Old 11-06-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Homeland -- "The Good Soldier" -- 11/06/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Reeling after losing key players in Nazir's plot against America, the CIA orders polygraphs on everyone who came in contact with them, including Brody, which Carrie sees as an opportunity to finally learn the truth.

Episode 6 of 12

Preview:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1247199647001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sho.com%2Fsite%2Fhomeland%2Fvideo.sho%3Fbcpid%3D951614011001%26bclid%3D 1204309114001%26bctid%3D1247199647001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1247199647001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sho.com%2Fsite%2Fhomeland%2Fvideo.sho%3Fbcpid%3D951614011001%26bclid%3D 1204309114001%26bctid%3D1247199647001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 11-06-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Homeland -- "The Good Soldier" -- 11/06/11

I still have no real idea where they are taking this. Which is a good thing. Did both saul & estes blip on the polygraph?
Old 11-06-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another fantastic episode. I think the reason this show is so intense is because we don't know what the threat is. Or who is behind it. Or if there even is a threat... Though we did learn that the middle eastern professor, or his wife, obviously is involved with something that people don't want anyone to know about.
Can't wait for next week!
Old 11-06-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a mole inside CTU!

Another good ep. I thought they might be killing it when Carrie banged Brody but they played it off well.
Old 11-07-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand how Carrie getting drunk, revealing to Brody the subject of the Polygraph and having sex with him helps her investigation. Unless she just screwed up.

Originally Posted by Dave99
Did both saul & estes blip on the polygraph?
Saul did when he was asked him about passing the razor. He then abruptly left. The next day he came back and passed. Certainly is fishy.
Old 11-07-11, 01:06 AM

Wow. Great TV. Why oh why did I watch the previews for next week. Can't wait.
Old 11-07-11, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
I don't understand how Carrie getting drunk, revealing to Brody the subject of the Polygraph and having sex with him helps her investigation. Unless she just screwed up.
No way in hell was that a screw up. Watch her face and you can almost see when she makes the decision to let that little nugget of info out. It was absolutely a calculated revaluation on her part to see how Brody would react. She plays every scenario where she interacts with Brody very well, but everything Carrie does regarding him is calculated. She wants him to trust her. To perhaps slip up and inadvertently reveal something germane to her investigation.

As any good manipulator of intelligence assets would, she'll use whatever means are at her disposal to further her endgame.

Danes is really fantastic in this. Six episodes in and it's looking more and more as if they should just gift-wrap the Best Actress Emmy for her.

Last edited by meritocracy; 11-07-11 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-07-11, 02:41 AM

Anyone else thing that the now dead professor and his white wife were in some sort of witness protection thing? Feels to me like it was more along these lines than the wife somehow being a terrorist.

I just love how this show is very ambiguous with everything. Keeps you on your toes unlike almost any other show I've seen.
Old 11-07-11, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, this show is actually 6 for 6

Awesome episode. I agree that everything Carrie has done so far as been planned and calculated by her, including seducing Brody. The traditional means aren't working so she's trying to think outside the box to learn the truth.

Carrie could see during the polygraph that Brody is well trained at deception especially when asked the question about any affairs.

Well, I guess this episode cleared up any questions about Doctor Faisel. I'm curious to learn more about this Eileen character. They have kept that subplot with her and Faisel pretty ambigous so far.
Old 11-07-11, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved the lie detector scenes Carrie failing the drugs question, Saul seemingly having something to hide at first, and the look at the camera that Brody gave to show that he wasn't gonna get caught.
Old 11-07-11, 06:51 AM
DBP
Cool New Member

The CCTV footage Carrie was watching and rewatching in the beginning appears to show someone (I'm 99% leaning toward Estes) approaching the table in the background and placing something on it whilst Brody and the captive are scuffling.

It's not clear beacuse when the tape in running normal speed the figure only hovers near the table, but the tape in fast-forward give the impression that something is actually placed upon it. Something small.
Old 11-07-11, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I think that scene showed that Carrie is in one way a passionate CIA officer who will do anything to save the country from another terrorist attack, and in another way she is reckless as hell and doesnt think of the consequences (remember when she embarrased her boss to get a polygraph of everyone.)

She is a complex person, who doesnt go by the book. In some ways thats good, in other ways thats bad.
Old 11-07-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
and the look at the camera that Brody gave to show that he wasn't gonna get caught.
His look into the camera and completely calm delivery of "NO" was amazing. Loved that entire scene. This show is so good.
Old 11-07-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think that scene showed that Carrie is in one way a passionate CIA officer who will do anything to save the country from another terrorist attack, and in another way she is reckless as hell and doesnt think of the consequences (remember when she embarrased her boss to get a polygraph of everyone.)

She is a complex person, who doesnt go by the book. In some ways thats good, in other ways thats bad.
In that way she's a lot like Jack Bauer. She'll do anything to get to the truth. But I like the way the show paints her as a fuck up and not like the all knowing Jack Bauer. It makes us question her making it even more confusing as to what the fuck is going on (or even if there is anything going on at all).
Old 11-07-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with McNabb. I didn't think Carrie was calculated. It was shooting from the hip from a person who was truly drunk, and in no way worth the reveal. In general, she doesn't trust Brody, and she IS trying to win him over, but drunk is drunk. She talked too much. Just like having sex with him was WAY over the line. Sucks that she couldn't come out and tell Saul that she knew Brody was lying and why.

