Old 12-18-11, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 470 Likes on 348 Posts
Homeland -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- "Marine One" -- 12/18/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While Carrie is near catatonic and confined to bed, Saul investigates the unsettling implications of her timeline; Walker secures a perch for his mission; Brody makes his final preparations for the Vice President's policy summit at the State Department.

Episode 12 of 12

Episode Trailer:

<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1318547311001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1318547311001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Probably one of the best 1st season shows ever. Can't wait until tonight. The show IMO has been a solid 11 for 11 so far.
Old 12-18-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Homeland -- 90 Minute Season Finale -- "Marine One" -- 12/18/11

I think I'm not that excited about a finale since 2005.
Old 12-18-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I think I'm not that excited about a finale since 2005.

You mean this is the 1st season finale you've been really excited about since 2005? What show was that? Lost?
Old 12-18-11, 02:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, really excited for this tonight. I should probably lower my expectations a little so I don't set myself up for disappointment. But the way this season has been...
Old 12-18-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
You mean this is the 1st season finale you've been really excited about since 2005? What show was that? Lost?
Yeah. And yeah, Lost.
Old 12-18-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really should temper my expectations a bit as well.

Regardless, I'm amped for this tonight.
Old 12-18-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would just like point out that at....8:26 pm central time.....that I'm worried that our 11-for-11 golden streak this season may be tarnished tonight.

It's been one hell of a great ride, but I hope that some sort of cliffhanger etc doesn't ruin the season for some people.

I am really looking forward to this final episode and will probably be happy no matter what happens...................as long as Damian Lewis' character lives and will be back next season.
Old 12-18-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't watched this episode yet but the show has earned my trust. I'm throwing caution to the wind and not tempering my expectations at all. I expect it to be as well-written and -acted as the rest of the episode have been.
Old 12-18-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I haven't watched this episode yet but the show has earned my trust. I'm throwing caution to the wind and not tempering my expectations at all. I expect it to be as well-written and -acted as the rest of the episode have been.
i hope u are right, mikah c
Old 12-18-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great episode as expected, but no balls writers, no balls.
Old 12-18-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Great episode as expected, but no balls writers, no balls.
i wouldn't go that far.
Spoiler:
w Carrie being essentially brain wiped, i don't think she'll return next season
Old 12-19-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, she is a pretty integral part of the show, even more than brody. Normally you'd say even with Saul's help she wouldn't have a chance of being let back in, but Saul does hold an awfully large card now. The way it ended with Nazir, I'm not sure where they go from here. I would have said that Brody's video would pop up somewhere, which would lead Saul getting Carrie back in, but not after Nazir saw the light in having Brody be a policymaker.

I still wish Brody had followed through, and season 2 was finding the mole with Carrie's help (after being proved correct on everything, she might be let back in), but I guess Damien Lewis is just too good to write off.
Old 12-19-11, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interview w 2 of the exec producers
http://www.tvline.com/2011/12/homela...-gansa-gordon/
Old 12-19-11, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Normally you'd say even with Saul's help she wouldn't have a chance of being let back in,
Without having seen the show, I'm hoping this won't end up being like 24 where the main character is called back in each season even though she no longer works for the "agency". Even reading these threads this season it seems like the 24 writers can't escape many of their old tropes.

Gonna start marathoning this tomorrow, though. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-19-11, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That shit was depressing.
Old 12-19-11, 04:45 AM

Best Show of 2011. I was thinking the same thing of the 24 style that somehow she will be back helping whether or not she still has a job there. Maybe Saul will get his own department and hire her Season 2 has to be about the mole.
Old 12-19-11, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought it was a solid end to one of the best 1st season shows ever.

I think one of the most poignant moments in the episode was when Brody was moments away from killing everyone and he received the call from his daughter. Lewis' acting in that scene was money. It really showed how torn he was about commiting this act.

I glanced over at the Homeland Facebook page and the majority enjoyed the finale, but a few were disappointed that there wasn't enough action or that the writers didn't have the balls to have Brody actually commit mass murder and kill the President and his administration in that bunker. I totally disagree with those sentiments. This show has always been a character-driven Political thriller and not the Showtime version of 24.

