DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/597257-boardwalk-empire-season-finale-lost-12-11-11-a.html)

BDB 12-12-11 11:20 AM

Re: Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11

I thought for sure Eli was going to get it as well.

UncleGramps 12-12-11 12:02 PM

I figured that Nucky understood Margaret's intelligence well enough by this point in time to not attempt to deceive her. I wonder if she would have transferred the land to the church if he had either kept quiet, or come right out and admitted the truth.

Gunde 12-12-11 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 11039083)
rumor going around is that Michael Pitt was a huge pain in the ass to work with, hense one of the reasons killing him off

That rumour was started by his former agent at UTA who "fired" him (how do you fire your employer?) when he found out that Pitt was ready to sign with WME.

CRM114 12-12-11 05:04 PM

Refresh my memory. When Jimmy, Eli, Jimmy's mom, and the Commodore decided to knock off Nucky, I recall Eli being totally for it and Jimmy having doubts. Am I misremembering?

Disappointed by Margaret signing over the deed. I thought she was going all in and turning evil as Mrs. Thompson.

Dave99 12-12-11 05:13 PM

Nope, you got it. Eli said something to the effect of "just put a bullet in his head already".

JasonF 12-12-11 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11039909)
Disappointed by Margaret signing over the deed. I thought she was going all in and turning evil as Mrs. Thompson.

Agreed. Evil Mrs. Thompson seemed interesting to me, but Conflicted, Give the Money to the Church Mrs. Thompson seems like a retread of Carmela Soprano to me. Not that Carmela wasn't interesting, but been there done that.

Shady12 12-12-11 06:00 PM

I actually wasn't surprised...I felt it coming. I'm bummed though, don't know about most but loved the character.

Red Dog 12-12-11 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy (Post 11039478)
I thought for sure Eli was going to get it as well.

That's what I thought too. Don't see many shows take out a lead character. Definitely unexpected.

The widow Schroeder.....so disappointed in you. -ohbfrank-

Coral 12-12-11 07:11 PM

I suspected they might kill off Jimmy just to have some balls, but at the same time I didn't expect it either. Jimmy knew he was dead before he left the house... the same with his mom and Richard. We were warned when his mom found Jimmy's dogtags on his son... and she said that the kid will be a big man in the city some day.

This definitely felt like a series finale to me. The anchors of the show are Nucky and Jimmy... and now with Jimmy gone I fear next season won't be nearly as good. It won't feel balanced.

I have no problem with Margaret signing over the dead to the church. Nucky keeps underestimating her intelligence. Come on... meets up with Jimmy to clear the air... and oh, coincidentally he re-enlisted in the army and already left.... so you won't be seeing him around anymore.

Dave99 12-12-11 08:14 PM

Yeah, I didn't think that signing over the deed was the same as giving the cash. With the cash, she felt guilty about her kid with polio. With the deed, she was punishing nucky for blatantly lying to her.

Bill Needle 12-12-11 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 11039528)
I figured that Nucky understood Margaret's intelligence well enough by this point in time to not attempt to deceive her. I wonder if she would have transferred the land to the church if he had either kept quiet, or come right out and admitted the truth.

Yeah, the "Jimmy re-enlisted" line was pretty ham-handed for such a skillful liar as Nucky. I guess they wanted us to be very aware that Margaret knew he was blatantly lying to her, that she now undeniably understood she had been fooled.

I figured Jimmy was probably done for when he blurted out his understanding that the Commodore's fortune would go to him and then to his son when he dies, sort of, "Well then, that settles that." Then the dog tags given to his son, telling Richard he could "come home now," etc. But I wasn't sure they would actually do it until they did.

Great season of a great show.

stopgap 12-12-11 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by barelypure (Post 11039274)
Noooooooo, don't tell me that. I haven't watched the episode yet!! That's why there's a spoiler button.

Don't view threads until AFTER you watch the episode. I just finished it and now catching up in here.

Sorry but that was your fault.

CRM114 12-12-11 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 11040082)
I suspected they might kill off Jimmy just to have some balls, but at the same time I didn't expect it either. Jimmy knew he was dead before he left the house... the same with his mom and Richard. We were warned when his mom found Jimmy's dogtags on his son... and she said that the kid will be a big man in the city some day.

This definitely felt like a series finale to me. The anchors of the show are Nucky and Jimmy... and now with Jimmy gone I fear next season won't be nearly as good. It won't feel balanced.

I have no problem with Margaret signing over the dead to the church. Nucky keeps underestimating her intelligence. Come on... meets up with Jimmy to clear the air... and oh, coincidentally he re-enlisted in the army and already left.... so you won't be seeing him around anymore.

