DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC Mid-season schedule (2011 - 2012) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/596396-nbc-mid-season-schedule-2011-2012-a.html)

RichC2 11-14-11 04:58 PM

NBC Mid-season schedule (2011 - 2012)

Originally Posted by Deadline
NBC today announced its new mid-season 2012 schedule which features the premieres of four new series in “Smash” (February 6), “The Firm” (two-hour premiere January 8, time slot premiere January 12), “Fashion Star” (March 13) and “Are You There, Chelsea?” (January 11). The new lineup also includes the return of “The Voice,” “30 Rock,” “The Celebrity Apprentice” and “Who Do You Think You Are?”

In addition, there are day and time period changes for “Whitney,” “Up All Night,” “Rock Center with Brian Williams” and “Harry’s Law.”

Following are night-by-night details:

Mondays:

Last spring’s hit vocal competition series “The Voice” returns even louder with an hour-long season debut following Super Bowl XLVI on Sunday, February 5 (10-11 p.m. ET, time approximate) and then resumes in its regular day and time on Monday, February 6 (8-10 p.m. ET). Following “The Voice” is the much-anticipated musical drama “Smash” which premieres Monday, February 6 (10-11 p.m. ET).

Tuesdays:

“Fashion Star” – the new reality competition series hosted and executive-produced by Elle Macpherson – will premiere with a two-hour episode on Tuesday, March 13 (9-11 p.m. ET) and resume on Tuesday, March 20 (10-11 p.m. ET). “The Biggest Loser” will open a new edition on Tuesday, January 3 (8-10 p.m. ET) followed by “Parenthood” (10-11 p.m. ET) which continues through its season finale on February 28.

Wednesdays:

The freshman comedy “Whitney” (8-8:30 p.m. ET) moves into a new day and time beginning January 11 followed by the series debut of the new comedy “Are You There, Chelsea?” (8:30-9 p.m. ET) on January 11. “Rock Center with Brian Williams” (9-10 p.m. ET) also joins the Wednesday lineup starting February 8. “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” remains at 10-11 p.m. (ET).

Thursdays:

The new drama “The Firm” moves into the Thursday lineup (10-11 p.m. ET) beginning January 12 following its two-hour premiere the previous Sunday (January from 9-11 p.m. ET. The first-season comedy “Up All Night” will also move to Thursday nights at 9:30 p.m. (ET) on January 12 which is also the night that multiple Emmy Award-winning “30 Rock” returns for its season debut (8-8:30 p.m. ET). “Parks and Recreation” (8:30-9 p.m. ET) and the Emmy-winning “The Office” (9-9:30 p.m. ET) remain in the same time periods.

Fridays:

The returning series “Who Do You Think You Are?” makes its season debut on February 3 (8-9 p.m. ET). “Chuck” will have its two-hour series finale on January 27th (8-10 p.m. ET). “Grimm” (9-10 p.m. ET) and “Dateline NBC” (10-11 p.m. ET) remain in the respective time periods.

Sundays:

“The Celebrity Apprentice” returns on Sunday, February 12 (9-11 p.m. ET). “Dateline NBC” begins on Sundays (7-9 p.m. ET), on January 8. “Harry’s Law” moves to the 8-9 p.m. (ET) time period on March 4 and “Dateline NBC” will return to 7-8 p.m. (ET) on March 4.

The premieres of the new January-March program schedule follow in a grid (all times ET); new series are capitalized.

MONDAYS

8-10 p.m. — “The Voice” (season premiere Sunday, February 5; series resumes February 6)

10-11 p.m. – “SMASH” (beginning February 6)

TUESDAYS

8-10 p.m. — “The Biggest Loser” (beginning January 3)

10-11 p.m. – “Parenthood” (through February 28)

10-11 p.m. – “FASHION STAR” (beginning Tuesday, March 13, 9-11 p.m. ET with two-hour premiere; one-hour broadcasts resume March 20)

WEDNESDAYS

8-8:30 p.m. – “Whitney” (beginning January 11)

8:30-9 p.m. – “ARE YOU THERE, CHELSEA?” (beginning January 11)

9-10 p.m. – “Rock Center with Brian Williams” (beginning February

10-11 p.m. – “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”

THURSDAYS

8-8:30 p.m. – “30 Rock” (beginning January 12)

8:30-9 p.m. – “Parks and Recreation”

9-9:30 p.m. – “The Office”

9:30-10 p.m. – “Up All Night” (beginning January 12)

10-11 p.m. – “THE FIRM” (two-hour premiere Sunday January 8; Thursday time period premiere January 12)

FRIDAYS

8-9 p.m. – “Who Do You Think You Are?” (beginning February 3)

9-10 p.m. – “Grimm”

10-11 p.m. – “Dateline NBC”

SATURDAYS

8-9 p.m. – “Harry’s Law” (encore broadcasts)

9-10 — “THE FIRM” (encore broadcasts)

10-11 p.m. – “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” (encore broadcasts)

SUNDAYS

7-9 p.m. – “Dateline NBC” (beginning January

8-9 p.m. – “Harry’s Law” (beginning March 4)

9-11 p.m. – “The Celebrity Apprentice” (beginning February 12)

Where the fuck is Community?

