DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   I Wish TV would Ban 'Coming up' ! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/597862-i-wish-tv-would-ban-coming-up.html)

Original Desmond 01-06-12 06:33 AM

I Wish TV would Ban 'Coming up' !

I don't want any spoilers for the rest of the program !

why the hell bother with these 'coming up' spoilers at every friggin ad break

If the program is good, people will keep watching it

TGM 01-06-12 06:35 AM

Re: I Wish TV would Ban 'Coming up' !

what show, other than shitty reality ones, does this?

Brian Shannon 01-06-12 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 11066412)
I don't want any spoilers for the rest of the program !

why the hell bother with these 'coming up' spoilers at every friggin ad break

If the program is good, people will keep watching it

Seems to me that you answered your own question as to why they do it

Michael Corvin 01-06-12 07:23 AM

Get a DVR. Hell, get a VCR. I haven't watched commercials/previews since the early 90's.*

*sporting events notwithstanding.

Groucho 01-06-12 08:21 AM

Another offender is the "previously on". That often will spoil things about the episode you're about to watch, especially "surprise" appearances from old characters.

DRG 01-06-12 09:03 AM

The worst ones are the ones that hype something that doesn't even show up until the end of the episode, so they replay the same damn teaser clip at every commercial break.

Draven 01-06-12 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 11066527)
The worst ones are the ones that hype something that doesn't even show up until the end of the episode, so they replay the same damn teaser clip at every commercial break.

Again, what shows do this? I can't think of one that I watch that does.

TerryW 01-06-12 09:07 AM

Nothing more annoying during a program to have to mute the show or FF to avoid spoilers even when it's recorded.

When coming to the end of a chapter in a book, it doesn't say, "coming up in the next chapter!"

DRG 01-06-12 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 11066529)

I know a lot of reality shows did this in the early 2000s. As for if any STILL do this, I couldn't tell you because I stopped watching the ones that did. :)

dgmayor 01-06-12 10:17 AM

Kitchen Nightmares would be a 20 minute program if it wasn't for the coming up and after the commercial recaps. :)

MrSmearkase 01-06-12 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 11066527)

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 11066529)

Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew is big offender of this.

TGM 01-06-12 10:25 AM

ah, so shitty reality shows. OK, check. Not a problem then.

Draven 01-06-12 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 11066650)
Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew is big offender of this.

I think Celebrity Rehab is offending just by being on the air, so I don't see the issue.

SpanishTechno 01-06-12 12:15 PM

Cake Boss and Mythbusters do this. I assume it's to pad the show and also to try to hook viewers so they don't change the channel during the commercials. It's annoying on Mythbusters because sometimes they show a little too much and nearly spoil the results.

And to people who are saying "those shows suck so who cares", quit being a dick. Obviously some people like the shows or they wouldn't be on the air.

Draven 01-06-12 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno (Post 11066802)
Cake Boss and Mythbusters do this. I assume it's to pad the show and also to try to hook viewers so they don't change the channel during the commercials. It's annoying on Mythbusters because sometimes they show a little too much and nearly spoil the results.

And to people who are saying "those shows suck so who cares", quit being a dick. Obviously some people like the shows or they wouldn't be on the air.

I'm just saying I don't watch shows that do this, and it seems to be something a lot of bad or trashy shows do just to keep you watching.

Though when I had cable I did watch Mythbusters and they do do it as well. And it is annoying. But that's the only show I've ever watched that did it.

Crocker Jarmen 01-06-12 12:28 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7MFtl2XXnUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unclejosh 01-06-12 12:33 PM

I like them personally. Of course I don't care about spoilers. I don't care about the mystery of things, only how well it is executed. I regularly read spoilers and scripts before watching stuff. I hate trick endings or surprises in general but I also acknowledge I may be in the minority in that.

There are people who even refuse to watch the next week preview on shows which to me is mind boggling. I mean it is so foreign a concept to me that it is hard to understand. I hear what they say, "they dont want it to be ruined for them" but it is still hard to fathom to me.

Similar to how I feel about religious/sports fanatics and people who play fantasy sports. I hear what they say and respect their opinions, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

All I know is that I get very annoyed when I don't get my preview for the next weeks espidode on the shows I watch.

stopgap 01-06-12 12:48 PM

A rant/thought/mind-fart:

The 'anti - previously on ....' crowd.

Hmmm... The viewers that have an issue with those segments in fear of being spoiled for a show they about to watch within the next couple seconds.

Doesn't that sound a bit too much even as a television geek to most of you?

resinrats 01-06-12 05:32 PM

The new BSG had a preview of the ep right in opening titles.

ChrisHicks 01-06-12 06:07 PM

Wasn't there a show or 2 recently that would give a "what you just watched" or "here's what's happened so far" preview at around the half hour mark?

Original Desmond 01-06-12 09:55 PM

yeah i guess it is mainly reality shows, but some like Sons of Guns and American guns are good

treszoks 01-06-12 10:03 PM

Mythbusters is the worst. They preview what's coming up right before a commercial and then replay what just happened after the commercial. There's probably only 22 minutes of actual content in an hour episode.

wishbone 01-06-12 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11066481)
Another offender is the "previously on". That often will spoil things about the episode you're about to watch, especially "surprise" appearances from old characters.

http://i42.tinypic.com/4g20sx.jpg

Previously on...

Dragon Tattoo 01-06-12 10:58 PM

If you're watching reality shows you get what's coming to you.

PhantomStranger 01-07-12 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by treszoks (Post 11067435)
Mythbusters is the worst. They preview what's coming up right before a commercial and then replay what just happened after the commercial. There's probably only 22 minutes of actual content in an hour episode.

BBC America was doing that and it was awful.