DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/597257-boardwalk-empire-season-finale-lost-12-11-11-a.html)

malichai 12-19-11 03:46 PM

Re: Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11047641)
Did you "root" for Tony Soprano? I don't get it.

I found Tony Soprano a much more compelling character than Nucky Thompson. And yes, I sort've was rooting for Tony to come out on top. I don't feel that way about Nucky. I want to see him fail alone, or I would've settled for seeing him succeed with Darmody at his side. The Shield and Breaking Bad both featured anti-heroes as their leads, but I found those leads compelling. For whatever reason, I was invested in those villains. I just don't give a crap about Nucky, and maybe that's the writing, or maybe it's Steve Buscemi (who I think is a brilliant supporting actor, but doesn't have enough charisma for me as a lead).

Again, I'm not questioning the brilliance of the show, just that personally, I need a center character to root for, and now this show doesn't have it. For the sake of good television, I hope this show is on the air for the next 5 years, but I wouldn't enjoy watching it because of my own idiosyncrasies, so I'm out.

CRM114 12-20-11 08:25 AM

I know what you mean with Buscemi but I think he has really grown into the role and has become more believable as a ruthless badass.

bunkaroo 12-20-11 08:37 AM

Buscemi's gotten better but I still don't think he's the right kind of actor to carry a show as the main lead. James Gandolfini had a presence about him which let him do so. Buscemi has always felt like more of a "supporting" actor to me.

mcnabb 12-20-11 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 11048940)
Buscemi's gotten better but I still don't think he's the right kind of actor to carry a show as the main lead. James Gandolfini had a presence about him which let him do so. Buscemi has always felt like more of a "supporting" actor to me.

Totally agree with you. I love Buscemi as an actor, but he doesn't have 'it' to be a leading man, and I think Boardwalk Empire would have been better off if they got a no-name actor to play Nucky.

Regardless, I still love the show.

JeffTheAlpaca 12-20-11 03:12 PM

Eli as far as we know is the only family Nucky has left. As you said, that has to count for something.
This won't be a Michael and Freddy Corleone situation hopefully.

I like Nucky and you have some empathy for him since you see his softer side with Margaret and the kids.

crazychris88 02-06-12 04:58 PM

"Boardwalk Empire Exclusive: Paz de la Huerta Not Returning For Season 3"
http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/boardw...-huerta-fired/
"Boardwalk Empire has whacked Paz de la Huerta.
TVLine has learned exclusively that the HBO mob hit has opted not to pick up the actress’ Season 3 contract option, which means viewers have likely seen the last of her character, Lucy Danziger.
Introduced in Season 1 as Nucky’s (Steve Buscemi) unhinged mistress, Lucy spent much of Season 2 pregnant and shacked up with Michael Shannon’s Van Alden (the baby daddy). Shortly after giving birth, she went on a formula run and never returned, leaving the baby in Van Alden’s care.
An HBO rep declined to comment for this story.
De la Huerta’s exit brings to four the number of original Empire cast members not returning for Season 3; she joins Michael Pitt, Dabney Coleman and Aleksa Palladino (all of whom were killed off in Season 2′s final hours).
To fill the void, producers are introducing several new characters, including a rival to Nucky played by Bobby Cannavale."

-Kinda sad by this. I liked her nudity thats for sure and wish we coulda gotten a resolution to her character at least. Maybe she wanted too much money or something.

mcnabb 02-07-12 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by crazychris88 (Post 11105227)
"Boardwalk Empire Exclusive: Paz de la Huerta Not Returning For Season 3"
g.

Thank god she's gone, her character was so annoying!

islandclaws 02-07-12 11:59 AM

Good riddance to a useless, annoying character.

Thrush 02-07-12 07:52 PM

Once the novelty of seeing her naked every week wore off, it was only a matter of time.

creekdipper 02-08-12 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 11105839)
Thank god she's gone, her character was so annoying!

"Don't you like me anymoah , Daddy?"

creekdipper 02-08-12 06:01 AM

Until they whack Kelly McDonald, I'll keep watching.

Heck, if I go blind, I'll still tune in just to hear her talk.

creekdipper 02-08-12 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 11049017)
Totally agree with you. I love Buscemi as an actor, but he doesn't have 'it' to be a leading man, and I think Boardwalk Empire would have been better off if they got a no-name actor to play Nucky.

Regardless, I still love the show.

Bring in Paulie Walnuts!

Kinda agree that Buscemi, while a great character actor, lacks a little in the gangsta dept. (He wasn't "Mr. Pink" for nuthin'). When the show began, I thought the whole idea was that he is the weaselly sort who pulls strings & lets others do the heavy lifting, but his being pushed into the role of personally whacking people takes his thing to a different level.

I can see Nucky intimidating people through his connections & political pull more than muscle. It made for a great plot twist & finale, but I don't see anyone stepping in to fill Jimmy's shoes as a foil for Nucky right now after two seasons of building Jimmy's story.

CRM114 02-08-12 08:37 AM

Lucy was annoying in Season 2 when she was pregnant. Season 1 she was decent playing a roaring 20's style whore. I'm not sure what people think a roaring 20's whore would have been like...

Thrush 02-08-12 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper (Post 11107099)
Kinda agree that Buscemi, while a great character actor, lacks a little in the gangsta dept. (He wasn't "Mr. Pink" for nuthin'). When the show began, I thought the whole idea was that he is the weaselly sort who pulls strings & lets others do the heavy lifting, but his being pushed into the role of personally whacking people takes his thing to a different level.

Reminds me of the line in Unbreakable " there's always two kinds; there's the soldier villain - who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat - the brilliant and evil archenemy - who fights the hero with his mind.".

I dont think Nucky is going to start wacking people. That situation with Jimmy was a special circumstance. Jimmy in many ways was the closest thing Nucky had to a son. He chose to do it himself rather than take the easy way out and let someone else do it like Jimmy did when he hired someone to kill Nucky. Probably figured he owed him that much.

Buttmunker 02-09-12 12:44 PM

The murder of Jimmy was inevitable, and it made sense for Nucky to carry the murder out himself. I would appreciate it if Season 3 showed Nucky having nightmares about it - and it would be a pretty good excuse to have Michael Pitt return to the show, via flashbacks.

islandclaws 02-09-12 01:24 PM

It's already been confirmed Pitt, Coleman and Huerta are all not returning.

creekdipper 02-09-12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 11108385)
Reminds me of the line in Unbreakable " there's always two kinds; there's the soldier villain - who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat - the brilliant and evil archenemy - who fights the hero with his mind.".

I dont think Nucky is going to start wacking people. That situation with Jimmy was a special circumstance. Jimmy in many ways was the closest thing Nucky had to a son. He chose to do it himself rather than take the easy way out and let someone else do it like Jimmy did when he hired someone to kill Nucky. Probably figured he owed him that much.

I dunno. Your points about Jimmy being a special case are well-taken, but I think Nucky has shown a propensity for violence on other occasions when he's riled (specifically with Eli & Margaret). It might be a crime of passion, but I don't think Nucky would hesitate to pick up a gat and blast away if he's offended...especially with the Irish dude who's a bit over-zealously guarding Margaret's body.

That would still qualify as a special occasion, though. I would expect Nucky to pull a Billy Bathgate on them with concrete overshoes. Or, to use a more modern analogy, pull a Big Pussy on them.