Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck -- Series Finale -- "Chuck Versus Sarah/Chuck Versus the Goodbye" -- 1/27/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Chuck Series Finale?
It was awesome! Very satisfying end.
31.58%
It was good, not great. Still satisfied
30.53%
Meh it was just okay. A little disappointed
20.00%
After 5 seasons, that sucked
8.42%
I'm in denial, don't want it to end.
9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Chuck -- Series Finale -- "Chuck Versus Sarah/Chuck Versus the Goodbye" -- 1/27/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chuck -- Series Finale -- "Chuck Versus Sarah/Chuck Versus the Goodbye" -- 1/27/1

Finally got to watch the finale. It wasn't completely satisfying for me as I was hoping that Schwartz was going to write a finale similar to the OC where we at least get to see where all of the main characters were 10 years from now. It would have been funny to see a reunion of the Grimes family with children with the Verbanski-Casey household. But for the most part, it was a fitting end. I'm gonna miss this show.
Old 01-28-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chuck -- Series Finale -- "Chuck Versus Sarah/Chuck Versus the Goodbye" -- 1/27/1

Originally Posted by flashburn
Someone get Adam Baldwin a new show, stat!
My Bodyguard 2?
Old 01-28-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was so much they could have done with it. I was still looking for the picture that Chuck drew of them outside the house. Sarah said "she would never forget". I thought that was going to be something to spur her memory. At least it wasn't a Sopranos ending with them eating pasta and a sudden fade to black
Old 01-28-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
can't please everyone. I thought it was a fantastic series finale. in my mind, of course, they get back together. whether the kiss worked or not, it was obvious she was slowly starting to get her memory back on her own anyway.
I agree. You know where it's going, you don't have to see the resolution. I think Chuck's decision to learn how to defuse the bomb over giving Sarah back her memories will contribute to her falling in love with him again. It's the kind of decision Chuck would make and the kind of decision Sarah would love him for.

At about half way through the second hour I said to myself this had better make me cry or it will failed for me (I am a big softy). It succeeded.
Old 01-28-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
Someone get Adam Baldwin a new show, stat!
Castle. Too much DS9 on that show, need to even up the score.
Old 01-28-12, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I was suprised they didn't bother doing a full season to pull the 100 episodes needed for synidication. To get to 91 then stop didn't make sense when syndication would seem to pay for the additional episodes
Apparently the magic number is now 88 according to an interview with Adam Baldwin...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/kj...-in-hollywood/
"It’s kind of unique, I think, to have a show that’s been on the brink of being axed so many times come back. You were so close to syndication after season 4. Why wouldn’t the network at least get to that point where you can start getting some guaranteed money back off of it? John Nolte has posted recently about “30 Rock.” They pump it as this great show, this high rated show, and last season “Chuck” beat it. You guys were ranked 101 and it was 106.
Hold on, follow the money. Is “30 Rock” an in-house, all the way along, NBC production? I think it is, and ours, I know, is a Warner Brother’s licensing fee to NBC. Anytime you’ve got a show that’s an outside producer licensing it back to the network, there’s extra costs involved, so as people working on the show, you have to consider, well “what’s the licensing fee?” Is it a million per episode? Is it a dollar per episode? The business stuff is beyond my pay grade. Business is business. Robert Greenblatt, the head of NBC now, said that for the 13 episode half-season, Warner Brothers, the production company that was licensing it to NBC said “hey, they made us a deal we couldn’t refuse” because Warner Brothers wanted to get to beyond the magic number of 88, which is 22 episodes times four seasons. I think that’s the magic number these days. It used to be 100, but now it’s 88, and Warner Brothers wanted to get to that number so they were able to make a deal to get there. And, I think the bottom line is: follow the money."

As for the finale, I'm just in denial that there are no more new Chucks.
Old 01-28-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyW
I'm a little bitter about the ending. I guess I expected more. Feels like everything we watched and rooted for the past 5 years was wiped out. Yes, they left a glimmer of her possibly regaining her memory, but it would have been nice to see. I kept expecting any little thing to jar her memory back. Seemed way too negative for a Chuck ending. Watching 2 straight hours of that with no real resolution just doesn't sit well....kinda bummed. Just thought Chuck and Sarah deserved a better ending.
I sort of agree. But it would have been too much of a happy ending with the way I'd have done it... Sarah asked for the kiss, Chuck kissed her and she had a non-tech induced "flash" that brought her back. BUT THEN the way it DID end, we all get our own ending.
Old 01-28-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Loved it. It did seem rushed, but overall, very satisfying. Chuck now comes in at finale #3 to make me tear up, right behind Quantum Leap and Wonder Years. Oddly enough, it was Casey hugging Chuck that got me.

I loved the open ending, but I think it's clear they fall in love again. It's just open to interpretation as to if they start over or if it was a fairy tale ending with a magic kiss.

This had some solid aspects but would have liked to see Greta help John, maybe Jill help out Chuck and Sarah.
Yeah, they wasted too much time on the Morgan plot in the first half of the season when they could have been wrapping up the show from episode one. They could have brought Jill back. Greta could have made a return. Anna Wu & Harry could have gotten a scene or two.

Personally the only thing I felt they dropped the ball on was a scene/flashback with Bakula.

Oh, and what was up with dropping "pussy?" I'm far from a prude, but the show has never resorted to that so it really felt out of place.

