Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Touch -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 1/25/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 09:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Touch -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 1/25/12

Ok...that was nice... enjoyed it. But where do we go from here...? I agree...seemed more like a movie.
Old 01-25-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Mercury Rising + hair + Play it Forward = Touch
Old 01-25-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Not sure why everyone on this forum is always such a downer with new shows lately. I'll watch anything with Sutherland. Looking forward to it.
maybe cause they get cancelled near immediate
Old 01-25-12, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
maybe cause they get cancelled near immediate
Yeah, every new show gets cancelled "near immediate"

Back to Transformers with you.
Old 01-25-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by firteen88
I thought it was amazing. Seemed more like a Movie than a TV show, so I just hope they can keep up the quality thoughout the series. We all know what happened with the last series Tim Kring created.
I loved it. Thought the same thing near the end that's thought I watched the first half or so of a movie.

I almost missed the last 10 minutes because he dvr stopped right at 10 but the show kept going about another 10 minutes.
Luckily the dvr still had the channel on with buffer time and I went back to watch the end.
Old 01-25-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Was that Mike Novick (24) in the preview for the next episode?

How did the guys photos from his cell phone get on the video screens? I thought they were playing the singer on the screens? Was that on the same cell phone. I wasn't paying close attention entirely.
Old 01-25-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was a bit sappy but it wasn't that bad. I'm curious if some of the characters in the pilot will ever be seen again like the firefighter.
Old 01-25-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Was that Mike Novick (24) in the preview for the next episode?

How did the guys photos from his cell phone get on the video screens? I thought they were playing the singer on the screens? Was that on the same cell phone. I wasn't paying close attention entirely.
It's a mystery.
Originally Posted by writer106
It was a bit sappy but it wasn't that bad. I'm curious if some of the characters in the pilot will ever be seen again like the firefighter.
I thought it said he was a guest star at the opening credits.
Old 01-25-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Did they cut off the end? It seemed to end abruptly. The last line i got was Keifer saying "I think we're supposed to meet" Was there more after that for anyone else?

Oh and 9 minutes in we get "Damnit!"
Old 01-25-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did they cut off the end? It seemed to end abruptly. The last line i got was Keifer saying "I think we're supposed to meet" Was there more after that for anyone else?

Oh and 9 minutes in we get "Damnit!"
I mentioned the cut off just a couple posts back. The op mentions the run time is 67 minutes.
Old 01-26-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that's sort of the hook of the show but they did a pretty good job of having everything interconnect and effect the outcome.. It got a little tear jerk like forced at the end but that's ok I guess..

I don't understand why they ran this "preview" ep so early, only to say more or less say "Hey did you really like this show!? GREAT hope you remember it's even on when we show you another ep........ in about a month and a half"
It also seemed to have the over filming look and jump pacing of a 24 ep with a lot locations and introductions of random characters. Then again to be fair you could put Keifer in a single camera sitcom and I would think Jack Bauer is there to beat someone up.

I'll give it a few more eps..... if I remember to watch then get around to showing it again..
Old 01-26-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

As a die-hard 24 fan, I'm sorry to say it, but I thought this show was boring. And I'm only apologizing to Kiefer. Turned it off after 30 minutes.

Though I thought the "damn it" was hilarious as well.

Won't be tuning in again. Now I feel guilty, sorry Kiefer...haha
Old 01-26-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

So let's see, we got Keifer saying Damnit within the first 10 minutes. He also has a wife that was killed by a terrorist. (24)

We got Titus Welliver and mysterious numbers that lead to someone winning the lottery. (Lost) Of course, unlike Lost, we learned the significance of the numbers by the end of the episode.

We got a bunch of seemingly unconnected stories that take place all over the world, and a reference to someone name Ando. (Heroes)

Honestly, while I said it would be hard to separate Keifer from Jack Bauer, it didn't even seem like he was trying to. To a certain extent I think it actually helped the character. He's Jack Bauer lite now. Not the Jack that would slice off some lowlife's head with a hacksaw to go undercover, but one that can still throw a punch. Martin is flawed and broken, but he's not beyond repair.

I enjoyed the show. The story of the phone reminded me of the 90s indie film Twenty Bucks, which followed the path of $20 bill and the lives it touched. The main story was well done, throwing all the clues out there and tying them together in a way that was unexpected.

The question is, how long can Tim Kring keep this up?
Old 01-26-12, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I liked it and yes I agree with some of the earlier comments that it felt really cinematic like a feature film considering they were working on a TV budget. Great job by the director Francis Lawrence. The premise is pretty cool.

