Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- Midseason Finale -- "Pretty Much Dead Already" -- 11/27/11

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Midseason Finale -- "Pretty Much Dead Already" -- 11/27/11

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Because he's a villain.
Not in my eyes.
Old 11-29-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Midseason Finale -- "Pretty Much Dead Already" -- 11/27/11

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Because he's a villain.
Which is really a shame. Imagine how gripping the story would be if both Rick and Shane were equally as calm and had everything together. Even though Shane is losing it, he still make sa lot of valid points. Rick is certainly correct that the group needs to keep a grip on their humanity, but it was pretty obvious that they were just spinning their wheels and not accomplishing anything.
Old 11-29-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Which is really a shame. Imagine how gripping the story would be if both Rick and Shane were equally as calm and had everything together. Even though Shane is losing it, he still make sa lot of valid points. Rick is certainly correct that the group needs to keep a grip on their humanity, but it was pretty obvious that they were just spinning their wheels and not accomplishing anything.
They were spinning their wheels because of the two kids, one shot, one missing. I'd rather be on team Rick than team Shane.
Old 11-29-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I, living in that world, had a choice between killing you and living or not killing you and both of us dying, I'd probably have made the same choice. Especially if sacrificing myself might have still ended up with both of us dying.
Old 11-29-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'd rather be on team Rick than team Shane.
I'd rather never hear "Team Rick" or "Team Shane" ever again.
Old 11-29-11, 04:22 PM

# of fans on Team T-dog = 0. He has to be the next to go, right? Probably no need for a spoiler, but...
Spoiler:
Tyreese would be so much better. However, I don't know if there's enough room for another alpha male within the current group dynamics.
Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
If I, living in that world, had a choice between killing you and living or not killing you and both of us dying, I'd probably have made the same choice. Especially if sacrificing myself might have still ended up with both of us dying.
Would you then own up to the fact you did it and explain why, or would you lie about it to cover your ass like Shane did?

Shane is a coward. He lies. He doesn't own up to his actions. He can only be counted on to do the self-serving thing.

Which, I suppose, makes him the archetypical alpha male. (Since everyone is throwing that word around.)
Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I'd agree, but Shane shot Otis because Shane had an injury and would have been zombie food no matter what. He could have let Otis deliver the goods. Even with Otis getting used as a diversion, Shane was still an easy target if the zombies kept after him. Shane was saving Shane.
Originally Posted by superfro
I'd rather never hear "Team Rick" or "Team Shane" ever again.
You got it. I was just going with the earlier comments.
Old 11-29-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Otis technically would be charged with injuring a human while hunting. If, Carl dies and it was found that Otis was hunting illegally, he'd be charged under the Felony Murder Rule. Right before Shane killed Otis, did they trespass to get to the trailer? Was it breaking and entering to get in? Burglary when they took supplies? Was shooting zombies murder? Heck, it isn't even legal for them to carry those weapons. Murder no longer applies because laws don't really exist anymore.

Going back to Shane's choice while being pursued by a horde of zombies. Both he and Otis were slowing down so the zombies were gaining ground. Both didn't have enough ammo to stop the zombies. They held medical equipment that would save Carl.

Option 1: Shoot Otis so Carl & Shane live. The reason they are there in the first place is because of Otis shooting Carl.

Option 2: Both die running, Carl dies at home. No murder, but everyone dies.

Option 3: Shane sacrifices himself so that Otis might get away and might save Carl. But... Shane is a killing machine and Otis is an older limping 350 pound man. If you were trying to save the life of a kid, who is the best choice at getting the supplies back to save Carl?
I have a problem with your logic. You're using any "fact" available to justify Otis being "sacrificed." But let's just for the moment say that while there may be no "official" law in the form of paid peace officers and a court system, there is certainly still common law where murder has been a no-no for hundreds of years. And of course there is still moral law.

Under either of these two "systems" of law, murder is a no-no.

You're also leaving out several scenarios where Carl dies anyway, regardless of if they get the supplies to the farm or not. Shane perhaps believed that Carl's best chance to survive was for him to get the supplies to the farm, but there were no gaurantees that Carl would survive. Heck Carl could have already been dead by the time he shot Otis for all Shane knew! And if you argue that then Otis getting shot was appropriate since he shot Carl, I would say that Otis accidently shot Carl. He didn't know he was standing behind the deer. Shane purposely shot Otis. Not the same thing. Certainly not old testament law of an eye for an eye.

And let's not kid ourselves. We don't know for 100 percent sure that Shane's motivation for shooting Otis wasn't HIS OWN survival.
Old 11-29-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
You got it. I was just going with the earlier comments.
I'm Team Pizza.
Old 11-29-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the mid-season finale had 6.6 million viewers.

I finally got into this series. I blazed through season 1 on Netflix streaming and managed to get caught up on season 2. The middle parts of this season were slow in certain areas, and the Sophia search definitely dragged out far too long. But they did a fantastic job closing that storyline. And I agree with many that Shane's tirade at the end was just freaking awesome. Literally using the zombie as a "power point" presentation to Hershel on why they are dangerous.

