Reload this Page >

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Old 02-13-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

I used to be a huge Kevin Smith fan (see the username) but I've definitely lost most of my love for him. For whatever reason the change started to happen around the time he was doing Green Arrow. I got the first three issues or so but apparently that's when I went from "must see/read/own everything he touches" to not really giving a crap. I never saw "Jersey Girl" in theaters. I only saw "Cop Out" at the dollar theater. I still haven't seen "Red State". "Zack and Miri" was OK but it was like he knew Apatow was doing his thing better and he was desperately trying to catch up.

I've outgrown him but I actually think he's become underrated and unfairly-bashed. I don't really listen to his podcasts but I've enjoyed the ones I've listened to, not to mention his Q&A/standup stuff. He's a funny and likeable guy and for the most part his friends are too.

I watched this show last night and I think the staged stuff seemed a little more organic than similar shows. These guys are lifelong friends as opposed to people put together by a casting agent and it showed.
Old 02-13-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm SHOCKED anyone like this. I've been a fan of Kevin Smith since Clerks, but lately the guy has just failed. This was like watching a very poor man's Pawn Stars. I didn't think it was possible to make the cast of that show likable. I stand corrected universe. I didn't get the sense that these guys knew much about anything.

The scenes in the studio as they were recording the podcast were OK, but the stuff inside the store was awful. Being a fan of Smith and a big comic book geek I thought this would be watchable at very worst. Boy was I wrong.
Old 02-13-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981
One and done for me. I'm wasn't sure what to expect, but wow....what a bunch of stereotypical comic store d-bags.
That basically summed up my feelings on it.

I figured I would give it one episode, that was enough.
Old 02-13-12, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I caught the last half of the show with my wife and we both dug it as mindless popcorn TV. Lately, when there's nothing else to watch, we've been putting on Pawn Stars or Storage Wars or Shipping Wars or American Pickers, and this scratches that same itch.
Old 02-13-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not really a fan of this type of show, but the first episode was interesting enough to keep me tuning in.
Old 02-13-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Is hating Kevin Smith the new "in vogue" thing? I've been disappointed by some of his recent work, but I don't think the guy's a sell out or anything like that. I do still think he's passionate about the work he does, whether it "clicks" with his fans or not.
Old 02-13-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Is hating Kevin Smith the new "in vogue" thing? I've been disappointed by some of his recent work, but I don't think the guy's a sell out or anything like that. I do still think he's passionate about the work he does, whether it "clicks" with his fans or not.
I've got one friend who goes to ridiculous lengths to bash everything Smith does. He even manages to work a Smith dis into reviews for movies having nothing to do with him.
Old 02-13-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Is hating Kevin Smith the new "in vogue" thing?
Nope. I've always hated him and his films.
Old 02-13-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know that dick and fart jokes are ever "quality work," but there was certainly a certain charm to most of what Smith did in the first half of his career. There's not denying that the guy was funny and charismatic, something very evident in his live performances.

His work has lacked... something the last five or six years. I don't know if its ego. I don't know if it's because he's become a pot head. But his work just doesn't hit the mark with me. I guess there's also the chance I've matured, but I still find his old stuff great.

I've read interviews with the guy where he just seems mean these days. I continue to at least be fan enough that I sample whatever he puts out there, but I'm just not enjoying it much anymore. I wouldn't call it passionless, but I would maybe call it direction-less.
Old 02-13-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I don't know that dick and fart jokes are ever "quality work," but there was certainly a certain charm to most of what Smith did in the first half of his career. There's not denying that the guy was funny and charismatic, something very evident in his live performances.

His work has lacked... something the last five or six years. I don't know if its ego. I don't know if it's because he's become a pot head. But his work just doesn't hit the mark with me. I guess there's also the chance I've matured, but I still find his old stuff great.

I've read interviews with the guy where he just seems mean these days. I continue to at least be fan enough that I sample whatever he puts out there, but I'm just not enjoying it much anymore. I wouldn't call it passionless, but I would maybe call it direction-less.
I'll admit to being a fan, but I'll also concede that being a director was never Kevin's "thing". He's a writer.
Old 02-13-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Offering $100 for that Chucky doll? It's going for less on eBay. Pretty sure they know very little about the whole buying/reselling thing.
The fact is, most of this comic book/toy/trading card stuff that's less than twenty years old is worth jack shit. It's been produced in mass quantities and is held by collectors, so the supply either outstrips or satisfies the demand.

And if someone is holding onto something valuable, they're going to sell it on eBay or Craigslist and not take it into a comic book shop for a fraction of what they can get for it elsewhere.
Old 02-13-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It might help the show and the comicbook industry in general, if the producers find some teens and kids to play customers.
Another neat idea, would be having guys like Larsen and Kirkman to stop in and talk about the books and characters they have work on over the years.
Old 02-13-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
It might help the show and the comicbook industry in general, if the producers find some teens and kids to play customers.
Another neat idea, would be having guys like Larsen and Kirkman to stop in and talk about the books and characters they have work on over the years.
this is what i thought i was tuning in to. not another pawn show. i enjoyed the podcast segments and even the flea market competition. but i thought it was gonna center more around customers talking comics with random celebrities popping in.

on the plus side i find the guys likable which is amazing as i generally cant stand most workers at comic book stores. im not a hardcore comic fan but drop 50$ or so every so often when i get in a comic/toy mode and i drive by 2 stores to a third one because its the only store with a people person owning it.
Old 02-14-12, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The bolded part is why he's bashed so readily. KS and his work exist in this strange film netherworld that doesn't quite fit in either the multiplex or in the arthouse scene. He's not going to make films that are demographically calculated to break box office records nor is he making films groomed to win the Palm d'or in mind. He's like the straight, Gen-X John Waters...and personally, I'm good with that.

