Old 01-22-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Shameless -- "I'll Light a Candle for You Every Day" -- 1/22/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Fiona ponders the morality of getting involved with a high-school crush who's now married; Frank pulls out all the stops in an effort to stay in the good graces of his meal ticket, Dottie; and Harry's health issues leave Debbie obsessing over death. Meanwhile, Kevin considers buying the Alibi; Lip takes a meeting with an Army officer to see about getting Ian into West Point; Jody asks for Frank's permission to marry Karen.

Episode 3 of 12

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1386766176001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1386766176001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 01-23-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Shameless -- "I'll Light a Candle for You Every Day" -- 1/22/12

This episode was so messed up.
Old 01-23-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what Frank did goes beyond dark comedy and enters fucked up territory.
Old 01-23-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I've ever hated a single episode of a show I really like more than this one. I'm biased because I hate the Frank character anyway, but this was awful. The other storylines didn't do much for me, either.
Old 01-23-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The sex scene with Fiona and Craig was fucking hilarious! After all that build up. And the sounds he made

But yeah Frank, what a piece of shit.
Old 01-23-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
The sex scene with Fiona and Craig was fucking hilarious! After all that build up. And the sounds he made
It was hilarious - what a stark opposition to what she had built up in her mind. I was giggling when I saw the food wrapers but just started to flat out laught when I saw the stickers on the back of the van (as messed up as that might sound) - but her eyes looked huge!

I can't believe that they went there as fast as they did with Butter-face...
Spoiler:
not only does he take away her only chance, but he ends up killing her. It was a little sader and heavier than anything the show has done before - and it was starteling for a moment. I am glad however that he didn't get anything from her but the ice cubes in the freezer

I'm curious how much Joan Cusak and Lip's girl (can't remember her name right now) will fit into the series in the proceeding episodes, it seems like they are moving further and further away from that storyline.

And I wish they could give lip and Ian more screen time... they seems to have been downgraded this year so far.
Old 01-23-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I think what Frank did goes beyond dark comedy and enters fucked up territory.
It's all kinds of fucked up.
Old 01-23-12, 04:51 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I loved this. I always wonder about this type of thing. I see girls who I went to high school with who I had a crush on at bars from time to time and I wonder if anything ever happened, would it be as good as the fantasy? Would it even be worth it? lol I love they played into that.
Old 01-23-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I can't believe that they went there as fast as they did with Butter-face...
Spoiler:
not only does he take away her only chance, but he ends up killing her. It was a little sader and heavier than anything the show has done before - and it was starteling for a moment. I am glad however that he didn't get anything from her but the ice cubes in the freezer
He got $2000 and a flat screen.

As dark as this episode was, I thought they were going to even darker at one point. When Frank said how her body was still warm, I thought we were about to see something particularly awful.
Old 01-23-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dino88

As dark as this episode was, I thought they were going to even darker at one point. When Frank said how her body was still warm, I thought we were about to see something particularly awful.
I forgot about the flatscreen but I equated the $2000 to "a couple of ice cubes" because in the grand scheme of what he thought he was going to get it was basically nothing.

I think last night the series finally drew the line of where it will go and where it will not go. Any further in this particular storyline and I could see them easily loosing viewers - which I doubt they want to do only being in their second season.
Old 01-23-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dino88

Same here.

I thought it was dumb as hell for them to even call the purse-loser back in the first place, but that confrontation was hilarious.

I really enjoyed this episode but that ending was pretty bad with the fake backdrop.
Old 01-23-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
Same here.

I thought it was dumb as hell for them to even call the purse-loser back in the first place, but that confrontation was hilarious.

I really enjoyed this episode but that ending was pretty bad with the fake backdrop.
I actually expected him to be on some sort of movie set because of that fake backdrop. I was like "What they really want us to think he's on the beach?"
Old 01-24-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

OMG, I was actually pissed off after watching this episode. Frank Gallagher is one of the most disgusting and vile characters on TV. What he did here was just unbelievable. Kills Dottie, steals the engagement ring (but returned it out of guilt) and then to top it off he takes the church donation box too. What a piece of garbage. On the bright side, Bill Macy is doing a masterful job playing this low life.