MFRONE 11-14-11 05:10 PM

Re: NBC Mid-season schedule (2011 - 2012)

Community got pulled, looks like it's all over.

Sucks that one of the best comedies over the past 3 years gets the ax while a show like Whitney is still on the air.

Jam Master Jay 11-14-11 05:12 PM

Looks like Community is done...as much as I enjoyed that show the past couple seasons I hadn't even bothered to watch any of this latest season...lost interest pretty fast.

RichC2 11-14-11 05:16 PM

It'll probably get moved to Wednesdays when one of those shows gets canned. Still my favorite NBC show.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qOc7jUyv4N...4_23.13.35.png

He calls it a short hiatus, but the chance of a 4th season remain painfully low.

chowderhead 11-14-11 05:16 PM

hmmm. Awake has gone on hiatus from production for 4 weeks ...
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment..._of_awake.html
WTF.
Bad sign it isn't even on the schedule considering how weak NBC is. I guess that leaves more room for Prime Suspect repeats.

MFRONE 11-14-11 05:24 PM

"It will be off air for only a brief time."

Okay, if this was really the case why did NBC make no mention of it returning soon in the press release?

RichC2 11-14-11 05:25 PM

The press release was purely for the new schedule -- which it's not on, it'll likely be a replacement for one of their other shows (right now, Chelsea show or Rock Center look like likely candidates).

clckworang 11-14-11 05:31 PM

I do agree with moving Up All Night to Thursdays. It's a much better fit for that night than Whitney. I don't know why it didn't start that way to begin with. Of course, I didn't want to see Community taken off the Thursday schedule for that to happen.

Al Padrino 11-14-11 05:40 PM

I loved the first season of Community and thought it was the best offering of NBC's Thursday Night lineup that year. They resorted to themed episodes too frequently during Season 2, though, and I think it hurt the quality. It seems like they're easing up on that a bit in Season 3, but the series has been hit or miss for a while.

DJariya 11-14-11 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 11004585)
hmmm. Awake has gone on hiatus from production for 4 weeks ...
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment..._of_awake.html
WTF.
Bad sign it isn't even on the schedule considering how weak NBC is. I guess that leaves more room for Prime Suspect repeats.

It's been assumed that Awake will take over Parenthood's timeslot on Tuesday at 10pm since Parenthood got a shorter season order (18)

The last I read, Howard Gordon said Awake is on scheduled production-wise to air midseason without any problems. They are only shooting 12 episodes and have almost completed half their order.

DJariya 11-14-11 06:02 PM

And really? Smash on Mondays at 10pm against Hawaii Five-0 and Castle.

That is apparently one of NBC's most high profile midseason shows with Spielberg producing it. That is a death slot for NBC. With it being a musical themed show like Glee, they should have made it an 8pm show. I guess they are hoping have The Voice as a lead-in will give it some "I forgot to change the channel" viewers.

Looks like Prime Suspect is as good as cancelled. The Firm is in a good position as it's replacement since NBC is only paying a very small licensing fee to Sony and the show has been sold to alot of international territories. It also has a guaranteed 22 episode order commitment.

DJariya 11-14-11 06:05 PM

According to an updated story on Deadline, Harry's Law is getting a full 22 episode order. Also, Grimm is expected to get a full season order since both are on the midseason schedule.

conscience 11-14-11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11004639)
It's been assumed that Awake will take over Parenthood's timeslot on Tuesday at 10pm since Parenthood got a shorter season order (18)

The last I read, Howard Gordon said Awake is on scheduled production-wise to air midseason without any problems. They are only shooting 12 episodes and have almost completed half their order.

But according to the schedule in the OP, The Fashion Star is taking over Parenthood's slot.

tommyp007 11-14-11 07:57 PM

Community is my wife and my favorite show. If it's gone...I'm flying to NY and burning down 30 Rock, then to LA and torch the studios there too.

Michael Corvin 11-14-11 08:16 PM

So with Chuck and Community circling the drain, it looks like I'll have exactly 1 show(Office) to watch on NBC. I can't fault NBC though. They stuck with them, it's the moronic public that eat up shit like Mike & Molly instead of good shows.

Originally Posted by Al Padrino (Post 11004614)
I loved the first season of Community and thought it was the best offering of NBC's Thursday Night lineup that year. They resorted to themed episodes too frequently during Season 2, though, and I think it hurt the quality. It seems like they're easing up on that a bit in Season 3, but the series has been hit or miss for a while.

