DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Pan Am -- "The Genuine Article" -- 10/30/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-25

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Goran Visnjic Continues His Guest Starring Role as Niko Lonza

"The Genuine Article" -- Maggie is perilously close to losing her job for insubordination, but still manages to maneuver her way onto the flight down to Rio de Janeiro. She reflects back on the rocky path she took to land her dream job, but it's her decision to do whatever it takes to keep it that surprises even her. Meanwhile, Kate has earned her stripes as a courier, but when she is given a difficult mission involving Niko, a Yugoslavian diplomat, she's unsure how to manage the task, as she tries to juggle their deepening personal relationship with her assignment. Finally, Ginny and Dean continue to play with fire in Rio, but Ginny's game playing with both Dean and her boss and lover, a Pan Am executive, is a source of contention with Dean, on "Pan Am," SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Read more: Listings - PAN AM on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1cNlTbghV

I was really busy and tired last night and forgot to post a thread for last night's Pan Am. Here you go folks.
Old 10-31-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Pan Am -- "The Genuine Article" -- 10/30/11

They really need to keep dressing Kate in those white outfits.

The flashbacks with Maggie while sort of interesting just cemented the fact that I think she is really weird looking.
Old 10-31-11, 10:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I decided to bail on this show after last week's episode. I just didn't really care what was going on and found myself not caring most of the time. Hopefully it ends up being rewarding for those still watching.
Old 10-31-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The flashbacks with Maggie while sort of interesting just cemented the fact that I think she is really weird looking.
Somehow, her eyes managed to get even bigger this episode. I still think she's hot.

I liked getting the background on Maggie. This show is nice fluffy fun.
Old 11-01-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The show would be better if they got past the standard tropes of 60's worship and disdain at the same time, inherent in much of the dialogue and plotting. One gets the feeling watching this show we are not watching a woman of the period living in the 60's, but a woman from today in the 60's. It's a standard television practice, but the show needs to do more with it if it wants to stay on the air.
Old 11-01-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode.

I really liked the back story on Maggie and how the character originated in a dead end waitress job. Interesting that a trucker inspired her to be spontaneous and take a chance with her life.

Question: I don't think it was ever clearly stated, but did Maggie fake her entire resume for Pan Am? I know she BS'd about the Portuguese, but she got caught by that Professor for stealing classes and they never actually said if she actually enrolled and finished her education.

I know Maggie is a confidant woman, but making an insult to your supervisor in front of other Pan Am employees was pretty dumb and she deserved disciplinary action. Go figure she uses Dean's affair with the Pan Am VP's wife as leverage.

Surprised noone has mentioned the wife is Erin Cummings from Spartacus and Detroit 187.

And once again Laura looked stunning as usual.

Kate looked great too, but this spy subplot with her and Goran Visnjic is getting a little boring.
Old 11-01-11, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got caught up on this show. It's okay to decent with some potential. I also like Christina Ricci and her character. I like that she talks back to the authority figures. The employees were all unionized. They mentioned the union or seniority list with respect to the captain, but one would think that Maggie would have a union rep in there. I guess that may be another re-write of history -- just eliminating the existence of unions and the job security and protection afforded.

I thought the character mentioned was not the Pan Am VP's wife but his mistress/"secretary"?

I did not realize she was in Spartacus. Interesting.
Old 11-01-11, 09:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I really enjoyed this episode.

Question: I don't think it was ever clearly stated, but did Maggie fake her entire resume for Pan Am?

....this spy subplot with her and Goran Visnjic is getting a little boring.
My take was that she worked in the registrar's office and faked the whole thing. She may have taken the classes but not for credit.

The spy stuff is the worst part of the show. It's a light fantasy about the 60's and doesn't need it. Especially since the CIA agent is a jerk.
Old 11-01-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The spy plot is mostly put in to include some stuff about political ideas of the period without coming off too preachy.
Old 11-01-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I was under the impression she went to see the guy in the transcript office she was warned to avoid and he faked one for her
Old 11-02-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by northmoor
I thought the character mentioned was not the Pan Am VP's wife but his mistress/"secretary"?
I think so too.

I did not realize she was in Spartacus. Interesting.
I didn't know that either. I thought she was smokin' in Spartatus but didn't recognize her at all.
Old 11-02-11, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I missed not seeing any of the ladies shown prancing about in 60's lingerie such as in the ep two weeks featuring Laura in full girdle and stockings.
Shoulda kept that one the DVR for future review. heh

Also tired of the story line with Luka. I believe I actually groaned when I saw that coming up.
I'm OK with the spy segment of the week aspect, but had enough of this particular story.

Still find this to be a fun entertaining enough show in general.

Oh, once again I didn't feel I got enough Collette.