Originally Posted by Draven
Loved it. A solid finale that didn't wrap things up too neatly and gave some real dramatic moments to a show that is usually pretty light. I loved how it ended as it began, which was a pretty slick piece of storytelling on the writers' part.

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
can't please everyone. I thought it was a fantastic series finale. in my mind, of course, they get back together. whether the kiss worked or not, it was obvious she was slowly starting to get her memory back on her own anyway.
Loved the scene in Weinerlicious when she just started reorganizing. That was just awesome. Don't ge me wrong, it was nice to see the uniform come out of retirement, but her organizing the cups was just a beautiful moment.

Originally Posted by movielib
I agree. You know where it's going, you don't have to see the resolution. I think Chuck's decision to learn how to defuse the bomb over giving Sarah back her memories will contribute to her falling in love with him again. It's the kind of decision Chuck would make and the kind of decision Sarah would love him for.
Absolutely 100%.

Originally Posted by movielib
At about half way through the second hour I said to myself this had better make me cry or it will failed for me (I am a big softy). It succeeded.
I was thinking the same thing. If it didn't tug on the heart strings I'd be very disappointed. It takes that rare & special show to get to me, and as I mentioned above, Chuck joins some impressive company in my book. Even with all the great shows that come and go, and even the ups and downs, Chuck was different. It was a show full of heart, which even the greatest of shows can't seem to capture.
Old 01-29-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw, I loved it. Good ending for the series, not always easy to do. Yvonne may not have liked her final arc but it was different, and kept a little drama going for what could otherwise be a fairly expected conclusion.
Old 01-29-12, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riley_dude
My Bodyguard 2?
DC Cab 2
Old 01-29-12, 06:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Fuller Metal Jacket
Old 01-29-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

how about ID4II
Old 01-29-12, 10:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Serenity, too
Old 01-29-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
Castle. Too much DS9 on that show, need to even up the score.
It'd be hilarious if they brought in Adam Baldwin was a love interest for Beckett on "Castle".
Old 01-29-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Watched this late last night . Very satisfying finale. I liked that the ending was different and left open for interpretation.

I especially loved the end of hour 1 when Chuck confronted Sarah and their dream home trying to convince her he was for real. That was a heartbreaking scene and Zach Levi did a wonderful job with his performance.

Loved Jeffster doing Take On Me at the symphony. One of the few times they weren't an eye rolling moment.

I don't think we will see Zach and Yvonne do another TV show right away. Zach is too associated with Chuck right now. I think Zach should probably get work in feature film comedies as a supporting character. The field is wide open for Yvonne. She has the looks and can do whatever the hell she wants.
Old 01-29-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I thought the ending sucked. After basically gift wrapping the conclusion for all the characters we get an open ended Chuck and Sarah? Sure, you assume they fall back in love but there's no guarantees. I just expected to be hand wrapped the conclusion for a series like Chuck.

Also, what was the deal with the intersect? After blabbering on how this was THE ONE PERFECT intersect that could be uploaded with new technology and data, it's only capable of flashing one more time? Seems limited to me and felt forced. I was glad that Chuck ended up with it though.

All in all, great show and it will be missed. I'm sure NBC will find some shit reality game show to take it's place.
Old 01-29-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yvonne may not have liked her final arc but it was different, and kept a little drama going for what could otherwise be a fairly expected conclusion.
Where did you hear that? I hadn't heard anything about that.
Old 01-29-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to add that time has not been kind to Sarah Connor.
Old 01-29-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I give the series a Casey like satisfying "groan".

We'll miss you Chuck!
Old 01-29-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

FYI, Chris Fedak, Chuck's co-creator, said in an interview with Alan Sepinwall that the DVD/BD will have an extended cut for the series finale.
Old 01-29-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI, Chris Fedak, Chuck's co-creator, said in an interview with Alan Sepinwall that the DVD/BD will have an extended cut for the series finale.
Can't get too much of it.
Old 01-29-12, 05:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
felt forced.
I didnt like the finale. A lot of things felt forced,
-the one perfect intersect, can could be so easily destroyed leaving only one copy. How bad do they thing the system designers at US military are?
-Only one final upload remaining.
-Everyone moving away, buy more being bought
-The villain kind of giving up in the end
-Sudden appearance of the concept of keys to the intersect.
-Sarah losing just her memory for the past 5 years. Brain damage isnt that selective.

It seemed that the 2 epsiode finale was trying too hard to close every storyline in the Chuck universe.

I think a less melodramatic finale would have been better. There were some great momemts though. Unleashing the pervs, jeffster, mama bartowski.

Gonna miss the show, and its music
I discovered the show less than a couple of years ago when I was at a bad place in life. The show helped me cope, and made a place in my heart. I'm feeling a bit depressed now.
Old 01-29-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I was suprised they didn't bother doing a full season to pull the 100 episodes needed for synidication. To get to 91 then stop didn't make sense when syndication would seem to pay for the additional episodes
100 episodes is a "traditional" number but in no means a requirement.

ST:TOS had only 80 or so episodes, Lost in Space less. Everybody Hates Chris has close to 90. Brady Bunch and the Monkees, also less.

So 100 is not "needed", but I generally agree this is not really a show that would do well in syndication.
Old 01-29-12, 08:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Zachary Levy seems to have been much more invested in the Show than Yvonne. Yvonne did a great job, and was a trooper, but somehow I havent felt that she emotionally cared for the Chuck universe.
Old 01-29-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The wife and I enjoyed the last few eps, but we are glad they aren't going to drag it out anymore. We have been ready for it to end since last season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.