I like most of the characters on the show. I thought Daryl was going to just be the typical redneck character, but he has grown on me. Glenn is another favorite and it's hard not to like Rick, as he's the de-facto leader who tries to do the right thing.
Old 11-29-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
I have a problem with your logic. You're using any "fact" available to justify Otis being "sacrificed." But let's just for the moment say that while there may be no "official" law in the form of paid peace officers and a court system, there is certainly still common law where murder has been a no-no for hundreds of years. And of course there is still moral law.

Under either of these two "systems" of law, murder is a no-no.

You're also leaving out several scenarios where Carl dies anyway, regardless of if they get the supplies to the farm or not. Shane perhaps believed that Carl's best chance to survive was for him to get the supplies to the farm, but there were no gaurantees that Carl would survive. Heck Carl could have already been dead by the time he shot Otis for all Shane knew! And if you argue that then Otis getting shot was appropriate since he shot Carl, I would say that Otis accidently shot Carl. He didn't know he was standing behind the deer. Shane purposely shot Otis. Not the same thing. Certainly not old testament law of an eye for an eye.

And let's not kid ourselves. We don't know for 100 percent sure that Shane's motivation for shooting Otis wasn't HIS OWN survival.
I don't think Shane shooting Otis was a selfless act... He was trying to save his own ass and Carl's. His tribe is worth more then Hershel's tribe. The lives of the people you love is worth more then the people you don't know. That rule has been around for longer then the last few hundred years and in much of the world that law still exists. What I'm saying is, if Shane was a murderer then he would have killed Otis the first chance he had for shooting Carl. Shane clearly liked Otis, just moments before they each saved the other's life even. If they were trying to show he was just evil, they would've made the getaway and then Otis gets in a ditch. Instead they were showing something else (big clue was his protect speech at the barn & his leave Sophia behind speech).

But, he justified his action because at the end of the day, he is in charge of protecting his group. He clearly understands that Rick is the leader... but he is the protector. He is in charge of security. He watches the group while Rick goes off on missions. He watched over Lori and Carl while Rick was presumed dead. Heck, he even tried to protect Rick in the hospital.

I don't think it is fair to say that Otis had a better shot of escaping if Shane sacrificed himself. Otis was winded and limping from the jump off the bleachers, Otis was not as good a shot as Shane... Besides, if Otis was sprinting to the truck with Zombies on his heels, do we think he'd keep holding onto the bag slowing him down? I'm certain Shane would have a death-grip on that bag. The speech he gave on protecting the group and his actions show it.
Old 11-29-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't tell if serious
Old 11-29-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Can't tell if serious
Reported
Old 11-29-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MOD NOTE:

I just deleted some posts containing personal attacks and referencing those attacks.

Attacking other posters is against forum rules. If someone says something you disagree with, you are free to disagree, but stop making these threads personal. Discuss the show, not each other.

Further off-topic posts will be removed and will result in thread closure. Posters who continue to attack others will face suspension of posting privileges.

It seems like the same shows are having issues every week. Let's keep this a positive area to discuss and debate TV shows. Thank you!

Old 11-29-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Good episode.

I hate you guys so much.
Old 11-29-11, 08:50 PM

I thought the season and finale was great. There was so much drama and tension that when the reveal came at the end, I had even forgotten about the girl. I would have liked for them to have made it more emotional by showing the mother/wife as a zombie and they're reaction as she was killed.

And why is everyone mentioning Tyreese? Is he gonna start coming out?
Old 11-29-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has he mentioned other than behind spoiler tags?
Old 11-29-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I thought the season and finale was great. There was so much drama and tension that when the reveal came at the end, I had even forgotten about the girl. I would have liked for them to have made it more emotional by showing the mother/wife as a zombie and they're reaction as she was killed.

And why is everyone mentioning Tyreese? Is he gonna start coming out?
That was brought up on the Talking Dead. The walker who's face was blown off and teeth exposed was Herschel's wife and they did cut to his reaction after that, it just wasn't mentioned in the show.
Old 11-29-11, 09:41 PM

What a crawling turd of a show compared to season one. I hope it picks up during the next half of the season.

Team Rick!
Old 11-29-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Pretty sure he meant Otis.
I don't think Shane viewed Otis as "innocent." Otis did shoot Carl.
Old 11-29-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I don't think that was Sophia... that clearly wasn't the same rainbow.
OK, fine ...
Old 11-29-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beesonosu
# of fans on Team T-dog = 0. He has to be the next to go, right? Probably no need for a spoiler, but...
Spoiler:
Tyreese would be so much better. However, I don't know if there's enough room for another alpha male within the current group dynamics.
The "T" in "T-Dog" stands for "Token Black Guy." How is he still alive?
Old 11-29-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Good episode.

I hate you guys so much.
Reported.......as the raddest comment in the thread.
Old 11-30-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Has he mentioned other than behind spoiler tags?
Yes, he has. Maybe not in this episode thread, but he has been mentioned several times in threads for this season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.