Why would Jimmy know? Was there an indication of this earlier?

It seemed to me Peg started to go along with Nucky and be complicit in his crimes by enriching herself by agreeing to marry him. Guess I was wrong on that. It makes more sense to me that Nucky's wife would be partially in on it.

nickdawgy 12-12-11 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by stopgap (Post 11040353)
Don't view threads until AFTER you watch the episode. I just finished it and now catching up in here.

Sorry but that was your fault.

I have to agree. It's one thing to spoil parts of video games or movies, but if you come into a thread about an episode, assume people will talk about it.

Anyway, I liked the episode, but I wasn't blown away like most of you guys were. It's been too predictable lately.

When Nucky mentioned the deed and Margaret shrugged it off like it was nothing, I said to my wife that she's going to sign it to the church or even her relatives.

When they showed Jimmy's kid with his dog tags, I knew he was going to be killed. Or at least he knew he'd be killed.

When nobody agreed with Jimmy to spare Nucky, I knew someone would be killed, and when they forced the treasurer to write the confession, I knew they wouldn't leave without killing him.

Still a great show and good finish, and I am hoping it comes back sooner rather than later.

DonnachaOne 12-13-11 04:17 AM

I think Margaret is headed for her own nasty surprise. Katy has resented her ever since she surmised that she lost Owen to her (while never explicitly stated, it's certainly implied). Who does she entrust the letter delivery to? Katy.

ytrez 12-13-11 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11040369)
Why would Jimmy know? Was there an indication of this earlier?

It was foreshadowed a few times. First when Richard told Jimmy that no matter what you do, Nucky won't forgive you. Again in the scene with the will. And finally, when Jimmy was talking to Richard about the war.

Which makes me wonder why Jimmy went so far out of his way to help Nucky in the first place, knowing that it would only get him killed anyway. Penance?

bunkaroo 12-13-11 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 11040503)
I think Margaret is headed for her own nasty surprise. Katy has resented her ever since she surmised that she lost Owen to her (while never explicitly stated, it's certainly implied). Who does she entrust the letter delivery to? Katy.

Good catch - I didn't even think about that. You gotta figure Katy looks at what she's delivering.

CRM114 12-13-11 08:32 AM

Or Nucky's crew just goes and whacks the priest and taxes the deed back.

uteotw 12-13-11 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 11040543)
It was foreshadowed a few times. First when Richard told Jimmy that no matter what you do, Nucky won't forgive you. Again in the scene with the will. And finally, when Jimmy was talking to Richard about the war.

Which makes me wonder why Jimmy went so far out of his way to help Nucky in the first place, knowing that it would only get him killed anyway. Penance?

To the first part, he clearly knew since he went in unarmed. He said it was something he needed "to do alone," and when they said he could get his revenge he said, "Is that what this is?" He went in there Zen-like, totally calm, accepting his fate head on. Brilliantly played all around (and I never saw it coming). I really liked the fact that Jimmy played it like that, rather than the way Van Alden did.

To the second part, I wondered the same thing: the whole killing the dude & making it looking like a suicide (pre-CSI), etc.--just a way of making amends?

Nefarious 12-13-11 08:56 AM

I think in Jimmy's mind Nucky was his father. He was never comfortable with any of it and always showed conflicted emotions. I think the forced confession/killing of the treasurer was, in his mind, him paying his penance.

superdeluxe 12-13-11 09:00 AM

Katy is going to screw Margaret,.

bunkaroo 12-13-11 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 11040646)
Katy is going to screw Margaret,.

:eyebrow:

superfro 12-13-11 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 11040624)
He went in there Zen-like, totally calm, accepting his fate head on. Brilliantly played all around (and I never saw it coming). I really liked the fact that Jimmy played it like that, rather than the way Van Alden did.

And goaded Nucky into pulling the trigger which was also really well done. I think it was mentioned in that linked article, but I really loved the way they handled the stuff with Jimmy in direct context of him saying to Nucky way back in the pilot about not being able to be half a gangster. It was completely poetic that it was Jimmy that talked him through finally stepping over that line.

crazychris88 12-13-11 10:52 AM

Amazing episode ending an Amazing season. What balls it took to do that with the Jimmy character. Certainly never thought they were really gonna do that "Holy Fuck!" were the words out of my girlfriends mouth and that echoed my sentiments as well. Well done. Gonna be a long wait for Season 3 .

andicus 12-13-11 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 11040503)

Excellent call! I hope you're right.