TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Save the Last One" -- 10/30/11

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Save the Last One" -- 10/30/11

Pretty solid episode last night.

Some of you probably didn't notice, but the writer of the episode Scott Gimple is a new member of the writing staff. Plus, the director Phil Abraham is also new to the show. He previously directed episodes of Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy.

Lots of suspense and some good character development. Really liked Lori and Rick's conversation about the current state of the world. I thought Rick bringing up the Deer to Lori and using it as a Metaphor to symbolize hope was poignant.

Not surprised that Otis became Zombie food, but I was surprised at how that whole situation played out. To me, I think Shane thought he lost respect from the group and Lori and wanted to come back from this situation a solo "Hero" and use it to redeem himself, especially to Lori.
Old 10-31-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Shane seemed like a dick since leaving Rick to die anyways. About time he becomes sinster and outright evil.
Old 10-31-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Okay people, STOP complaining about there not being enough zombies, enough zombie attacks, and wondering why stuff is shot in the dark (so they don't have to get fancy with the makeup). It's already well-known that AMC cut the budget for WALKING DEAD this season, despite the fact that they're shooting 13 episodes instead of six. That means each new episode allows them to spend less than half (and maybe as little as a third) of what they could spend on an episode in Season 1.

That said, am I the only one who totally agreed with Shane's motivations last night? He doesn't do what he does and three people (including himself) are probably dead. I actually hope they DON'T give him the same fate that he got in the comics. He is one of the more interesting characters on the show (while meanwhile, Rick is becoming totally "whipped" by his spouse).
Old 10-31-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Wait, are they really shooting 13 episodes for less than they shot six? I thought it was a lower cost per episode they were going for.
Old 10-31-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Wait, are they really shooting 13 episodes for less than they shot six? I thought it was a lower cost per episode they were going for.
They are shooting more episodes at a lower cost per episode, IIRC, it's approximately $2.7M per episode for this season. Season 1 was almost $3.5M per episode.
Old 10-31-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah it seems to me that Shane will be replacing...

Spoiler:
Tyrese's character, at the rate they're going. I really hope we get to see him though, since he was an awesome addition to the comic.
Old 10-31-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah it seems to me that Shane will be replacing...

Spoiler:
Tyrese's character, at the rate they're going. I really hope we get to see him though, since he was an awesome addition to the comic.
Would someone go into detail who they think Shane will be replacing in terms of the comic and what happened to Shane in the comic.
Old 10-31-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Okay people, STOP complaining about there not being enough zombies, enough zombie attacks, and wondering why stuff is shot in the dark (so they don't have to get fancy with the makeup).
I've been informed that people don't complain about those things so your post is thus a giant failure and an giant example of poor writing and weak characterization. Your acting was sub-par and I didn't believe the fact that you agree with Shane's motivations at all. I now think that Darabont likely left the show due to this post and I can't believe AMC is bothering to even air this garbage.

PS: I've watched every episode and I don't remember Rick getting whipped once by his wife. So great job with continuity buddy!

But seriously, I didn't notice any more night-time zombies then usual and attributed it to the budget. It makes sense, I just figured it was due to the fact that zombies are more frightening at night. I haven't noticed much in the way of budget cuts, but I think next episode's big action scenes will show will fall flat due to the smaller budget. And I agree that Shane is one of best characters in the show.
Old 10-31-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Would someone go into detail who they think Shane will be replacing in terms of the comic and what happened to Shane in the comic.
Spoiler:
Shane gets killed by Carl really, really early on in the comic.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Shane

Tyreese is a black guy that really helps the group out in terms of leadership and killing the undead.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Tyreese

Read the Tyreese one at your own peril, it's extremely spoiler laden.
Old 10-31-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comic spoilers ahead:

Spoiler:

In the comics, early on (by issue 6), tensions between Rick and Shane had already come to a head. They both disagreed on whether the camp should keep moving, or stay put and wait for help. Shane grew increasingly frustrated about Rick's return, believing that he "wasn't supposed" to come back, that he would have convinced Lori to be with him at some point. Eventually Shane pulled a gun on Rick and was about to kill him, when Carl ends up shooting him in the neck, saving Rick.

