Old 11-06-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "Peg of Old" -- 11/06/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Margaret has a family reunion; Owen gets even with a rival; Van Alden recognizes the hierarchy of the law; Jimmy wonders how a decision will affect the future.

Episode 7 of 12

Preview:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1216798"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 19 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1216798%26filter%3Dboardwalk-empire%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1216798" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 19 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1216798%26filter%3Dboardwalk-empire%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 11-06-11, 10:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Peg of Old" -- 11/06/11

Probably my favorite episode of the season.

Another one of Lucky's plans blows up with Van Alden turning over his evidence to the ADA.

Will be interesting to see how Nucky responds to the attempted hit.
Old 11-06-11, 10:34 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Loved Van Alden's reaction to the crying baby as "an extremely penetrating sound." Brutal killing by Owen.
Old 11-06-11, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy shit, man ... that thing with the fingers. This show just keeps upping the ante.
Old 11-07-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Yeah, the fingers were a shocker (yeah, yeah, I see the reference). Pretty cool scene.

I'm loving this show!
Old 11-07-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the middle of something while watching so I missed it, but what did Lucy leave for Van Alden on the phonograph?
Old 11-07-11, 01:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

A dirty diaper and the cover of that script her friend brought her a few episodes ago.
Old 11-07-11, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For someone who prides himself on his ability to read and manipulate people, Nucky really misplayed it with Van Alden. Now that the prosecutor has Van Alden's file and testimony, Nucky's case just got 10x worse.

Jimmy's mother might be the most cold and ruthless person on the show.
Old 11-07-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
A dirty diaper and the cover of that script her friend brought her a few episodes ago.
Mmm, yummy. Thanks.

Originally Posted by thrush
Jimmy's mother might be the most cold and ruthless person on the show.
Definitely. She would fuck and/or kill anyone in her way.

By the way, this episode had Jack Dempsey hyping his fight against Georges Carpentier. In case you were interested, Dempsey ko'ed Carpentier in the 4th round.
Old 11-07-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

OK, I never notice notice things like this but I thought the outfit that Margaret was wearing was just incredibly beautiful. It really highlighted the difference in position between her and her other family.
Old 11-07-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just noticed my dvr has a new episode set to record tonight. The episode title is "Battle of the Century." I looked it up and that's episode 9.

I'm confused...
Old 11-07-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weird, me too.
Old 11-08-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess Jimmy's fate is sealed, so far as Nucky is concerned. There's no question in Nucky's eyes that Jimmy was responsible for the attempted hit. No turning back now.

That Irish Mick (forgot his name - Nucky's bodyguard) got his hands not in just one, but two honey jars! Not only is he screwing that gorgeous maid, but now he's screwing his boss's old lady! Oh, and that reference Margaret made to her brother, about her not being "that American" when he offered her a smoke - well, after screwing the Mick, she's even more American than her brother is. lol. My eyebrows went skyhigh when Margaret told the Mick to bring the luggage upstairs...even I could take a hint!

I take it this is Year 1921...very early in the game. I wonder if each season will go "one-year-at-a-time," or if time will jump between seasons.
Old 11-08-11, 10:23 AM

That timeframe fits with the fight noted earlier in the thread.
Old 11-08-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Lucky" Luciano (who wasn't named that until after he became disfigured in an assassination attempt years later) is still portrayed as "small-time," as well as Meyer Lansky and Al Capone (when does Bugsy Siegel make an appearance?), so unless this series intends to stay on the air for 20 years (which I wouldn't mind), I'd say they're gonna have to skip some years between seasons in order to get to the juice of these mobsters. Arnold Rothstein doesn't get assassinated until 1927, so he'll be around awhile, and when gunfights occur that involve Luciano and the rest, you know they ain't getting killed because I don't think this series would fuck with these composite realities.

