TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official Storage Wars Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

Originally Posted by Traxan
I talked to the manager of my storage facility. He said it takes months of repeated calls and letters, including certified letters, before a locker goes to auction. By law they have to make repeated and documented efforts to reach people.

I suspect many of the lockers for sale are simply people who died or their life changed so drastically they left town and left everything behind. I don't think it's a coincidence the show is shot in southern California and not, say, Iowa.
I think most of the lockers are going to be junk/garbage. If the owner is still alive and received notice that they pay up or the locker is going to auction, you can bet most will clean out the lockers of anything good before they leave to be auctioned. I'll bet it's also a cheap/free way to get rid of garbage/junk/debris before moving. Sign up for the free month rental, load it with garbage and then leave.

ETA: Can we change the title to Official Storage Wars Discussion please?
Every time I see this thread get bumped up, I dread clicking on it thinking Barry Weiss is sick/dead or something.
Old 12-19-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

Originally Posted by chowderhead

ETA: Can we change the title to Official Storage Wars Discussion please?
Every time I see this thread get bumped up, I dread clicking on it thinking Barry Weiss is sick/dead or something.
Well I tried changing it in my first post but that didn't do it. I guess a mod/admin will have to do it. I certainly would like that change.
Old 12-19-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Anybody watch Hardcore Pawn? It's like slowing down to look at a car accident. It's 100% trash TV, but it's so damn entertaining.
I tried really hard to enjoy that show but after watching it for a few weeks last year I just couldn't do it. Seeing the owner blatantly rip people off by pretending he's giving them "deals" and the overall demeanor of that whole family is deplorable.

The worst part is the customers though. Train wreck or not I can't watch people make asses of themselves like that.

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
The major thing I hate about Storage Wars is when the guys just pick up an item, "Oh that's $100 right there, that stuff over there's another $5-600..." Just the other night I watched an episode with Darryl finding an original XBOX system and his doofus son says it's worth $100. More like $10 bucks on eBay.

I was thinking the same thing! Their pricing is way off. He figure'd $300 for a Super Nintendo in another episode. I was like WTF where are you getting these prices. Since Barry doesn't buy to make a profit the only person that seems to actually know what they're doing is Dave. His consignment store was ridiculous.
Old 12-21-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I was thinking the same thing! Their pricing is way off. He figure'd $300 for a Super Nintendo in another episode. I was like WTF where are you getting these prices. Since Barry doesn't buy to make a profit the only person that seems to actually know what they're doing is Dave. His consignment store was ridiculous.
This is something that bothers the heck out of me -- ever since I was a kid trading baseball cards. My friends would always say "the price guide says that card is worth $xx!" My response was always, "will you pay me $xx for it?" Nobody ever paid book value ...

You can say it is worth $200 and put it on a shelf for sale for $200 ... but unless somebody pays $200 it isn't worth $200. Nonetheless, the show is offering up how much each person "made" long before that can ever be known. If I buy a storage unit containing fourteen paintings worth $1,000 each I haven't made $14,000 until I actually sell those paintings for $1,000 each.
Old 12-21-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I feel that, just like any balloon, this will bust and when it does occur people will be left scratching their heads, wondering how they lost so much money.
Yeah, I'm sure the popularity of this show has brought out a bunch of morons that think they can make an easy buck. On Auction Hunters, the guys say they lose money on 80% of the units. Plus, these items don't sell themselves.
Old 12-21-11, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, but Jarrod and Brandi found all those cigarette cases that sell for hundreds and thousands of dollars... Actually if they are antiques they could be worth $400. Hard to find many that are worth more.
Darrell bought the locker with the crap load of $15 tiles that look like the stuff Lowe's sells for $1. And the wood flooring, and the tile cutter, and on and on...
The ivory figurine was probably priced about right, depending on if Barry could nail down when it was carved.
Old 12-21-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by barelypure
Darrell bought the locker with the crap load of $15 tiles that look like the stuff Lowe's sells for $1.

If those tiles are indeed what he claimed them to be, they are quite expensive.
Old 12-21-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
This is something that bothers the heck out of me -- ever since I was a kid trading baseball cards. My friends would always say "the price guide says that card is worth $xx!" My response was always, "will you pay me $xx for it?" Nobody ever paid book value ...

You can say it is worth $200 and put it on a shelf for sale for $200 ... but unless somebody pays $200 it isn't worth $200. Nonetheless, the show is offering up how much each person "made" long before that can ever be known. If I buy a storage unit containing fourteen paintings worth $1,000 each I haven't made $14,000 until I actually sell those paintings for $1,000 each.
I look at it this way - these people are in the business of selling this kind of stuff every day. They are much more likely to have a good sense for what an item will sell for than a typical viewer.

It is much the same concept (for me) as Hollywood Treasure on SyFy. Joe Maddalena looks at an item, and tells a prospective client that it might go for X amount of money at auction. Once in a while he over- or underestimates an items value, but the majority of the time the items end up selling for what he estimates, plus or minus 5%. Oh, and his estimates are never what I think they would be. I almost always overestimate .
Old 12-21-11, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, the first episode of Texas was cringe-worthy. They even have the mullet-glasses-doctor dude talking like Barry. Gah ... Will give it one more and likely done.
Old 12-22-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn, Jared was a prick tonight. Brandi could have been hurt bad from those falling crates. I'm hoping that was an act.
Old 12-22-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn, Jared was a prick tonight. Brandi could have been hurt bad from those falling crates. I'm hoping that was an act.
Barry also got hit in the head by some falling furniture in one episode. I don't think that was faked, since the cameraman even set down the camera and went running over asking if he was okay.
Old 12-22-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Barry seems a little more accident-prone, the way he just grabs and tosses stuff out of the way to get to the mystery box in the back.

