Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Old 11-15-11, 07:10 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This season is just rockin'. Sooo much better than last year's.
Wow, I have the opposite view and think last season was better and also think that, as a whole, Season Five was one of the best seasons of the show. (Note that I marathon-ed it and watched the entire season in less than a week.)

However this current season is only half over, so it could get a lot better in the 2nd half and I may change my mind if it does. But for now, I rate it down with Season Three as good, but not the show at its best.
Old 11-15-11, 07:19 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,537
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

So now we have two living people who know Dexter's secret: Lumen and Jonah. I wonder if either will make a return appearance in a future season.
Old 11-15-11, 07:33 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I think this episode really supports the view that Gellar isn't real.

The victim that was let go gave an explanation that clearly could've been just one person doing stuff to her (ex. "The Professor" never actually talked to her in the explanation and she just assumed it was Gellar that stepped on her back).

Also, Brian as Dexter's Dark Passenger did a lot of stuff he shouldn't have been able to do as an imaginary person, like eat food and put the pitchfolk in the motel guy (which then quickly switched views to show that it was really Dexter doing it). I think that was to expand within the show what a Dark Passenger can do for the viewers, so that when later it comes out that Gellar is not real, the audience won't claim that the show cheated.
Old 11-15-11, 08:37 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I wouldn't claim the show cheated anyway since when you're dealing with seeing things through the viewpoint of a mentally deranged character, you can hardly take anything as proof. Did you guys watch Fight Club? The style is set. When it comes to Hanks, we can only believe what others perceive. The lady heard a 2nd voice while blindfolded. It may or may not still have been Hanks.
Old 11-15-11, 11:40 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
I think this episode really supports the view that Gellar isn't real.

The victim that was let go gave an explanation that clearly could've been just one person doing stuff to her (ex. "The Professor" never actually talked to her in the explanation and she just assumed it was Gellar that stepped on her back).

Also, Brian as Dexter's Dark Passenger did a lot of stuff he shouldn't have been able to do as an imaginary person, like eat food and put the pitchfolk in the motel guy (which then quickly switched views to show that it was really Dexter doing it). I think that was to expand within the show what a Dark Passenger can do for the viewers, so that when later it comes out that Gellar is not real, the audience won't claim that the show cheated.
Exactly. I'm curious about the writers dropping these obvious hints about Gellar not being real, makes me sorta hope that he is real.
Old 11-15-11, 12:29 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Wow, I have the opposite view and think last season was better and also think that, as a whole, Season Five was one of the best seasons of the show. (Note that I marathon-ed it and watched the entire season in less than a week.)

However this current season is only half over, so it could get a lot better in the 2nd half and I may change my mind if it does. But for now, I rate it down with Season Three as good, but not the show at its best.
Last year's was very slow until the Big Bad appeared - in episode eight. That was way too long to draw things out.

The whole Quinn trying to find Kyle Butler plot was brutal too. And the Yet Another Angel/LaGuerta Love Plot. Gak.
Old 11-15-11, 12:43 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,623
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Wow, I have the opposite view and think last season was better and also think that, as a whole, Season Five was one of the best seasons of the show. (Note that I marathon-ed it and watched the entire season in less than a week.)
+1

I'm not digging this season. I liked the brother sam storyline, but other than that the personal connection to Dexter is missing. S1-4 had Rita and the kids. S5 had Lumen. S6 Dexter is just roaming around. And the villain(s) is(are) deranged mental cases and not scary or very interesting.
Old 11-15-11, 12:48 PM
  #33  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I thought this episode was terrible. Certainly the worst of the season, possibly for the whole series run.
Old 11-15-11, 01:42 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,622
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I am finally caught up with all of this season's episodes. What a great year this is.

Way better than last season.
Old 11-15-11, 03:55 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I'm convinced he isn't real (I was the first to bring that up so where's my cookie?). As mentioned earlier they clearly went out of their way to show Brian "doing things" that were actually being done by Dexter. That and the subtle Psycho homage convince me. Remember, we heard Norman and his mother talking in two distinct voices.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 11-15-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 05:18 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I wouldn't claim the show cheated anyway since when you're dealing with seeing things through the viewpoint of a mentally deranged character, you can hardly take anything as proof. Did you guys watch Fight Club? The style is set. When it comes to Hanks, we can only believe what others perceive. The lady heard a 2nd voice while blindfolded. It may or may not still have been Hanks.
Within the established framework of the show over the previous 5 seasons, what Dexter's Dark Passenger in the form of Harry could do was set to be very limited. He just appeared to Dexter standing or sitting nearby, but didn't pick up items or eat or really do anything besides talk to Dexter. That was established as a part of the rules of the show, so if Harry all of a sudden started acting differently than previous seasons, it would have violated these rules and been basically "cheating" by the show to suddenly change things like that.

