TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Yeah, they definitely looked like dentures. They were really the first thing I noticed when I saw him.
They addressed this on this week's Jay and Bob podcast,and by addressed I mean spent about an hour going over Jay's dental history. Short version is he's never really taken care of his teeth and when he was a junky he actually had some pulled instead of fixed to get the pain meds. Around the time of J&B Strike Back he had extensive bridge work done, but it eventually came loose and fell out a while ago. He's now getting that fixed and when the CBM episode was filmed he was wearing temporary dentures while his mouth healed between sessions.

He also said that using pain meds for his previous work had caused him to fall of the wagon. This time he's doing it with anesthesia for the surgery and non-narcotic pain meds.
Old 03-01-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I DVR'd this the other night and only made it through about 4 minutes. I'm geeky, but these guys are on a whole 'nother level.
Old 03-03-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just caught the second episode. I enjoyed it enough. I agree with the comments about Mewes. Geez, he looks awful and he's irritating on a whole new level from his more likable annoying in film.
Old 03-04-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Just finished watching tonight's episode....this isn't bad.
Old 03-04-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow, where can I meet a cute girl that has $1600 that she can afford to spend on comics!
Old 03-04-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Wow, where can I meet a cute girl that has $1600 that she can afford to spend on comics!
On a terrible fake reality show.
Old 03-05-12, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where can I find a comic store that (possibly) let someone open and flip through potential mint condition copies of Incredible Hulk #180, 181, and Giant Sized X-Men #1?

I was screaming! Cause I would have waited to open and read them at home. Not in the store!
Old 03-05-12, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Where can I find a comic store that (possibly) let someone open and flip through potential mint condition copies of Incredible Hulk #180, 181, and Giant Sized X-Men #1?

I was screaming! Cause I would have waited to open and read them at home. Not in the store!
The second they did that I was shocked, what store in their right mind would even think about doing that before they were even purchased?
Old 03-05-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
The second they did that I was shocked, what store in their right mind would even think about doing that before they were even purchased?
Apparently Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash in downtown Redbank, New Jersey.
Old 03-05-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

LOL maybe those were reprints?

I want to read those stories and not buy the originals.
Old 03-05-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
LOL maybe those were reprints?

I want to read those stories and not buy the originals.
They have been reprinted numerous times, and reprints shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to track down. I have a Marvel Milestones copy of Giant Sized X-Men #1 and a prestige book called "Wolverine Battles the Incredible Hulk" that contains #180-181. These show up on eBay frequently in the $5-$10 range.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-05-12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do they deal with personal purchases versus things that they will keep in the store? Like that one dude was willing to pay $9k for the artwork, I'm assuming that was for him personally? Did he use the cash from the store to cover himself? What about taxes when it comes to negotiating a price, etc? I might be over thinking this, but I'm curious.

The bearded dude also said that the money spent on flyers probably cost more than the business they brought in. I'd assume that the cost to get the make-up done as well as the photoshoot would be way more expensive then the flyers, and was wondering why he didn't mention that. Then I assumed that they probably got that for free for the publicity. That's probably why they wasted so much time on individual images of the four dudes, despite the fact that the flyer would have a crappy group shot of them.

The flyers probably cost money because they were not about to waste screen time to show Ming go to a copy shop and make prints just to save $37 bucks.

Again I'm over thinking the above, but it popped in my head as I was watching....and I'm intermittently working on an analytical final exam so I'm in that "leave no stone unturned" mode right now.

And was it just me or did anybody think that Zombie make-up was pretty shitty? It looked like they were wearing flesh colored hockey masks. Maybe it's because The Walking Dead aired just before, but still. If they really wanted some publicity, and considering that AMC is their parent network, they could have....

a.) hired a Walking Dead make-up artist to do the make-up and thereby get publicity for both shows.
b.) Held a raffle where one or two customers (spend $X, get 1 ticket) gets to be zombified by said professional Make Up artist (or even the crappy local guy).
c.) brought in Kirkman himself to sign stuff
d.) A combo of all of the above.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-05-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A show like this is something you think should have a limited run, the concept is not really something that needs to have a hundred episodes, of course you could say that with many shows.

