DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The X Factor cleans house -- Fires Nicole, Paula and Steve Jones (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/598516-x-factor-cleans-house-fires-nicole-paula-steve-jones.html)

DJariya 01-31-12 02:53 AM

The X Factor cleans house -- Fires Nicole, Paula and Steve Jones

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/paul...n-to-x-factor/

EXCLUSIVE: Today at The X Factor there was a bloodbath which just claimed its biggest name. Not only are host Steve Jones and judge Nicole Scherzinger exiting from the Fox show, but now a Simon Cowell insider just told me that his longtime friend and American Idol colleague Paula Abdul won’t be returning as an X Factor judge next season. I understand from sources that none of the three left on their own accord and that it was cleaning house day at the so-so rated reality series. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any backlash against Simon because of Paula’s popularity.

Earlier tonight, Fox confirmed the departures of both Scherzinger as a judge and Jones as host. The two, originally paired as co-hosts, had been considered the weakest links and likely casualties going into Season 2 after receiving mostly negative reviews for their performances last season. But my news that Abdul is out as well comes as a surprise given her long history with Cowell. With Abdul, Scherzinger and Jones gone, Cowell and L.A. Reid remain the only X Factor personalities from Season 1 to make it to Season 2. Cowell hinted at a major shakeup on the show last month when he was quoted as saying “We change these shows all the time.” Especially after The X Factor failed to live up to Cowell’s own expectations. He famously predicted an average audience of 20 million for the series’ first season. But in actuality, it drew 12.4 million. This are not the first cast changes on The X Factor. Original judge Cheryl Cole was let go after one taping, replaced by Scherzinger. Later on, Scherzinger and Abdul became embroiled in the controversy surrounding the shocking elimination of frontrunner Rachel Crow.

Wow, I expected Nicole to go and possibly Steve Jones, but didn't expect Paula to go too. I think this might be good though. The show needs some re-tooling and hopefully Simon and FOX will find a formula that works better for the 2nd season.

Personally I would love to see Cat Deeley take over as host. SYTYCD is being re-vamped to 1 day a week when it returns this summer and she will have the time.

Sonic 01-31-12 02:59 AM

Re: The X Factor cleans house -- Fires Nicole, Paula and Steve Jones

It's about time.

TerryW 01-31-12 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by TerryW
The host is extremely annoying and I'm betting he will NOT be back next season. Hell, I don't think L.A. Reid should be back.

This doesn't surprise me at all. When Paula and Nicole lost it and couldn't even do their job and vote they should have been fired on the spot. That was pathetic. The host, Steve, was an absolute tool and doesn't belong on television. He was way too uncomfortable and fidgety.

Simon still should've fired Reid.

mphtrilogy 01-31-12 08:33 AM

all good moves... show needs major tweaking but the core of a decent idea is there..

simon needs to stop chearleading though, I think that was a big problem... he was better as a hired gun with nothing at stake...

la reid was solid with his critique but horrendous with his talent picks...

Timber 01-31-12 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11096922)

Personally I would love to see Cat Deeley take over as host. SYTYCD is being re-vamped to 1 day a week when it returns this summer and she will have the time.

Best news, or the only news I really care about in this thread. Maybe now I can pick back up SYTYCD. Love the show and love, love Cat but time commitment made me stop watching it.

DRG 01-31-12 08:52 AM

Thank goodness. Steve brought nothing to the table and seemed to crumble when things didn't go according to script. Nicole was just awful.... she was at times timid, at times petty.

Paula might have been more tolerable if someone competent was in Nicole's seat - she was the lesser of the two evils - but having two useless judges on one panel was too much. I think Paula was there to bring in that '2/3 of the original Idol team' publicity to the show, so I guess in a way she served her purpose.

I like the Cat suggestion, although I'm not sure what Nigel Lythgoe would think of that, given he's also the Idol producer. I'd love if they brought Cheryl Cole back as a judge, but I'm not sure if she'd even want to come back after the way she was treated. Either way, they need a strong woman on that panel, someone who can go toe-to-toe with Simon without resorting to the vengeful, passive aggressive tactics Nicole used in their conflicts.

MikahC 01-31-12 08:57 AM

When Paula and Nicole lost it and couldn't even do their job and vote they should have been fired on the spot.
You may have a slight bias showing. Paula and Nicole deferred to the voting public just the same as Simon did. It's an legitimate option they have to use. They were honest about why they were using it (ambivalent... meaning equal feelings on both sides).

I agree about Steve.

I don't agree about L.A. Reid.

Also, there's no guarantee what we get will be any better than what we had.

clckworang 01-31-12 11:51 AM

I'm not at all surprised that they are getting rid of Steve and Nicole. I think those are good moves, but it does surprise me that they would get rid of Paula.