I do admit the 1st half hour was a little slow trying to set up the plot and establish the characters and I can see how someone like MLBFan24 might not "get it" or not have the patience to wait for the payoff, which I thought was fantastic. Loved the little twist with Titus Welliver's character and how he was connected to Martin. This show has alot of similarities to the old CBS show Early Edition. Honestly, I think the main reason this show got greenlit was because Kiefer signed on as the lead and EP.

It was kind of cool seeing Kiefer play someone alot more vulnerable than Jack Bauer. I think Martin is a likeable and sympathetic character.

BTW, Titus Welliver also appeared on CSI tonight.
Old 01-26-12, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
Yeah I didn't quite understand how the video of the girl singing from Ireland and the photos got from the phone to the Big Screen in Tokyo considering the phone was still in Iraq with the kid who had the bomb. But, I didn't want to over-think it and just went with it.
Old 01-26-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah I didn't quite understand how the video of the girl singing from Ireland and the photos got from the phone to the Big Screen in Tokyo considering the phone was still in Iraq with the kid who had the bomb. But, I didn't want to over-think it and just went with it.
the call girl told her friend she planned spread the word on the singing girl/ telecom CSR by copying everything on the phone and having Ando's brother upload the video and pics onto the screen. Then she handed the phone off to another Japanese businessman who then took it to Iraq. One would think the resturant equipment guy would have made a copy of the pictures he took of his daughter after 1 year since she passed away but I guess he had other things to do.
Regarding scheduling, Fox should probably rerun the pilot again closer to the time when the show comes back if the ratings for this showed it was well sampled last night. They did this with Glee by running the pilot in May after idols and then premiering it again in the fall.
Old 01-26-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
One would think the resturant equipment guy would have made a copy of the pictures he took of his daughter after 1 year since she passed away but I guess he had other things to do.
That was my first thought. The guy never thought to drop them in an email to himself?

I liked the episode but it'll really depend on where they take the story. I can't imagine them coming up with stories as involved and intertwined as this one for each week.
Old 01-26-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It needs to be fully serialized to really work.
Old 01-26-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me a lot of the Inarritu trilogy (Amores Perros, 21 Grams and Babel).

I really liked the pilot a lot. The direction was crisp and the acting was solid. As mentioned before, very cinematic.

But .... this could easily fall to being hokey. They are going to have to work very hard to keep me from rolling my eyes.
Old 01-26-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

After so many years of seeing Jack Bauer, for me it was really hard to watch a wussy Keifer ("Oh, I'm afraid of heights;" "Ouch! I shut my finger in a drawer." One punch and he's down, etc.)--something about him and that FOX logo in the bottom righthand corner makes it very hard for me to separate, plus I was not enthralled with the kid either...
Old 01-26-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
It needs to be fully serialized to really work.
Well it worked for Early Edition. That was on 4 seasons and had a similar premise and wasn't serialized.

Originally Posted by uteotw
After so many years of seeing Jack Bauer, for me it was really hard to watch a wussy Keifer ("Oh, I'm afraid of heights;" "Ouch! I shut my finger in a drawer." One punch and he's down, etc.)--something about him and that FOX logo in the bottom righthand corner makes it very hard for me to separate, plus I was not enthralled with the kid either...
Repeat after me, Martin Bohm is not Jack Bauer.
Old 01-26-12, 12:43 PM

I enjoyed it for what it was. I'm tired of having to read subtitles

The whole Kring/Heroes history scares me though.
Old 01-26-12, 01:15 PM

This was a fantastic pilot. I'm not sure where there will go with the kid/father relationship but I will check it out. The phone call reminded me a little of 12 Monkeys. I fear this series will deteriorate quickly now that they 'understand' each other. What are they gonna do now, solve crime with numbers? They shoulda called this, Jack and the Fate Boy.
Old 01-26-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I found the Touch pilot cinematic from a technical standpoint, and give much deserved kudos to directer Francis Lawrence, I didn't find myself overly invested in the story.

Tugging at people’s heartstrings while drawing the barest of superficial connective tissue between characters came off as rather contrived for me in its attempt to fuse together recycled aspects of similar projects (Inarritu, Crash, Pay It Forward, 9/11) etc. To put it mildly, I found the finale emotionally manipulative and can see this show deteriorating to the point where it's regularly dealing with reoccurring bouts of cloying sentimentality.

I watched for Keifer, but doubt I'll be back in for the long haul. Based on the trajectory of his prior series, it certainly doesn't help that I have very little faith in Tim Kring's execution as a showrunner.
Old 01-26-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
Yeah, they seemed to have several moments in the pilot to intentionally point out that this was NOT Jack Bauer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.