Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Whitechapel -- new crime series on BBCA

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 08:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Whitechapel -- new crime series on BBCA

Anyone watching BBCA's latest "Dramaville" installment, Whitechapel? It's from the producers of Downtown Abbey, but I'm pretty sure the plot similarities end there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0vM21CEDusw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
This premiered Wednesday, 10/26 and got off to a great start. From what I can find, the first season consists of 6 episodes -- the first 3 in which a Jack the Ripper-type killer terrorizes London's East End while the subsequent 3 involve the investigation of the infamous crimes of the Kray twins. Not sure if BBCA is airing all 6 in succession or splitting them up.
Old 10-31-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Whitechapel -- new crime series on BBCA

I believe its only a three episode series so im dvr'ing them all so i can watch them together
Old 10-31-11, 09:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

"New." It's from 2009.
Old 10-31-11, 10:24 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Fair enough, looks like it's new to the BBCA and their Dramaville programming lineup. Feel free to modify the thread title if you see fit.
Old 10-31-11, 11:18 AM

I'm not criticizing the thread title, I'm criticizing BBCA's policy of showing hacked-up versions of years-old shows, and then wondering why their ratings suck. The first series of Whitechapel was released on DVD in the UK over 32 months ago. The people who program for them are living in another world, where there's no internet or access to anything they don't spoon-feed us.
Old 10-31-11, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it's originally 3 episodes for the 1st series (based on Jack the Ripper) and then the second series, which is a further 3 episodes, based on the Kray twins. BBCA is just airing them together, but in reality, they were really spaced out from one airing to the next. 1st Series premiered in February 2009 and the second one didn't air until October of 2010.
Old 10-31-11, 02:32 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I watched the first series a couple weeks ago with Amazon VOD. It was pretty good. If you like Jack The Ripper stuff, it's definitely worth watching.
Old 10-31-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Whatever happened to season 3? I read that it went into production in March (with six episodes this time, yaaaa!), but haven't heard a peep about it since!

And I thought I read that BBCA was taking a new tack with the "Dramaville" series. I heard that they weren't going to cut stuff down to 43 minutes to fit a US time slot; instead they were going to make "Dramaville" shows run 75 minutes with commercials added. Did this not happen? I don't watch BBCA, because stuff is ancient by the time it gets here to the US.
Old 10-31-11, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Whatever happened to season 3? I read that it went into production in March (with six episodes this time, yaaaa!), but haven't heard a peep about it since!
ITV has commissioned a 6 x 60” series of Whitechapel from Carnival Films. The drama written by Ben Court and Caroline Ip, and starring Rupert Penry-Jones, Phil Davis and Steve Pemberton will begin filming this spring for transmission in 2012.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press...d/default.html
Old 10-31-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
And I thought I read that BBCA was taking a new tack with the "Dramaville" series. I heard that they weren't going to cut stuff down to 43 minutes to fit a US time slot; instead they were going to make "Dramaville" shows run 75 minutes with commercials added. Did this not happen? I don't watch BBCA, because stuff is ancient by the time it gets here to the US.
It's probably a case by case basis - depending on both time & content, but they seem to be doing little to no editing on the first airing & then cutting things way down for reruns. I rewatched part of a Luther episode on a Saturday & realized that an entire subplot was missing. I definitely remember some episodes of The Hour running over an hour on Wednesday nights.

As for Whitechapel - I don't have a strong opinion yet, but plan to watch #2.
Old 11-01-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the first season of Luther ran 75 minutes at a time. Did they edit stuff for season 2?

And this version of Whitechapel is edited? Well that stinks. I enjoyed the first episode but if the show actually runs 75 minutes, then run the whole thing!

You don't need more time for ST:TNG reruns for pete's sake.