Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Old 03-22-12, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It began in 92 and ended in 93 to nitpick even further.

The triangle shield number is 1993 - 2 which means it came out the second week of January 1993.
Nope! Superman #75 came out in November 1992.

It's not even a hard thing to check.

My nerdy reason for remembering the date is that it was right after my birthday, and it came out when I lived in Phoenix. I only lived in Phoenix for 6 months in 1992.

While it's true that the cover date for Superman #75 is January 1993, it absolutely came out in November 1992. Cover dates have always been a couple months off. For instance, all the New 52 books I bought yesterday have a cover date of May 2012, and unless I slipped into a time vortex, I'm pretty sure they came out in March.
Old 03-22-12, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
While it's true that the cover date for Superman #75 is January 1993, it absolutely came out in November 1992. Cover dates have always been a couple months off.
Yeah, I know cover dates are always pre-dated for whatever reason. The new comics I picked up yesterday are dated May as well.

I was going by the triangle number on the Superman cover though. I don't recall these triangle numbers being pre-dated but rather the exact time they came out. 1993-1 would have been the first week of January, 1993-2 the second week, all the way to 1993-52 which would have been the last week of December 1993.
Old 03-22-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I don't recall these triangle numbers being pre-dated but rather the exact time they came out.
They must've been, I guess, because Superman #75 definitely came out in November 1992.
Old 03-22-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I always assumed the pre-dated cover dates were a hold over from the newstand days. They were to be pulled off the shelves in that month. I'm probably wrong but that's what I always thought.
Old 03-22-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Take it to the comic book forum, nerds.

No, seriously, there's a dearth of conversation there, and this would fit right in.

I was a bit surprised at the Gwen Stacy issue recommendation; the first thing I thought of was the Mary Jane wedding issue, though that would probably have been a bit pushy for the girlfriend to give to the boyfriend.

That zombie tattoo... I agree with Walt on that.
Old 03-22-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even as I was posting all that, I was, like, "I don't want to be that guy, but...", but then I remembered that I am that guy, so it's okay.

Not really. I don't have nerd-rage and don't get off on correcting people about things I really don't care about. That's just one of those weird things where the date's completely seared into my mind, and I posted a bunch of those examples and stuff mostly because I found them as I made sure I wasn't misremembering. Plus it's totally appropriate for a thread like this too. I'm not judging you, kgrogers1979!
Old 03-22-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, seriously, there's a dearth of conversation there, and this would fit right in.

I was a bit surprised at the Gwen Stacy issue recommendation; the first thing I thought of was the Mary Jane wedding issue, though that would probably have been a bit pushy for the girlfriend to give to the boyfriend.

That zombie tattoo... I agree with Walt on that.
First of all... screw you! We nerds will talk about what we want, when we want, where we want!

Second of all, I thought they were going to suggest a few trades of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Perhaps this is too girly of a book, but I've heard great things about it. I know I would be smitten if a girl got something like that for me. The Amazing Spiderman issues? They'd be on eBay before I went to bed the day i got them.

Third of all... screw you again fujishig! You're not the boss of me!
Old 03-22-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I wonder if the Stash would buy a Batman DVD player

Old 03-22-12, 05:23 PM
Banned

As if watching a TV show about a comic book store is any less nerdy.

the first thing I thought of was the Mary Jane wedding issue
Mary Jane? Wedding? Memory fuzzy...

Old 03-22-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
First of all... screw you! We nerds will talk about what we want, when we want, where we want!

Second of all, I thought they were going to suggest a few trades of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Perhaps this is too girly of a book, but I've heard great things about it. I know I would be smitten if a girl got something like that for me. The Amazing Spiderman issues? They'd be on eBay before I went to bed the day i got them.

Third of all... screw you again fujishig! You're not the boss of me!
That was the second series that went through my mind... what a great, pretty much stand-alone series.