Soon after that, while the gang is on the move, they meet Tyrese, his daughter, and the daughter's boyfriend. Tyrese soon becomes a trusted friend to Rick, and he was the one present with Rick when Carl was shot.

In terms of the comic, Tyrese served as a replacement for Shane, in that he was a stable friend, was a good character in his own right, with the added benefit of not wanting to kill him (although they did have a big fight at one point).

I'm thinking that since Shane is still around, the need for Tyrese is not as great at this time. I mean it's possible that he will arrive, but maybe later than expected.

Old 10-31-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shane:

Spoiler:
When Rick eventually arrived and joined the group, Shane was initially overjoyed. However, he gradually became jealous of Rick and Lori getting back together. Eventually, Lori brushed off Shane's advances and said it had to stop. While he had believed she referred to their romance, she really meant his fixation on her. He attempts to bring up their moment on the highway, which she immediately puts him to a halt saying "it was a mistake". He's sent into an emotional meltdown when he has a fight with Rick over the topic of staying at camp.

Rick supported moving the camp to a safer location, while Shane insisted they would still be saved by the Army. Lori sided with Rick after a momentary fight, quickly getting in between them while lashing out at Shane calling him insane. The sight and realization of Lori going to Rick's side caused Shane to have a meltdown. Shane ran into the nearby woods, with Rick pursuing, until Shane stopped and held him at gunpoint. He began to yell at Rick, saying how he had believed Lori would have eventually come back to him (thus hinting to Rick about the brief romance between them), and felt Rick "should have stayed dead".

Seeing Shane was completely insane and moments away from pulling the trigger, Carl, having followed and witnessed his father in danger, shot Shane in the neck. Shane choked on his own blood and died seconds later. Lori spit on his grave, calling him a 'bastard'.

Rick returns to Shane's grave following the death of Julie, Tyreese's daughter, to test the theory whether the dead would return to life even if they hadn't been bitten. Digging up Shane's grave, he found he was indeed undead. He said that he wouldn't feel right about leaving him like that and, if things had been different, Shane would probably not have done the same for Rick. He then shoots Shane in the head, putting him down and said that he wouldn't bury Shane again, thus leaving Shane to rot.

He might be replacing Tyreese.

Spoiler:
Tyreese was a NFL pro football player they picked up and was the first bad-ass zombie killing machine in the book. He later became group leader after Rick made a few costly mistakes. I don't see the same dynamic with Shane at all, unless they vote Shane to be their new group leader...
Old 10-31-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shazam
Spoiler:
Shane gets killed by Carl really, really early on in the comic.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Shane

Tyreese is a black guy that really helps the group out in terms of leadership and killing the undead.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Tyreese

Read the Tyreese one at your own peril, it's extremely spoiler laden.
Yeah, I didn't want to post everything on Tyreese cuz I don't wanna spoil it for myself when I reread the books
Old 10-31-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn...
Spoiler:
It seems like the comic is a lot worse than the TV show in terms of force and evil. Wonder what they will do as there is no need for Tyreese and Shane is probably still a popular character that shouldn't die yet. How many comics have they done so far anyways?
Old 10-31-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Issue 90 just came out last week.
Old 10-31-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

It's annoying that they're still search for the kid. They come across a tent with a hanging zombie on one of their smaller walks in the evening. Shouldn't they have come across that already as they've been looking for a few days now already and for longer stretches?

I suspected last episode that Shane would kill the fat man, and the head-shaving intro made it obvious.
Old 11-01-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This was a very good episode for a show about zombies. I suspect this is the beginning of the end for Rick's and Lori's relationship, giving Shane a wedge to step right back in with Lori.

The writers shouldn't have telegraphed Otis being killed off almost from the moment they introduced him. It was a given with a name like Otis and his appearance that he was introduced for zombie food.
Old 11-01-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope I'm not the only one (because it'd make me a heartless sumabitch), but I'm so annoyed by the mom with the missing daughter that at his point, I would be quite content with having the stupid (she IS stupid - very stupid) girl turn up dead, resulting in the mom shooting herself.
Old 11-01-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
I hope I'm not the only one (because it'd make me a heartless sumabitch), but I'm so annoyed by the mom with the missing daughter that at his point, I would be quite content with having the stupid (she IS stupid - very stupid) girl turn up dead, resulting in the mom shooting herself.
I can't see them spending this much time looking for the kid to have her turn up dead at this point. I think they'll find the kid, but I think the mom is toast regardless. (Course their commitment to looking for the kid could be more just about building those characters, so who knows.)
Old 11-01-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, I was not expecting that ending! I expected Otis to cash out, but not that Shane would do that. I think they've really made Shane the most interesting character on the show. The flashback showing him thinking Rick was dead and barricading the room gave us a peek into his character. Watching him watch as Rick came back and took away everything he had fought for and had fallen in love with. Now making a hard choice to sacrifice one life to save himself and Carl. Not saying he did the right thing necessarily, but wow. Great job of hitting some of the morality that comes with a post-apocalyptic world.