Cinema in it's present state NEEDS more unique voices-- whether or not they can compose a shot.
Old 02-14-12, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PatD
He's like the straight, Gen-X John Waters...and personally, I'm good with that.
I so badly wanted to feel that way when I he first came on the scene years ago and I was watching his earlier work but I just could never get into that groove (nothing against KS...just not my thing).

Although I've been lax in catching his later stuff the work of Todd Solondz reminds me of John Waters much more.
Old 02-14-12, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

KS does film work these days? I thought he "retired" after Red State to run a podcast network.
Old 02-14-12, 06:36 AM
Banned

I was pretty passionate about a bowel movement I had yesterday, but I wouldn't offer it up for public viewing.

I did like Smith's appearance of Talking Dead, and I do like his live storytelling abilities and willingness to take questions and answer forthrightly in a 'concert' setting even when I don't always appreciate some of his vulgarity.

Wish he'd concentrate on writing for a while and quit trying to be a "persona". I wear comfy clothes (jerseys, sweats, shorts) most of the time, too, but I do change every month or two.
Old 02-14-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I said the podcast they record on the show was fake, and I was wondering why the didn't just do some cross promotion and actually put it out. Well, it turns out they did. I looked for it but missed it. I blame Ming for his shitty web design.

I haven't listened yet so I don't know if it's the conversations from the show uncut or just a companion pod.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
KS does film work these days? I thought he "retired" after Red State to run a podcast network.
He's making one more movie. It's called "Hit Somebody" (I think) and it will be about hockey.

I listen a few of the podcasts, but I don't listen to the live radio "SIR" network. I know when it launched he was doing like 4+ hours a day live. Two hours in the morning with his wife and then another two with Jason Mews. I think he cut way back since then though.
Old 02-14-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Watched it last night. Not bad, but not a home run either. I couldn't get into the "it couldn't be more obvious we staged this" scenes with people selling shit. Toy Hunters on the Travel Channel was 1000% more entertaining in that regard. That guy knew his shit. The show really needed some customers to shoot the shit.

I did like the podcast segments. They seemed to balance out the show and gives it a unique flavor compared to all the other shows out there. I also liked the interstitials between segments talking about an item, comic info, etc.

I also found it quite ironic Brian blasting the flea market crowd as people that aren't allowed in a mall. Has he looked in a mirror lately? Dude looks like a homeless stray wondering where he's going to find his next meal.

Also at all the Walking Dead figures on the checkout counter so it's in frame when the camera shows the staff and a shelf full of Walking Dead comics on the wall behind the customer when the camera is on them. Well played AMC, well played.

Like many, I have kinda have lost my taste for Smith but I liked him quite a bit more here in more of a neutered "can't rely on sucking cock shtick" role.
Old 02-14-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll admit to being a fan, but I'll also concede that being a director was never Kevin's "thing". He's a writer.
I think he's an even worse editor and that has been his downfall...
Old 02-14-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched it and was entertained. I'm not sure what I expected, but the whole "Pawn Stars" aspect of it didn't really appeal to me. I'll probably tune in again, since I don't have much going on Sunday nights.
Old 02-14-12, 12:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's okay as background tv... something to have on while you cook dinner, pick up around the house, etc. But that's how I feel about all these sorts of shows -- Storage Wars, Oddities, and so on.
Old 02-14-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Kevin Smith and Comics but life is too damn short to spend hours watching shows like this IMO - there are too many quality scripted shows and if I was dying to see exchanges like this, I could literally just go down and hang out at the local comic shop. Out.
Old 02-14-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Also at all the Walking Dead figures on the checkout counter so it's in frame when the camera shows the staff and a shelf full of Walking Dead comics on the wall behind the customer when the camera is on them. Well played AMC, well played.
In their defense, Walking Dead is huge. It's one of the top-selling titles in single comics and graphic novels, and it has a lot of cross-over appeal, so any decent comic store is going to have WD stuff prominently displayed.
Old 02-14-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
I think he's an even worse editor and that has been his downfall...
I'm not sure if he's a worse director or editor, but he's not great at either. It's one thing to write a movie and direct it (and maybe even edit it) without the best skills. I think what pissed Bruce Willis off so much about Cop Out was that Smith didn't even know how to choose a lens for a shot and was there as the DIRECTOR on something he didn't even write. That is pretty fucking outrageous.

By the way, the only way I know Willis was pissed is that I heard it out of Kevin's mouth at a live event in DC. The way he explained it was clearly the tilted toward Kevin Smith version of what happened, but even in it Willis comes off as mostly a guy who was just pissed he somehow got talked into a shit movie with a director barely above amateur status.

I'm no pot smoking expert. Maybe Kevin doesn't need to cut out the ganja. I do think he needs to take a step back and figure out what he does well and poorly in life and move his work in the direction of the good stuff. I'd really love to see his take on a cable TV show, preferably a drama.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.