I loved with the stuff with Fiona. All that sexual tension led to one of the most hilarious and disgusting sex scenes ever. And I loved her confrontation with the Purse woman.

at Steve getting a BJ during Fiona's call.
Old 01-24-12, 10:49 AM

I didn't get that he returned the ring out of guilt but that he no longer needed the ring and with the 2 grand he was feeling flush so he could return the ring rather than sell it. In the long run it sets the guy up more for when Frank really needs to rip him off.

I do have to wonder if the newscast would have released the news about the B+ heart. I don't know that I've ever seen that on TV. It might make the papers since they are behind in the news they tend to include additional information for their readers.

As to the scene in the van the funniest for me was the cheerio stuck to her knee.

Now the scene with Frank and Dottie, the last thing I want to see is Macy's wrinkled old ass pounding away.
Old 01-24-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
On the bright side, Bill Macy is doing a masterful job playing this low life.
I said last season that this has to be the most fantastic role an actor could ever ask for. This season is just pushing it completely over the top. I can't imagine how great it must be to just get to act like a complete and utter asshole to everyone.

Originally Posted by barelypure
Now the scene with Frank and Dottie, the last thing I want to see is Macy's wrinkled old ass pounding away.
Then don't see The Cooler cause you get to see his bag too.
Old 01-24-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

This episode had not one, not two, but THREE fucked up sex scenes:

- Lip casually doing her from behind, accidentally in the ass and her being okay with it
- Frank pretty much fucking a warm corpse
- and of course the sex scene in the family van
Old 01-24-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't get that he returned the ring out of guilt but that he no longer needed the ring and with the 2 grand he was feeling flush so he could return the ring rather than sell it. In the long run it sets the guy up more for when Frank really needs to rip him off.
Sorry but I, too, think it was guilt (he was crying after all). There is no way he would give that ring back if not - he would have pawned it in no time if he wasn't feeling in anything.
Old 01-24-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I do have to wonder if the newscast would have released the news about the B+ heart. I don't know that I've ever seen that on TV. It might make the papers since they are behind in the news they tend to include additional information for their readers.
I was wondering this myself. I've heard of news stories about kids who the news stations have followed their plight in looking for donors and the happy ending gets reported about a donor being found. I just don't think they'd have a news item about someone dying and donating a B+ heart less than 24 hours later. This sounds like something that would be kept private.
Old 01-24-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Frank Gallagher is one of the most disgusting and vile characters on TV. What he did here was just unbelievable. Kills Dottie, steals the engagement ring (but returned it out of guilt) and then to top it off he takes the church donation box too. What a piece of garbage. On the bright side, Bill Macy is doing a masterful job playing this low life.
Between Shameless, House of Lies, and Californication, Sunday is definitely asshole night on Showtime.

All things considered, though, Hank Moody comes off looking pretty good when you hold him up against Frank Gallagher and every on House of Lies.
Old 01-24-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I was wondering this myself. I've heard of news stories about kids who the news stations have followed their plight in looking for donors and the happy ending gets reported about a donor being found. I just don't think they'd have a news item about someone dying and donating a B+ heart less than 24 hours later. This sounds like something that would be kept private.
Maybe she has connections or contacts at the hospital who told her.
Old 01-24-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...and then to top it off he takes the church donation box too.
Has there always been a scene after the credits of each episode or is this a first?
Old 01-24-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by conscience
Has there always been a scene after the credits of each episode or is this a first?
I've watched since Day 1 and I believe that scene was a 1st.
Old 01-24-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've watched since Day 1 and I believe that scene was a 1st.
Good. I have too but I usually stop it right when the first credit comes up and I just so happened to be fast forwarding it too fast trying to get to a scene and it came upon that scene and I saw you mention it..and thought is this a regular thing?.
Old 01-24-12, 10:28 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

There usually is. That was not the first time.
Old 01-25-12, 02:21 AM

Yes most episodes have a final scene after the start of the credits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.