But this way, for the next anniversary she can get her boyfriend the JMS issues where it's revealed that Gwen had babies with the Green Goblin... what a classic. Not that I would know. Nerds.
Old 03-22-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I wonder if the Stash would buy a Batman DVD player

On the companion podcast this week Walt said that business had picked up since the show started, but the most notable increase was in people bringing in worthless crap. While the show had a few examples of it, unfortunately for Walt and co. telling people their 90's DC/Marvel comics are worthless doesn't make good TV.
Old 03-23-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
On the companion podcast this week Walt said that business had picked up since the show started, but the most notable increase was in people bringing in worthless crap. While the show had a few examples of it, unfortunately for Walt and co. telling people their 90's DC/Marvel comics are worthless doesn't make good TV.
Old 03-24-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Holy crap what a tasteless tattoo.

Well, I was skeptical, but what a surprise this show has been. I wholeheartedly welcome another season.
Old 03-24-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Holy crap what a tasteless tattoo.
I'm surprised you were the first person to mention that tattoo. It was one of the most ghastly things I've ever seen on a person and his sister must have been mortified to see it.
Old 03-24-12, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm surprised you were the first person to mention that tattoo. It was one of the most ghastly things I've ever seen on a person and his sister must have been mortified to see it.
From what I've heard on the past on TESD, Bryan and Suzanne seem to be always taking care of the niece. For as much as the guy does come off as a jerk on the show, he's devoted to the little girl to the point where he used the podcast as a means to get donations for iPads for her entire class (I believe it was a special program for other kids with disabilities).
Old 03-25-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Spent most of the last show wondering about the Michael Myers mask behind the counter. I've seen it in other episodes, but all of a sudden on the last show it was blurred out. That's odd, I thought. Maybe the show suddenly realized they didn't have permission to show it so they did some last minute post and slapped a blurr over it. Makes sense.

But then later in the episode the mask was no longer being blurred. WTF?

I don't know if this is significant, but when the mask was being blurred, there was a black baseball cap on top of it. When it was unblurred there was no cap. Could that possibly have something to do with it? Like putting a baseball cap ontop of Michael Myers' head was so disrespectful they needed to hide his face?

I spent way too long puzzling over this. And just as I was getting back into the show the detail graphic for THE KILLING JOKE came up and spent the rest of the episode thinking "Don't they proof read?"
Old 03-25-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I want to know is where did all the people bringing in their comics hear that they needed to be slabbed first?

I was shocked overall how many came in like that.
Old 03-25-12, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spent most of the last show wondering about the Michael Myers mask behind the counter. I've seen it in other episodes, but all of a sudden on the last show it was blurred out. That's odd, I thought. Maybe the show suddenly realized they didn't have permission to show it so they did some last minute post and slapped a blurr over it. Makes sense.

But then later in the episode the mask was no longer being blurred. WTF?

I don't know if this is significant, but when the mask was being blurred, there was a black baseball cap on top of it. When it was unblurred there was no cap. Could that possibly have something to do with it? Like putting a baseball cap ontop of Michael Myers' head was so disrespectful they needed to hide his face?
I didn't notice this, but if there was a baseball cap on the mask when it was blurred out, there was probably a logo on the cap they didn't want to show.

You frequently see this on television programs when they will blur out corporate logos out of shirts, caps, posters, advertisements in the background, and other such things.
Old 03-25-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

But they didn't blurr the cap, they blurred the Myers face. In a long shot no less where any logo that may have been on the hat was unoticable.
Old 03-25-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Did you get a good look at his sister? Damn, she looked like a fucking crack whore zombie with her jacked up teeth. She was nasty.
Old 03-25-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Did you get a good look at his sister? Damn, she looked like a fucking crack whore zombie with her jacked up teeth. She was nasty.
I believe that's his girlfriend.
Old 04-03-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I believe that's his girlfriend.
Hmm. I've seen pictures of Suzanne on their podcast website and she's much cuter than that zombie crack whore they showed. Unless she's REALLY gone downhill, I thought that was his sister.

And yeah, Bryan comes off as a dick (and may actually be a dick), but he really has a soft spot for his niece.

I enjoyed this show a lot more than I thought I would. I would watch another season if it came back.
Old 05-09-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

This show has been renewed for a second season! Yeah!

The cable network has renewed The Walking Dead recap talk show Talking Dead and Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men for second seasons, AMC announced Wednesday. Both shows will expand their episode count to 16 to accompany The Walking Dead's increased order from 13 to 16 hours.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...renewed-322541
Old 05-09-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice! Wasn't the biggest fan of the show but happy for the guys.
Old 05-09-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.