"That wasn't safe at all!"
Old 12-22-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they said something happened to her thumb from the falling crates.

I was watching the marathon A&E aired last night and it bled in to the Texas episodes after awhile. I could not believe how awful it was. The people on that show are so annoying. That guy with the glasses/mustache is definitely supposed to be the Barry of the show but he's just not likeable. Can't say I'm a fan of Bubba and his crew either. I turned the channel after the auctions started, the characters are just annoying.
Old 12-22-11, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I look at it this way - these people are in the business of selling this kind of stuff every day. They are much more likely to have a good sense for what an item will sell for than a typical viewer.

It is much the same concept (for me) as Hollywood Treasure on SyFy. Joe Maddalena looks at an item, and tells a prospective client that it might go for X amount of money at auction. Once in a while he over- or underestimates an items value, but the majority of the time the items end up selling for what he estimates, plus or minus 5%. Oh, and his estimates are never what I think they would be. I almost always overestimate .
But we have eBay now for those non-unique items. An Original Xbox does not sell for a "hundy". Nor does a NES sell for $10,000.
Old 12-23-11, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched about 5 min of the Texas version and turned it off. That woman sounds like she is talking without moving her tongue and it got annoying. It seems like they are just trying to have clashing characters instead of legit people. I'm sure it won't be long before we get SW: NYC.
Old 12-23-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
An Original Xbox does not sell for a "hundy". Nor does a NES sell for $10,000.
An NES did sell for over $10K, although it was likely one of the games that came with it (or more specifically the box for that game) that commanded that price.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/20...mes/index.html
A North Carolina woman was cleaning out her garage and found an old Nintendo and a handful of games, including [the ultra-rare game] Stadium Events. She put them up on eBay without high expectations and was amazed to see the bids steadily climb up to $13,105.

While the game itself is valuable, the winning bidder was most interested in the cardboard box it came in. Since most kids threw the box away after tearing open a new game, intact boxes for any game are really hard to come by, but especially so for Stadium Events. Empty Stadium Event boxes have been known to sell for $10,000 alone.

After hearing of the success of this eBay seller, a man in Kansas dug up a factory-sealed copy of the game that he thought was worthless... [it] sold for an amazing $41,300.
To be fair to the show, it showed a fair amount of skepticism about the projected price of the discovered NES, with Darrell almost immediately refuting it and the appraisal ultimately shooting it down.

The $100 Xbox is a fairer criticism of the show. They do take an awful lot of the estimated prices at face value. They also seem to use the top end of an appraised price (i.e. if an item is appraised at $3000-$4000, the show will calculate the value at $4000 for the total).

Personally, I'd be interested in a follow-up (either as a segment or possibly even as its own episode) to see what some of the items actually sold for. However, it seems the show has decided, probably for pacing, to just go with the estimated prices and move on to the next locker.
Old 12-23-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
But we have eBay now for those non-unique items. An Original Xbox does not sell for a "hundy". Nor does a NES sell for $10,000.
Well in the moron's defense (I say that cause I don't like him) he thought it was one either one of the prototype NES's or at least one of the first ones rolled off the line.

If you can prove its one of those particular ones, then yeah there's money behind it.
Old 12-23-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Well in the moron's defense (I say that cause I don't like him) he thought it was one either one of the prototype NES's or at least one of the first ones rolled off the line.

If you can prove its one of those particular ones, then yeah there's money behind it.
I don't think he ever suggested it was a prototype. The "prototype" for the NES was the Famicom, and the prototype for that was the AVS, which both looked very different from the original NES:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...never-released

He seemed to think is was one of the first runs of NES boxes, but I can't find any info that those are particularly rare/valuable. The eBay auction he referenced was most likely the one that had the rare game cartridge and box. Similarly, the Apple IIGS had a "WOZ limited edition" first run, but those systems don't really go for much more than a standard IIGS.

Some of the rarer Nintendo systems include the Nintendo M82, a store demo unit that worked like a jukebox for NES games:
http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/r...ntendo_systems

Even that is only selling for $1600 on eBay though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330642321420

A New-in-box NES is only selling for $300 (with no buyers):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180776932162

This guy is really optimistic and hopes to get $1000 for his new-in-box NES:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150586774837

As a bonus, I found this page featuring a prototype for the Super Famicom Playstation, the unreleased system that was a collaboration between Nintendo and Sony. When Nintendo backed out, Sony went forward with their own game system, changing the face of video gaming:
http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playsta...ami/index.html
Old 12-23-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Remind me when I go back in time to grab a couple of boxes for the Stadium Events game.
Old 12-23-11, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
An NES did sell for over $10K, although it was likely one of the games that came with it (or more specifically the box for that game) that commanded that price.
He thought because it was stamped 001 on the back (all Toaster-style NES' had that stamp...) it was the first. IIRC, he claimed he saw an eBay auction go for that much. True, because it came with a boxed Stadium Events (uber uber uber rare).

This happened again on another Storage show...maybe the TruTV one? The dumb dumb's thought the same thing.
Old 12-23-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Remind me when I go back in time to grab a couple of boxes for the Stadium Events game.
It was only sold at one department store but I don't think it actually even came out. Some copies were put out before the mat that was being made for it was canceled or something. There weren't that many in existence to begin with.
Old 12-23-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I think you guys are giving him credit ... I could be wrong, but I don't recall Mark Bilalo (or however it is spelled) making any of those comments ... he simply said it was an original NES and it could be worth $10,000. (I do remember something about the "001" stamp, but I thought that came later.)
Old 12-24-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I only remember him being sweaty and swarthy.
Old 12-24-11, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He did mention the stamp. I know because I checked mine and mine has the number he mentioned.
Old 12-24-11, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a Stadium Events on ebay right now going for $22,000+ with a day and a half left.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.