I do feel like the Sophia storyline is dragging on waaaay too long. Though it did give us that nice Daryl/Andrea scene. They need to find her or move on soon. Glad the Carl storyline seems to be wrapped up now. The actor that plays Carl did a pretty awesome job this week, and so did his parents.
Old 11-01-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
It has been talked about before, but I'll spoil it just in case:

Spoiler:
Everyone who dies, for any reason, will re-animate as a zombie. If Carl dies in surgery, he will re-animate as a zombie. Zombie bites are not how the "infection" is spread in the Walking Dead, only that zombie bites cause infections that are 100% lethal. So if you consider that info, it explains how emergency areas like hospitals and military camps where overrun. But, since the show hasn't really spelled that out yet to the viewers,it is either being set up for a big reveal later on, or one of the many ways the show diverges from the comic. I can't see why it'd be changed, but you never know.
I thought the guy/walker in the tree pretty much explained that for everyone...
Old 11-01-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I thought the guy/walker in the tree pretty much explained that for everyone...
Except he had a note saying he had been bitten.
Old 11-01-11, 10:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I hated Shane as a character up until this episode, but I think I agree with most people here that he's becoming the most interesting character in the show. His actions were kind of unexpected, but thinking back to when he and Otis hopped in the truck to go get supplies, it almost felt like he knew he was going to do it then. Daryl's still my favourite (who doesn't love a badass redneck that ISN'T trying to kill all the other people?).
I'm much more inclined to finally read the comic books now (I bought the 48-issue Compendium before Season 1 aired). I don't know why, but when some of the episodes started to disappoint, I became less interested in reading the comics, even though I know they play out differently. Unfortunately, I know the fate of at least one character in the comics, but that's okay.

What's the best way to go about buying issues 49 thru 90 (and beyond)? It sounds like I'd have to wait a minimum of 6 months to get a second Compendium (49 thru 96?), so I'd rather get them some other way.

Last edited by Dan; 11-01-11 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Compendium-errific
Old 11-01-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I hated Shane as a character up until this episode, but I think I agree with most people here that he's becoming the most interesting character in the show. His actions were kind of unexpected, but thinking back to when he and Otis hopped in the truck to go get supplies, it almost felt like he knew he was going to do it then. Daryl's still my favourite (who doesn't love a badass redneck that ISN'T trying to kill all the other people?).
I'm much more inclined to finally read the comic books now (I bought the 48-issue Compendium before Season 1 aired). I don't know why, but when some of the episodes started to disappoint, I became less interested in reading the comics, even though I know they play out differently. Unfortunately, I know the fate of at least one character in the comics, but that's okay.

What's the best way to go about buying issues 49 thru 90 (and beyond)? It sounds like I'd have to wait a minimum of 6 months to get a second Omnibus (49 thru 96?), so I'd rather get them some other way.
Hardcovers collecting up to issue 84 are out. If you got books 5-7 that would pick up right after the compendium.

My guess is the second compendium won't come until after the trades, hardcovers and fourth omnibus have come out. So you might have a wait ahead of you.

If you go with the softcover books, start with book 9. Book 15 (which collects up to issue 90) will be out in December.
Old 11-01-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Shane is the one who will be making the dark survival choices in the show instead of Rick as in the comics. And that creates more tension between them.

But it was a good scene. We figured it out. Probably from reading the comics.

Just move on, find the girl already. And there still seems to be spatial issues every episode this season. Leaning up against a chain link fence and not seeing the Zombie behind it?
Old 11-01-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like the girl having found her way to Hershel's house would have been the best fix for the little girl story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.