As alluded to earlier in this thread, one of the exciting things about this show is it doesn't give you clear answers. That's how intelligence is in real life. Not everything is clear. You have evidence, and you have interpretation of evidence, and that's necessarily a subjective process. Saul definitely failed on the question as to whether he passed the blade, but then again, he was flubbing all over the place and had a general sense of anxiety at the time. Did he leave because he was honestly failing, or did he leave because he knew he was too wound up to give an accurate reading?

Claire Danes has definitely elevated herself in this role.
Old 11-07-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It makes us question her making it even more confusing as to what the fuck is going on (or even if there is anything going on at all).
I think this is what makes her character so fascinating, even though she is a 100% 'good guy', you do question her motives sometimes? I mean she f***ed a potential terrorist just to do get more answers out of him, or maybe she is attracted to him and is killing two birds with one stone. The irony is if she saves lives, is it the wrong thing to do by not going by the book?
Old 11-07-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'm with McNabb. I didn't think Carrie was calculated. It was shooting from the hip from a person who was truly drunk, and in no way worth the reveal. In general, she doesn't trust Brody, and she IS trying to win him over, but drunk is drunk. She talked too much. Just like having sex with him was WAY over the line. Sucks that she couldn't come out and tell Saul that she knew Brody was lying and why.
I can see how it would be advantageous to get close to Brody and give him the impression that she is careless (not far from the truth) and can be a useful source of intelligence information for him. But as you said, telling him the subject of the polygraph questions does more harm than good. It removes the element of surprise. I'm sure its easier to beat a poly if you know what questions are coming. She was so excited about finally getting the chance to put the heat on Brody, then she goes and compromises the test.
Old 11-07-11, 01:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
Anyone else thing that the now dead professor and his white wife were in some sort of witness protection thing? Feels to me like it was more along these lines than the wife somehow being a terrorist.
That doesn't really make sense. Why would they be lead to a house that was rigged to blow if they were in witness protection. The shot of them hauling ass away from the house was from inside a car watching the house, to make sure they were dead, and whoever was in the car probably followed them to the hotel and shot it up.

The only reason that makes sense for Carrie to tell him what the polygraph was for was if she was doing to see if he'd show up to take it. I don't know if her revealing what the test is about is that big of a deal because if he really gave the guy the blade, it should be pretty obvious to Brody what it would be about.
Old 11-07-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
The only reason that makes sense for Carrie to tell him what the polygraph was for was if she was doing to see if he'd show up to take it.
I'm subscribing to the "drunk whore" theory and that she just couldn't help herself. On account of being drunk and a whore.
Old 11-07-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
I'm subscribing to the "drunk whore" theory and that she just couldn't help herself. On account of being drunk and a whore.
And again that's what makes this show so intriguing. You don't know why she did it. Did she have a real motive behind it or is she just a drunk whore? The fact that we know so little is fascinating.
Old 11-07-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
And again that's what makes this show so intriguing. You don't know why she did it. Did she have a real motive behind it or is she just a drunk whore? The fact that we know so little is fascinating.
Agreed, but I'm making an educated decision based on her previous whorish activities.
Old 11-07-11, 04:42 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This is just about the only show that I watch later that night on Sundays.

I still have four episodes of Dexter that I haven't gotten around to yet.

I am hoping they have commentaries for all the episodes of Homeland when Season 1 becomes available for purchase.

This was another terrific episode.
Old 11-07-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This is just about the only show that I watch later that night on Sundays.

I still have four episodes of Dexter that I haven't gotten around to yet.

I am hoping they have commentaries for all the episodes of Homeland when Season 1 becomes available for purchase.

This was another terrific episode.
FOX produces the show and they are normally very good with producing good extras on their DVDs and BD sets including commentary.

Even though Claire Danes has been great on this show and I would love to hear from her on the DVD/BD, she was awful on her commentary track on Terminator 3. Granted that was back in 2003.
Old 11-08-11, 12:08 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FOX produces the show and they are normally very good with producing good extras on their DVDs and BD sets including commentary.

Even though Claire Danes has been great on this show and I would love to hear from her on the DVD/BD, she was awful on her commentary track on Terminator 3. Granted that was back in 2003.
I don't really care what she says. I'm more interested in the producers, creators and directors. This is one show where it would be neat to hear how certain things were decided and what not.
Old 11-08-11, 12:09 AM

My thought was that perhaps the people they are being protected from found out where they were, or at least how to contact them, and then led them into a trap. Just speculation, as it's really hard to know what's really going on in this show, and that's great!

Originally Posted by MrX
That doesn't really make sense. Why would they be lead to a house that was rigged to blow if they were in witness protection. The shot of them hauling ass away from the house was from inside a car watching the house, to make sure they were dead, and whoever was in the car probably followed them to the hotel and shot it up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.