Season 1 had a 6 episode stretch(14-20 maybe) that was nothing but movie parodies, so it wasn't a season 2 problem.

PopcornTreeCt 11-14-11 08:37 PM

Community isn't nearly as good as Parks & Recreation but I'm sad that it will be gone.

My Other Self 11-14-11 08:44 PM

I stopped watching The Office and Law & Order: SVU this season. The only show I had left with Community. It's still the best show on NBC. That will be sad if it gets the axe.

SpanishTechno 11-14-11 08:55 PM

I'll be sad if Community goes but NBC definitely gave it a chance and we've probably seen the show's peak already, it would have been much more tragic if the show was cancelled before the 2nd season.

Gizmo 11-14-11 09:48 PM

NBC will likely give Community a 4th Season simply because Sony wants it for syndication numbers. It'll be dirt cheap for NBC, and added filler is never a bad idea.

Parenthood is baffling. One of the few dramas that gets a 2.0+ each week, and it only gets an 18 episode Season, while other shows get less...and get full Seasons.

Grimm is likely dead on any other night, as-is Harry's Law which has people bailing as the show was retooled to be shit.

riley_dude 11-14-11 10:33 PM

Looking forward to Smash but the time slot is horrible.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

wirefan 11-14-11 11:07 PM

Waiting for the 10pm Leno show to make a comeback.

It's like they are just pumping in reality shows and cheap production shows to fill time. 21 hours of primetime, roughly a third of it is Biggest Loser/Apprentice/Voice, a couple of news type programs (Williams show and Dateline) and 3 hours of encores? That's 1/2 of NBC's primetime programming (11 of 21 hours).

Al Padrino 11-15-11 12:12 AM

Surprised to see so many people identifying Community as the only NBC show they watch. Parks and Recreation is probably one of the best shows, comedy or otherwise, on television right now.

I agree we've probably already seen the apex of Community. I've always associated it with Arrested Development in how the writers regularly utilized spurts of rapid-fire banter that contained more punchlines than full episodes of most other sitcoms. That's a tough act to keep.

I think Community has a better shot now of attaining cult status in years to come rather than if NBC had let it continue its inevitable drop-off in quality with additional seasons.

TheKing 11-15-11 12:33 AM

Being off the air is not the worst thing that could happen to Community. The show has been getting slaughtered by The Big Bang Theory since last season, and it really hasn't gotten any better. They're making 22 episodes, and at this point only 10 will air before this change takes place. When it resurfaces, hopefully it'll be in a better, more deserving time slot.

Whitney being moved to Wednesday is a sign that NBC has lost faith in the show, or finally realizes how bad it really is. They want to take a strong lead-in away from the show and see if they still draw an audience. Up All Night is the opposite, getting a potential ratings boost to help its numbers. Whitney is likely a 1 season and done show, Up All Night now has a shot at renewal.

30 Rock is getting screwed by having to come back after a long layoff against a show that will crush it. It has to at least do better than Community, or that show might be the odd one out next season.

Overall, it looks like I'll be watching less of NBC, with the end of Chuck, the early end of Parenthood, and moving Harry's Law up against Once Upon A Time and The Simpsons. Wednesday is a real mess, with comedies, news, and then a drama?

TheKing 11-15-11 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino (Post 11005061)
Surprised to see so many people identifying Community as the only NBC show they watch. Parks and Recreation is probably one of the best shows, comedy or otherwise, on television right now.

I agree we've probably already seen the apex of Community. I've always associated it with Arrested Development in how the writers regularly utilized spurts of rapid-fire banter that contained more punchlines than full episodes of most other sitcoms. That's a tough act to keep.

I think Community has a better shot now of attaining cult status in years to come rather than if NBC had let it continue its inevitable drop-off in quality with additional seasons.

Ummmmm who cares about cult status? You know what cult status really is? It's people remembering a good show that got canceled because not enough people watched it.

I'd have much rather had a long run for Arrested Development than talk about how the show shouldn't have been cancelled. Same thing for Community.

Cult status has very little to do with a drop off in quality either. Most cult shows don't get that chance as they are taken away too soon. If they stick around, they become mainstream.

Al Padrino 11-15-11 01:07 AM

I'm not suggesting that this is a silver lining for Community fans, just that we won't get a chance to see this show become a pale imitation of what it was at its peak. The cancellation of Community brings me no joy, but it's already showing several chinks in the armor a fraction of the way into its third season. It went from a can't-miss show during its first season to a very good show that I always made sure to eventually see during its second year to a show I barely care about in its third season.

It's still a good show, but it's already become redundant with so many episodes being dedicated to some huge blowup within the group that is resolved by show's end. Yeah, it'll suck that it's not on at all since it's still a better series than a lot of the other sitcoms presently on TV. I'm not terribly interested, however, in watching this turn into another Office situation where they drag it on and on.