So to be able to expand this without cheating, the show changed the appearance of the Dark Passenger for this episode to Brian, his brother, and let him behave differently and interact with the environment more. This expanded the role of what a Dark Passenger can do within the show by simply adding to the show's rules that a different persona can behave differently. And that opens it up for Gellar to be more interactive without the show breaking its established rules ("cheating") when it's eventually revealed that Gellar is dead and just imagined by Travis as a very active persona.
Old 11-15-11, 05:29 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Last year's was very slow until the Big Bad appeared - in episode eight. That was way too long to draw things out.

The whole Quinn trying to find Kyle Butler plot was brutal too. And the Yet Another Angel/LaGuerta Love Plot. Gak.
Maybe marathoning the season made it better, but what I really liked about last season was how the Lumen storyline developed. I thought the whole "helping a victim get vengeance" angle was a nice twist on the show's season-long arc structure.

(I actually even liked it a little better than Season Four simply because, as great as Trinity was, I got annoyed at how too much of the plotting was dependent on Dexter messing things up again and again. Without Dexter's constant mistakes, Season Four would've fallen apart.)
Old 11-15-11, 06:04 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Within the established framework of the show over the previous 5 seasons, what Dexter's Dark Passenger in the form of Harry could do was set to be very limited. He just appeared to Dexter standing or sitting nearby, but didn't pick up items or eat or really do anything besides talk to Dexter. That was established as a part of the rules of the show, so if Harry all of a sudden started acting differently than previous seasons, it would have violated these rules and been basically "cheating" by the show to suddenly change things like that.

So to be able to expand this without cheating, the show changed the appearance of the Dark Passenger for this episode to Brian, his brother, and let him behave differently and interact with the environment more. This expanded the role of what a Dark Passenger can do within the show by simply adding to the show's rules that a different persona can behave differently. And that opens it up for Gellar to be more interactive without the show breaking its established rules ("cheating") when it's eventually revealed that Gellar is dead and just imagined by Travis as a very active persona.
The problem with this is that Harry (or Brian) is NOT the Dark Passenger. The Dark Passenger is Dexter's urge to kill. That little voice in his mind urging him on. Harry is sort of Dexter's conscience. Brian was his inner desire to let go of Harry's rules and just kill at will.
Old 11-15-11, 06:38 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,243
Received 1,259 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I didn't know there were hard-and-fast rules for imaginary friends.
Old 11-15-11, 07:01 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

They seemed to make a special point of showing Dexter take the pen from the motel with the name of the city on it, and also Jonah's neighbor looking at Dexter's face. I wonder if these things will come into play later.
Old 11-15-11, 07:38 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,034
Received 339 Likes on 239 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
So now we have two living people who know Dexter's secret: Lumen and Jonah. I wonder if either will make a return appearance in a future season.
I don't think Jonah knows about Dexter's dark side though. He knows that he pretended to be Kyle Butler in order to catch Trinity, but he doesn't know that Dexter's a serial killer.
Old 11-15-11, 08:29 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
The problem with this is that Harry (or Brian) is NOT the Dark Passenger. The Dark Passenger is Dexter's urge to kill. That little voice in his mind urging him on. Harry is sort of Dexter's conscience. Brian was his inner desire to let go of Harry's rules and just kill at will.
Yeah, I can see that interpretation but a flaw I see with it is psychopaths, like Dexter, don't have consciences (that's why they are called psychopaths). Instead, I see the imaginary Harry as Dexter's Dark Passenger as filtered through the Code of Harry, which is why he appears as Harry. Taking away that Code of Harry Filter turned the Dark Passenger into Brian, who's constant urgings to kill are basically what it would be without Harry's strong influence in raising Dexter.