I notice I am not the only one that thinks something seems off with Walt Flanagan.
Old 03-05-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

This show is entertaining me more than I thought it would. The Pawn Stars moments annoyed me at first, but now I enjoy seeing the stuff that comes through the door.
Old 03-05-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was just happy to see stuff bought this episode
two things that bothered me this episode

the zombie make up like bluetoast mentioned was horrible. I have a friend that does make up work for me that looks a hell of alot better. prolly just threw on a mass produced latex piece and moved on

and secondly i have the tortured soul collection and while i know they over price things on all these shows your lucky to get 40 dollars from them each....but he made me feel better knowing i bought the collection for 20$ each last summer at a con
Old 03-05-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@bluetoast
I imagine the makeup and cost of the fliers came out of the TV show budget since it was obviously more of a bit for the show than an actual promotion. I think they said at one point that Ming put the fliers up the day before the sale.

The thing that bothered me was having their expert come in to appraise the Godzilla figure and then buy it. It just seems shady to me, even though the stash guys do basically the same thing when they appraise and buy an item without an expert.
Old 03-05-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh you mean the way that the expert got the price way down or something?
Old 03-05-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The bearded dude also said that the money spent on flyers probably cost more than the business they brought in. I'd assume that the cost to get the make-up done as well as the photoshoot would be way more expensive then the flyers, and was wondering why he didn't mention that. Then I assumed that they probably got that for free for the publicity. That's probably why they wasted so much time on individual images of the four dudes, despite the fact that the flyer would have a crappy group shot of them.

The flyers probably cost money because they were not about to waste screen time to show Ming go to a copy shop and make prints just to save $37 bucks.
I doubt they would have done that "zombie day" thing if they weren't on a reality show on a cable network that is running a zombie show, and I would assume that AMC subsidized all of that stuff, in addition to paying the store to film there, so it's not like they're losing money on these stunts no matter what they claim. Never mind that it's all free publicity for the shop.
Old 03-05-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Does anyone else work at the store other than those four guys (in reality)? Does it really take 4 guys to man a store of that kind at once? It's hard to tell from the show exactly how big the store is and how much actual traffic they get.
Old 03-05-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I notice I am not the only one that thinks something seems off with Walt Flanagan.
He's just a really shy/socially awkward guy. He's kind of like a less willing Karl Pilkington. Not quite the idiot, but some similar life philosophies. However, there is no amount of money in the world that could get him to do 90% of the things he does on An Idiot Abroad. Most importantly fly, which he won't do.
Old 03-05-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir

The thing that bothered me was having their expert come in to appraise the Godzilla figure and then buy it.
Yeah, but if anything, IMO he overpaid for that particular toy (if he really bought it), considering the condition of the box and the repaired tail. I have one of those in better condition and paid much less.
Old 03-05-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone else work at the store other than those four guys (in reality)? Does it really take 4 guys to man a store of that kind at once? It's hard to tell from the show exactly how big the store is and how much actual traffic they get.
Walt and Mike work there, and a different guy works Sunday. Ming doesn't really work there, he does Smiths web stuff his office is nearby. Bryan doesn't work there at all.
Old 03-05-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Oh you mean the way that the expert got the price way down or something?
Yeah, but maybe I'm bringing an Antique's Road Show morality to a Pawn Stars type show. The people who come on the show came to sell, not get a free appraisal.
Old 03-06-12, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Do comic shops not sell appraisal guides? Walt told that girl to take her $10k box of comics home and use a guide to gain some better knowledge before selling them. Why wouldn't he try and sell her the guide before sending her on her way?
Old 03-06-12, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Do comic shops not sell appraisal guides? Walt told that girl to take her $10k box of comics home and use a guide to gain some better knowledge before selling them. Why wouldn't he try and sell her the guide before sending her on her way?
Who even uses guides anymore?

Base prices off of past online auctions (I know you have to have an account to view past eBay auctions, most people would have an account by now) and other sites.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.