By djariya at 2011-12-06
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-07-11
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-07-29

Eureka 8pm

"Do You See What I See"

Spoiler:
Eureka becomes animated after a strange wave of colors washes over the town.

Warehouse 13 9pm

"The Greatest Gift"

Spoiler:
Pete touches an artifact that puts him in a world where he never existed, and he must reassemble the team and defeat a nemesis from the past to restore his existence.

Haven 10pm

"Silent Night"

Spoiler:
Christmas decorations pop up in Haven in July, and the town becomes a place where people can't leave and some have disappeared without a trace.

I figured since all 3 of these are airing tonight back to back to back. Might as well combine the thread together since these episodes all self contained anyways.
Old 12-06-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Eureka -- Warehouse 13 -- Haven -- Christmas Specials -- 12/06/11

I'm watching Eureka live right now, and this looks to be a classic. Can't wait to see the other two eps.
Old 12-06-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eureka was awesome! Loved all the different animation styles, especially the stop-motion stuff and the snow ninjas. I also liked that they addressed how much abuse Jack's poor Jeep has taken . Great holiday episode.
Old 12-06-11, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eureka was a lot of fun. Had me smiling the whole time. Will watch the others at a later date.
Old 12-07-11, 05:14 PM

Eureka was awesome. I'm making a snow ninja as soon as it snows.

I enjoyed Warehouse 13 but after Eureka, it just fell flat in the excitement. I did love the A Christmas Story nod in the warehouse though.
Old 12-07-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Snow Ninjas! Carl the Jeep giving Jack a piece of his mind! I'm gonna miss this show when it's gone.
Old 12-07-11, 07:14 PM

Funny, it seems everyone watched Eureka first like I did. Loved it.
I'll watch the other two later and I am anticipating enjoying them a lot as well but just have a soft spot for Eureka.
Old 12-08-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I loved Eureka's homages to cartoon styles including South Park, Peanuts, and Hanna Barbara. I hated how DirecTV's feed had the sound knocked out of sync after twenty minutes in. It was distracting as hell and then it bleed seven minutes into Warehouse 13.

As far as Warehouse 13, I found the episode very well done and loved the unique way the writers showed how connected the characters are and why the fatal flaw in the relationship is so important. Pete explaining to Claudia that he was her big brother, Myka was her big sister, and Artie was her dad was very sweet.

I haven't watched Haven yet but I plan to later this week.
Old 12-08-11, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Eureka was fucking awesome.

All the animation styles were great. Loved it when Carter turned into Ranger Carter and his jeep started talking and giving him shit. That animation kind of reminded me of old Saturday morning cartoons.

Loved Jo White as well. at Fargo as a bobblehead.

The Japan Anime at the end was top notch. The Eureka creative team did one hell of a job this episode.

Only 13 more episodes left next summer.
Old 12-08-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by emachine12
I loved Eureka's homages to cartoon styles including South Park, Peanuts, and Hanna Barbara. I hated how DirecTV's feed had the sound knocked out of sync after twenty minutes in. It was distracting as hell and then it bleed seven minutes into Warehouse 13.
The audio dropping out at the end was annoying as hell. Watching Warehouse 13 right now and it's grating. Thanks for pointing out it's only 7 mins in.

Forgot to mention, loved the Holiday themed opening montage on Eureka.
Old 12-08-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Warehouse 13 was great.

I liked how Pete was the center of the episode and for the most part it felt like a normal episode with some touches of It's a Wonderful Lifel. It really showed how all these characters are connected to each other even in alternate universes. Alternate Myka was uptight and snooty and I loved how Pete's personality helped her loosen up and she quickly became the Myka we've grown to know over the 3 years.

Pete's little speech to Claudia about how they have become like a family was very nice.

Good Holiday themed episode.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-11 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Wrong movie quoted
Old 12-08-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Warehouse 13 was great.