I guess the one that for sure though is the Dark Passenger definitely is NOT...
Spoiler:

...the pagan god Moloch! Seeing that's what it is in the book series makes me so glad the show deviated drastically from the books early on.
Old 11-15-11, 08:58 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Within the established framework of the show over the previous 5 seasons, what Dexter's Dark Passenger in the form of Harry could do was set to be very limited.
To me, this isn't the same as Batman suddenly having the ability to fly. That would violate the essence of who Batman is (a human being, Bruce Wayne, who through gagdetry and superme physical dedication, becomes slightly more than human). This is more like someone watching someone else eat Rasin Nut Bran for breakfast in the morning, then complaining when the person decides to have Frosted Flakes one morning because it breaks the established rules.

At least in Dexter's case, these "people" do not exist. They are simply expressions of his own psychosis. So just like I may behave one way 90% of my life, and suddenly behave a different way after, say, losing a job, so too can Dexter have slight variations in his behavior. When he's trying to fit in, we get Harry. When he's tired of fitting in, we get Brian. But they're all aspects of Dexter. It isn't cheating to show differences. I agree that we've never seen Harry interact with things before (that I can recall), but I call seeing Brian in a more active role is showing a change, not a cheat. Now that he has put Brian aside (at least for now), it'll go back to the way it was.

It also isn't cheating that we don't know what's going on with the Professor. They simply don't want us to know yet. They don't owe it to us to let us know yet.
Old 11-15-11, 09:42 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
To me, this isn't the same as Batman suddenly having the ability to fly. That would violate the essence of who Batman is (a human being, Bruce Wayne, who through gagdetry and superme physical dedication, becomes slightly more than human). This is more like someone watching someone else eat Rasin Nut Bran for breakfast in the morning, then complaining when the person decides to have Frosted Flakes one morning because it breaks the established rules.
I'm just saying in the narrative conventions of a series, rules are essentially established within the framework of the story and breaking them tends to be looked down upon by fans. That's why something like R2-D2 all of a sudden having jet packs pissed a lot of people off, because it violated what had been previously established. The makers of this series know that they have established certain rules, so they have to expand them a bit for this particular season to work without pissing off a lot of people. And they used Brian in this last episode to expand the rules in a logically consistent way so that the later reveal that Gellar is dead won't piss off the fans. Whether something is real or imaginary within fiction, the internal rules need to be consistent to avoid possibly driving away the audience.
Old 11-15-11, 09:53 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,390
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

I have another thing I'm predicting about this season: I think that Gellar is not only dead but that it's possible...
Spoiler:

Travis killed him on Gellar's own orders. And, if so, I think Travis probably crucified Gellar on a cross as the initial sacrifice in their elaborate religious Doomsday plan.



(But, then again, I could be wrong.)
Old 11-15-11, 10:12 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,337
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
I have another thing I'm predicting about this season: I think that Gellar is not only dead but that it's possible...
Spoiler:

Travis killed him on Gellar's own orders. And, if so, I think Travis probably crucified Gellar on a cross as the initial sacrifice in their elaborate religious Doomsday plan.



(But, then again, I could be wrong.)
I was thinking this exact same thing, minus the crucification, before I read your post. if Gellar is dead then it is because he wanted to be and maybe Travis is now realizing that he bit off more than he can chew. However, has anyone made any notion that Gellar hasn't been seen in awhile in the real world?
Old 11-16-11, 06:51 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,981
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
. I agree that we've never seen Harry interact with things before (that I can recall.
We saw Harry pick up one of Harrison's toys earlier this season.
Old 11-16-11, 07:34 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,420
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
However, has anyone made any notion that Gellar hasn't been seen in awhile in the real world?
Angel mentioned how he's gone "underground" for the last 3 years.
Old 11-16-11, 08:56 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,731
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
It also isn't cheating that we don't know what's going on with the Professor. They simply don't want us to know yet. They don't owe it to us to let us know yet.
If he's not real it is however cheating to show the professor doing stuff when Travis isn't there. And they've done that at least twice.
If he's imaginary he should never be in a scene where Travis isn't.
Old 11-16-11, 12:51 PM
  #50  
FuQ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter--Season 6, Episode 7: "Nebraska"

He has that pen in his pocket. You know Debra will find it. He will have to explain himself.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.