geographic Channel, and there are two episodes airing tonight.

Thanks for that. I didn't think to put that in my original post.

superdeluxe 02-07-12 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11106762)
Series premiere is tonight at 9 eastern on the National Geographic Channel and there are 2 episodes lined up for tonight. Wanting to know if anyone else is watching and willing to discuss.

Dvr'ing

mugwump 02-08-12 07:32 AM

That was pretty awful. And anyone who is seriously preparing for TEOTWAWKI wouldn't be stupid enough to show their setup on TV. Maybe in a few decades someone can do a serious study on the early 21st century American mindset and its obsession with zombies and the end of the world.

dsa_shea 02-08-12 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 11107134)
That was pretty awful. And anyone who is seriously preparing for TEOTWAWKI wouldn't be stupid enough to show their setup on TV. Maybe in a few decades someone can do a serious study on the early 21st century American mindset and its obsession with zombies and the end of the world.

It is not a mindset I subscribe to but it is interesting to see what people do and how they plan for an end of the world scenario. People like these have been around for a long time and it is not likely to change. It would be cool to be self sufficient and not have to rely so much on the outside world. I was surprised to see the statistics on how many families that live completely off the grid. My biggest fear would be for us to lose our electricity and lose it for a long time. Our society would be in chaos in less than a month. Guaranteed!

Was it awful because the show wasn't very interesting to you or because you think that people that choose to live like this are crazy?

superdeluxe 02-08-12 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 11107134)

My understanding is that some of the people did not use real names/ and only showed part of their tactics.

I do tend to agree that opsec would be at the highest priority, but perhaps they mitigated that risk with false names/address etc.

mugwump 02-08-12 05:30 PM

I just thought they did a poor job of analyzing each person's preparedness and there was an oddness to the show in the way they tried to make them look a little kooky while never actually asking any in depth questions. The show really needs a host to interact with the people and figure out what they're really all about.

And no, I have no issue with people living off the grid and enjoy Les Stroud's stuff as well as that old chestnut "Alone in the Wilderness" that PBS always rolls out during pledge week. Heck, I even read "Backwoodsman" magazine as I find the whole topic of true self-sufficiency so fascinating.

dsa_shea 02-09-12 04:57 PM

Anyone know if this season is going to be a full one or just a handful or episodes? I only see a couple more listed.

PhantomStranger 02-09-12 09:44 PM

Some of the people have clear hoarding issues. The one couple that filled their house to the gills with gourmet food as they called it were hoarders more than survivalists. And I'm not too sure how serious some of these people take the subject, as the hippie couple refused to even consider weapons beyond bows and hatchets.

madcougar 02-10-12 09:14 AM

Watched what I think was the first episode with the people living in the cargo containers. I was horrified and impressed with their tenacity to prepare. I was also grossed out at the thought of eating that canned chicken years from now. Judging from their ages, there's a good chance that they won't get to use any of that stuff. Anyone ever have corn candy?

I got a kick out of the chick from Houston. She must live real close to me. That army surplus store is about a mile from where I live and that park she was working out in is down the street from my house! She seemed like she was more nuts than anything. I work in the energy sector and I can tell you that we are not going to run out of oil for at least 50 years. Oh sure, you'll hear stories about it as the industry tries to milk us for more money, but a complete end to oil? Not for a while.

starman9000 02-10-12 09:58 AM

What was with her claiming to work out 4 hours a day and then getting tired after walking for 4 miles? :lol:

Not sure I get the mentality of the guy with the ham radio prepping. If you are so worried about survival, getting healthy should be your primary concern.

crankyman 02-10-12 11:32 AM

perhaps for him.....doomsday would be a shortage of ham.

mugwump 02-10-12 07:25 PM

I've always wondered why the survivalist types spend so much time, effort, and money on stockpiling supplies and training with weapons but won't get their bodies into top-notch shape which would seem to be a prerequisite to long-term, off the grid living. You don't want to have any severe health issues in a SHTF environment.

Jason 02-10-12 09:27 PM

So are any of these people going to be honest enough to admit on national television that the real reason they're looking forward to a doomsday scenario is so they can have free reign to shoot people they don't like (i.e., minorities)?

Cardiff Giant11 02-11-12 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11111157)
So are any of these people going to be honest enough to admit on national television that the real reason they're looking forward to a doomsday scenario is so they can have free reign to shoot people they don't like (i.e., minorities)?

Anthony??
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Om0YxyZyKV...hony_Cumia.jpg

BustaCones 02-13-12 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 (Post 11111545)

Ha, that was the first thing I thought of. Can't wait to hear his thoughts on the show.

whotony 02-15-12 05:35 PM

Watched the ep were the guy shot his thumb off on a misfire.
I know nothing about guns or rifles in this case

Did he have his hand somewhere he shouldn't that caused his thumb to be destroyed on that misfire?

superdeluxe 02-15-12 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11111157)

So what people who prepare wants to kill minorities?

majorjoe23 02-15-12 07:19 PM

I think you might be missing a comma in that sentence.

whotony 02-15-12 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 11117086)
So what, people who prepare want to kill minorities.

There, fixed.

jpb07 02-16-12 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11117077)

Did he have his hand somewhere he shouldn't that caused his thumb to be destroyed on that misfire?

I believe that they implied he had it at the end of the gun. You can shoot a red balloon all you want but it's no good if you are dumb enough to shoot yourself afterwards.

dsa_shea 02-17-12 06:51 PM

I find it odd that these people are willing to stockpile food for what could be years out from a disaster. Even canned food doesn't have an endless shelf life. Besides, I'm not sure I want to live eating from cans while trying to shoot intruders.

SteelWill 02-17-12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11117077)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...Handgun_Horror

starman9000 02-17-12 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11119837)
I find it odd that these people are willing to stockpile food for what could be years out from a disaster. Even canned food doesn't have an endless shelf life.

The food these people are canning has a shelf life a lot longer than they'll be around. It might end up tasting bad or bland, but would do the job.

Personally, I just can't help thinking if you stockpile for more than, at a high end average, 3 years, it's pointless. If I don't have the ability to live off the land in some crazy post-apocalyptic society after a year of chaos and readjusting to no-electricity/gas...then so be it.