I liked how Pete was the center of the episode and for the most part it felt like a normal episode with some light touches of A Christmas Carol.
Light touches of A Christmas Carol? Have you never seen It's a Wonderful Life? It was a complete clone of that movie. Right down the candy cane (Zuzu's petals). Not that that is a bad thing. It's my favorite Christmas movie. Still, how could you compare it to A Christmas Carol?
Old 12-08-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Light touches of A Christmas Carol? Have you never seen It's a Wonderful Life? It was a complete clone of that movie. Right down the candy cane (Zuzu's petals). Not that that is a bad thing. It's my favorite Christmas movie. Still, how could you compare it to A Christmas Carol?
Your right. Wrong X-Mas movie. I don't know how I got them mixed up. Plus, it was so clear at the end when everyone was watching It's a Wonderful Life and Pete said..."Noooooooo!!!"
Old 12-08-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Haven was a very good episode with an appropriate use of the Christmas theme. It was entirely out of continuity with the dramatic conclusion we last saw from the show and was a pure standalone episode. Having given up on the other shows years ago, I did not feel compelled to catch up with them.
Old 12-09-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really enjoyed the Warehouse 13 episode (only one of these 3 shows that I watch). Although it did feel a bit wierd considering how the season ended and they pretty much ignored what happened in the finale.
Old 12-09-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Really enjoyed the Warehouse 13 episode (only one of these 3 shows that I watch). Although it did feel a bit wierd considering how the season ended and they pretty much ignored what happened in the finale.
The Christmas episodes are self contained and I guess they exist in a different world compared to what happened in the season.
Old 12-09-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Originally Posted by DJariya
The Christmas episodes are self contained and I guess they exist in a different world compared to what happened in the season.
I haven't watched Haven's yet but Eureka and Warehouse 13's Christmas episodes are all bookended by a narrator of some sort. Hence, they are self-contained stories wihin the current universe. However, whether those stories actually happened within the current universe is up for debate.

We had a similar argument/discussion about last year's Eureka Chistmas episodes which was told by Sheriff Carter. This year's epsiode was told by SARAH and she even teases whether it happened or not.

I believe Mrs. Frederickson was the narrator for last year's Warehouse 13 Christmas episode as well as this one.
Old 12-11-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the Warehouse 13 episode. The Pete/Myka banter was great.

The Haven episode was also good, but I think it was the least of the three. I've already rewatched the Eureka ep and it holds up.

I'd like to see other shows do these special holiday episodes.
Old 12-12-11, 08:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Edward James Olmos was in the opening credits of Eureka.

Who was he? The talking jeep?

Thos.
Old 12-12-11, 11:19 PM

No, he was the sled dog leader
Old 12-13-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Just watched the Haven X-Mas episode. Enjoyed it, but not as much as Eureka and Warehouse 13. Thought it was cool how the characters kept disappearing and only Audrey was unaffected.

Since this episode took place around July, it looks like it fits in the current timeline of the show. Kind of funny that they made a Christmas episode out of something that took place in the summer.
Old 12-13-11, 04:42 PM

I go way back in the history of TV and have seen many a Christmas special episode, (I'll always have a fondness for the Dick Van Dyke talent show episode.) but I have never seen a better, or more clever one than Eureka's. Not only the blending of styles, but the use of a specific style for a specific part of the show--like using action hero style for the climax--was simply brilliant. I almost think you could show it to a person who has never seen Eureka and they would still enjoy it.

Syfy channel, even though they have cancelled the sixth season, should be given credit for allowing what must have been an expensive episode to go forward.
Old 12-13-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eureka episode was great.
Old 12-16-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I go way back in the history of TV and have seen many a Christmas special episode, (I'll always have a fondness for the Dick Van Dyke talent show episode.) but I have never seen a better, or more clever one than Eureka's. Not only the blending of styles, but the use of a specific style for a specific part of the show--like using action hero style for the climax--was simply brilliant. I almost think you could show it to a person who has never seen Eureka and they would still enjoy it.

Syfy channel, even though they have cancelled the sixth season, should be given credit for allowing what must have been an expensive episode to go forward.
Agreed on all counts. It's a shame that it had to be cancelled.
Old 12-27-11, 04:54 PM

The Eureka episode was great. I kind of fell out of the habit of watching it around the middle of season 3 and then kind of got back into it when the travelled back to their revised present. While the episode was pretty action-packed, it also did a good job of showing how well the cast interacts with other. I may have to go back and catch up on the episodes I missed.

While the Eureka episode was better, I didn't feel like was "let down" by the Warehouse 13 episode since I saw the Warehouse 13 episode first based on all the comments. Also, the chemistry between all the leads (Myka, Pete, Claudia and Artie) is great. Other than the season finale, I've been more willing to keep up with the show because of the relationships on the show.

The Haven episode was actually okay. I gave up on the show after the first season. The two male leads are alright, but I found Audrey Parker incredibly grating and the mysteries rather boring. Has the series gotten better in the second season?