Will this show last 15 to 20 years, you think?! Will we see the now handsome Charlie Luciano get disfigured (he got a droopy eyelid from his thrashing) in later seasons? Will we see him getting arrested for being the leader of a Prostitution Ring - for that matter, will we see Thomas Dewey, the man who put Luciano behind bars, then exiled to Italy during the 1940s? Whoo-boy!
Old 11-08-11, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
For someone who prides himself on his ability to read and manipulate people, Nucky really misplayed it with Van Alden. Now that the prosecutor has Van Alden's file and testimony, Nucky's case just got 10x worse.
I think he gave up the papers to get closer to the case figuring it won't help them much because it didn't do him much good in nailing Nucky. I think Van has pretty much turned, he's been screwed from his job, lost his wife and now left with a baby.
Old 11-08-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
...when does Bugsy Siegel make an appearance?!
The general thinking is that he's the smart-mouthed lackey that keeps popping into Lansky's office. I believe he's even been addressed as Benjamin.
Old 11-08-11, 08:42 PM
Suspended

I thought it was pretty clear that crazy Benny is Bugsy Siegel.
Old 11-09-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
The kid from Rescue Me, right?
Old 11-09-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The guy who makes those weird noises, like when he greeted Jimmy at the door, and after Crazy Benny left, Jimmy asked, "what was that?"

I never read or heard the nickname 'crazy benny,' and never heard about Bugsy Siegel being a weird-duck.

Isn't it possible that this is a different Benny, since he was never properly introduced as "Benjamin Siegel?"
Old 11-09-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What exactly was Jimmy's point in saying those "last words" to Nucky? What was the point? To clear Jimmy's conscience? And what were the exact words? "Right or wrong something something something."
Old 11-09-11, 08:00 AM
Suspended

I never read or heard the nickname 'crazy benny,' and never heard about Bugsy Siegel being a weird-duck.
I never heard the nickname "Crazy Benny" either, but Siegel being weird? That's how he got the nickname Bugsy

Anyway, the character is clearly a young Bugsy Siegel:

Exclusive: Boardwalk Casts 'Bugsy' Siegel
Matt Webb Mitovich

Boardwalk Empire has decided it is time to meet the lad who will one day become the notorious gangster known as “Bugsy” Siegel.

Filling that recurring role when the acclaimed HBO series launches its second season will be Michael Zegen, TVLine has learned exclusively. Zegen will be familiar to Rescue Me fans for playing Tommy’s godson, Damien Keefe (ergo the firefighter garb in the picture above).

Of course, Zegen’s character — who is described as “a tough, smart urban kid… as aspiring Jewish gangster” — will go by the name of “Benny,” seeing as “Bugsy” didn’t become a commonly (and not affectionately) used nickname for crime king Benjamin Siegel until the late 1930s.
http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/boardw...-bugsy-siegel/
Old 11-09-11, 08:02 AM
Suspended

What exactly was Jimmy's point in saying those "last words" to Nucky? What was the point? To clear Jimmy's conscience? And what were the exact words? "Right or wrong something something something."
“It doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong. You just have to make a decision.”
Old 11-09-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never heard the nickname "Crazy Benny" either, but Siegel being weird? That's how he got the nickname Bugsy
Well, I'll be! Thank Heaven for the Internet.

I always thought the nickname "Bugsy" was due to Benny being quick to murder someone without thinking twice about it. For his quick violence. I didn't think it was due to odd-ball behavior. Something the history books never told you about (and I've read a few about Siegel).
Old 11-09-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

“It doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong. You just have to make a decision.”
Nucky is not known for murder (at least, not on this show - maybe the real Nucky had his hands dirty in this regard), so I don't know how he would go about his business now, knowing people are out to kill him. They're not happy enough to wait until he goes to prison, they want him out of the picture now. Nucky knows this, he's gotta prepare, and he's got to clean up his own backyard (literally, since he considers Atlantic City his private property).

Will he even remember what Jimmy said to him? Things happened so fast. Even if he did remember, would it matter to Nucky? Will it come out that it was based on his own brother's suggestion to just whack him? Doubtful - although Nucky does (or did) communicate on a one-on-one with both Capone and Luciano, so maybe they might mention it.

This is a great season. I wonder how the rest of the seasons will compare. A lot of people loved season 2 of "The Sopranos," but then they said the show meandered along (I was not one of those people).

I also notice that people on this board aren't giving Van Alden a lot of shit this season. Last season, everyone was griping that Van Alden was the weak link to this show. Now, it doesn't seem that people dislike the character as much. Guess that's a good thing for Michael Shannon.

I wonder if, based on the popularity of this show, the name Enoch will come back into fashion, to give the names Jacob and Michael a run for their money in the upcoming years. LOL - yeah, right!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.