DVD Josh 01-31-12 12:03 PM

It doesn't matter. Until the judges stop making the show about themselves, it's all window dressing.

clckworang 01-31-12 02:26 PM

It has now been confirmed that Paula is out.

Shannon Nutt 01-31-12 02:53 PM

Now all they need to do is fire LA Reid, tell Simon his show is cancelled, and all will be well. :)

I thought The X Factor was pretty bad, but having watched AI the past couple of weeks I realized it was downright AWFUL.

dan30oly 01-31-12 02:53 PM

paula was my fave

Obi-Wanma 01-31-12 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 11097622)
paula was my fave

of course she was.

RoboDad 01-31-12 03:39 PM

They'll have to make a lot more changes than firing some of the "talent" to get me to watch again. The whole structure of the show is wrong. All we got in season one was a bunch of massively over-produced music videos as "performances", and judges (especially Reid) who were so self-absorbed that they just kept amping up the numbers until they were completely absurd.

And, of course, the whole voting process was useless. Not once did any judge ever vote to send their own contestant home, even when it was clearly the right thing to do.

Make it a singing competition, and kill the ongoing mentor bit. Having them as mentors before the first competition episode is fine, but not week after week. For the live performances, give them a song to sing, a microphone, a guitar or piano if desired, and a standard backup band, and let them sing.

Oh, and PLEASE stop with the ridiculous pregnant pauses when announcing who is going home. A couple of times, I was able to use my 30-second skip button TWICE between the "and the person going home is..." and the actual announcement of the name.

But as it is, I doubt they will make any substantial changes beyond what has already been announced, so I don't plan to be back for season two.

Sonic 01-31-12 04:54 PM

I had a strong gut feeling FOX was going to clean house. That last show was a disaster and an embarrassment.

The problem with the show is how close the judges get with the contestants telling them they are going to make it and be a star, only to see them fail much later on and that's wrong. They need to restructure everything and make it where judges don't take sides and don't get so attached to the singers.

fujishig 01-31-12 05:26 PM

I'm sure Dunkleman's still available to host.

Having not seen the show at all, what was the controversy about Paula and the voting?

Pizza 01-31-12 05:52 PM

Firing Cole right out of the gate sent a bad message that the show was in trouble. They should have kept her as she would have been worlds better than Paula and Nicole. And I agree about the judges not voting off their talent. They do need a different set up so their egos aren't on the line and they can tell it like it is. it especially hurt Simon's appeal as a "judge."

DJariya 01-31-12 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 11097099)
I like the Cat suggestion, although I'm not sure what Nigel Lythgoe would think of that, given he's also the Idol producer. I'd love if they brought Cheryl Cole back as a judge, but I'm not sure if she'd even want to come back after the way she was treated. Either way, they need a strong woman on that panel, someone who can go toe-to-toe with Simon without resorting to the vengeful, passive aggressive tactics Nicole used in their conflicts.

Your right. I didn't think about that. Cat works for Nigel on SYTYCD and he is EP on Idol, which is essentially a competitor to this show. Doubtful that Nigel would let her work on a competing show.

DJariya 01-31-12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 11097790)
I had a strong gut feeling FOX was going to clean house. That last show was a disaster and an embarrassment.

The problem with the show is how close the judges get with the contestants telling them they are going to make it and be a star, only to see them fail much later on and that's wrong. They need to restructure everything and make it where judges don't take sides and don't get so attached to the singers.

Prime example, LA Reid. Did he ever criticize anything by Marcus, Astro or Chris Rene? He loved everything they did and was a dick to alot of the other competitors.

Besides the over the top production for the competitors, my only real major problem was how biased the judges were as mentors. I like Simon, but this past season he was really soft.

floundering 01-31-12 07:59 PM

I'm glad they got rid of Nicole. I didn't care for her one bit. The host didn't do anything for me either.

Surprised they got rid of Paula.

Someone at work mentioned how great it would be to have Joe McHale as host. I would love to see that happen.

Josh-da-man 01-31-12 08:32 PM

Maybe these singing competition shows have run their course.

American Idol hasn't produced a notable finalist since Carrie Underpants about eight years ago. And now they have The Voice and X-Factor added to the mix.

My Other Self 01-31-12 09:03 PM

Nicole was the greatest piece of eye candy on TV. I'll miss her.

DJariya 01-31-12 09:07 PM

If he's going for a big name as a judge, I would try Mariah Carey. Her husband works for him on America's Got Talent and she was supposed to be one of his star mentors in the 1st season.

floundering 01-31-12 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11098100)
If he's going for a big name as a judge, I would try Mariah Carey. Her husband works for him on America's Got Talent and she was supposed to be one of his star mentors in the 1st season.

Agreed.

MikahC 02-01-12 01:17 AM

Mariah is actually the current rumor.