I think the direction they are taking with season 2 is Brody being a trusted and key member of Walden's administration and also being a loyal spy to Abu Nazir. With that in mind, I think the writers goal for next season will have Brody being a key contributor (unknowingly to Walden) to the destruction of his Presidential Administration. Rather than commiting outright murder, I think destroying Walden's administration and ruining his public image will be a more powerful form of revenge for Brody and Nazir. With Carrie, she's back to square one, but I think they can still work her in as she's putting her life back together and Saul will come back to her for insight in trying to stop Nazir and ultimately find out about Brody's motives. Plus, there is still the mole, so I think there is definitely another 12 hours of story to tell.

That was an interesting cliffhanger with Carrie figuring out the Issa angle before she got the treatment.

The show finished 12 for 12 in my book and season 1 gets a solid A.

I fully expect Homeland to be winning alot of awards in 2012. Congrats to Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa for one hell of a 1st season.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-19-11 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-19-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Great ending to a great season, as every episode was riveting. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, as Damien Lewis really nailed the scene before as he was about to detonate himself. I think next year Carrie will be working with Saul on the side, more of a consultant to him because she cannot get back into the CIA. Will she remember that Brody was calling out to Nazir's son when they slept together? I say that part of her memory comes back in the season finale of Season 2.
Old 12-19-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There is not one single show on TV that can get my heart going like this one. Fantastic finale! I'm not surprised they went the direction they did with Brody, but I didn't see Carrie's fate coming at all! Maybe because I didn't think they did that anymore??

One complaint is that I wish we knew more about Walker's motivation. Brody had Isa's death that pushed him. Was Walker the same?

I think the two plot threadns next year will be Carrie getting her new life sorted - her sister will remember what she said about remembering what she said and eventually tell Saul, and Brody working for Abu Nazir as a Congressman.
Old 12-19-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This season finale was simply breathtaking. Way better than the other episodes this season.

The scenes with the 16-year-old daughter were incredible as were the ones with Brody.

I don't think the writers could've done any better than they did.

This sets up all sorts of potentially great story lines for Season 2.
Old 12-19-11, 09:33 AM

Solid finale last night to a great freshman season. I think my only gripe with last night's episode is the bomb malfunctioning. I think that was a stretch and I hate to say it, but rather lazy for the writing team. As for the rest, intense, edge-of-your-seat stuff -- especially both of the scenes leading up to Brody pressing the button, very well done.

Great ending as well with the shot of getting treated at the hospital. Minor gripes aside, this show went out 12 for 12 for me as well.
Old 12-19-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was solid B+ maybe even A-.

I liked the finale, I think it was good. But I had two nitpicks:

-First the bomb malfunctioning. Somehow the writing there didn't convince me, if not for the acting, that was really great, I would be disappointed. Lewis did a lot without too much there.

-Then, Carrie finally figures out Issa and Brody, and basically everything, and then she receives the treatment, that they mentioned before causes memory loss, oh wait, temporary memory loss.

This is not a nitpick, just an observation, at the end the shows power is how much you believe if Brody is or not a terrorist/converted. That's how they played season one, and it seems that's how they are going to play season two too. In season one they delivered.

There are already some critics, there is a "famous" article in the NYT, when they talk about how some shows are like Lost that just open questions and never answer, and you just go from riddle to riddle. I'm in total disagreement with that article but it's good to see the other side too, I think.
Old 12-19-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I think that was a stretch and I hate to say it, but rather lazy for the writing team. As for the rest, intense, edge-of-your-seat stuff -- especially both of the scenes leading up to Brody pressing the button, very well done.
l.
Remember the shoe-bomber on the plane during Christmas a few years ago, as didn't his bomb malfunction? I think for TV standards is seemed very cliche for it not to go off, but I guess the terrorists aren't perfect and can fuck up every now and then.
Old 12-19-11, 11:33 AM

I realize it does happen. After reading the article linked in post #13, I do give their decision more credibility since it raises a couple valid points on this topic. It was a challenging place to take the story where you are literally cornered with not many ways to get out of it.
Old 12-19-11, 01:07 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nmyXQTpqlao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.