Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has this been one of the worst years ever for new shows???

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-27-11, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm basing this by feedback from the forum too. I had 4 eps of Tera Nova but decided to delete it because of the bad feedback. That was supposed to be big and we've had many of cancellations already too.

I tested out a bunch of the new shows too and just dumped them. This year it doesn't have have a Six Feet Under or Dexter or Sopranos or Breaking bad or Lost or The Shield etc.....

It seems all that they produced this year has been garbage except for a few shows that I haven't seen yet.

I have them saved up and haven't seen yet but: Homeland & America Horror Story are the top of the list this year and funny, they are on cable which seems to produce great TV rather than Network TV.

The 2 I checked out was Suburgatory (on ep 3) and watched the pilot of The Secret Story and liked the pilot and might stick with that show. Other than that, it sucks for me. My man card is taking a hit because I'm still hitting the desperate housewives, vampire diaries, gossip girl, Supernatural. Only because I've been invested in the shows and will see how it plays out but I could dump them if great new shows came, but that hasn't been the case.
Old 10-27-11, 04:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Has this been one of the worst years ever for new shows???

Homeland is awesome, but other than that I agree it's a pretty poor year for new shows.
Old 10-27-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

We've added The Secret Circle, Homeland, American Horror Story, Terra Nova, 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, Person of Interest, and Pan Am to our watch list, so now...hasn't been a bad year for me at all.

Crap, forgot about Revenge - another great show I've added.

Last edited by Draven; 10-28-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post
I'm basing this by feedback from the forum too. I had 4 eps of Tera Nova but decided to delete it because of the bad feedback. That was supposed to be big and we've had many of cancellations already too.

I tested out a bunch of the new shows too and just dumped them. This year it doesn't have have a Six Feet Under or Dexter or Sopranos or Breaking bad or Lost or The Shield etc.....

It seems all that they produced this year has been garbage except for a few shows that I haven't seen yet.

I have them saved up and haven't seen yet but: Homeland & America Horror Story are the top of the list this year and funny, they are on cable which seems to produce great TV rather than Network TV.

The 2 I checked out was Suburgatory (on ep 3) and watched the pilot of The Secret Story and liked the pilot and might stick with that show. Other than that, it sucks for me. My man card is taking a hit because I'm still hitting the desperate housewives, vampire diaries, gossip girl, Supernatural. Only because I've been invested in the shows and will see how it plays out but I could dump them if great new shows came, but that hasn't been the case.
Honestly it depends, we've added several shows to our list..more than the previous few years.

we've added up all night, new girl, once upon a time and Hell on Wheels/Alcatraz is coming soon.

Oh and you said year, well game of Thrones debuted this year. So honestly for me..this is one of the best years.
Old 10-27-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Strike Back, Homeland. I don't want a ton of new good shows. Just a few mixed in with the older shows I watch.
Old 10-27-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obligatory yearly "One of the worst years ever thread".

I would say no. Last few years were much worse. Once Upon A Time, Terra Nova, American Horror Story, Secret Circle, Suburgatory & Revenge have been added to my list.
Old 10-27-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Revenge, Homeland, and Game of Thrones are all really good.
Old 10-27-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Hardly. Hawaii 5-0 and Walking Dead were the only bona-fide hits from last year. This year seems to be faring much better. Personally I've added Person of Interest, Prime Suspect, Terra Nova, and American Horror Story.
Old 10-27-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In agreement with those that have added more shows this year than those in the recent past.

I've added American Horror Story, Homeland, Revenge (catching up on this - it's awesome!), Ringer, The Secret Circle (who would have thought?!), Suburgatory (although this past episode wasn't as good as the ones before but still pretty good) and Game of Thrones since others are mentioning it. I'm also giving Hell on Wheels a try and if it is more BB/MM and less WD - it's a keeper on my watch list as well.

I'm actually shocked at the number of new shows I watch. It's more than the total number of shows I did watch before this season.

Last edited by conscience; 10-27-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus, it doesn't seem like there have been as many cancellations so far this season than in the past. I absolutely could be wrong about that, though.
Old 10-27-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

American Horror Story is really the only fresh, new thing I have seen on television this year. Maybe Wilfred, but that premiered months ago. Person Of Interest would have much more potential on another network, but I do not trust CBS to let the show grow organically from a weekly procedural.
Old 10-27-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, the best of 2011 include:
Game of Thrones
Strike Back
Shameless
Episodes
Suits
American Horror Story
Homeland
Revenge
Wilfred
Suburgatory

Not the best but still watchable:
Falling Skies
Terra Nova
Secret Circle
Hart of Dixie
Up All Night
New Girl

Trying to like but may drop soon:
Person of Interest
Unforgettable
Prime Suspect
2 Broke Girls
Ringer

Last edited by GMan2819; 10-27-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

For 2011, Hardly dude. I know opinions here are subjective, but this year has been alot better than previous years. I'm not going to list every new show I watch, but I will list the top ones that I like and are appointment TV:

Strike Back
Game of Thrones
American Horror Story
Homeland
The Secret Circle
Game of Thrones
Revenge
Person of Interest
2 Broke Girls
The X Factor (even though it's poorly edited and so over-produced)
Pan Am

It's super early, but I like what I have seen from Once Upon a Time and Boss

Last edited by DJariya; 10-27-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Plus, it doesn't seem like there have been as many cancellations so far this season than in the past. I absolutely could be wrong about that, though.
Not many cancellations at all.

How to be a Gentleman
Free Agents
Charlie's Angels
The Playboy Club

That's it.
Old 10-27-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
American Horror Story is really the only fresh, new thing I have seen on television this year. Maybe Wilfred, but that premiered months ago. Person Of Interest would have much more potential on another network, but I do not trust CBS to let the show grow organically from a weekly procedural.
Damn, Wilfred. How could I forget that one. Argh! Amazing show. Someone also mentioned Shameless. Another good one.

Luckily most of the shows I watch are 13 episodes or less and last three/four months tops. Or I wouldn't have time in the day.
Old 10-27-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh yeah. Wilfred and Game of Thrones and Person of Interest, too. Definitely not a bad year.
Old 10-27-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

American Horror Story is the only new show I'm watching. I gave a few others a chance and didn't like them.
Old 10-27-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

So little time for new shows but have been watching Ringer, which is OK. Watched the Playboy Club pilot but bailed when it was canceled.

Nice to have this thread for recommendations on what to try next.
Old 10-27-11, 08:21 PM

Game of Thrones and Homeland are two of my favorite shows. I enjoyed Shameless quite a bit too. My roommates and I have also started to watch that new Tim Allen show. It doesn't come close to shows like Modern Family, Community or P&R in my opinion, but damn if it hasn't grown on us for whatever reason.

All of these mentions of AHStory makes me think I'm missing out. Kind of surprised I haven't been watching it from the beginning actually.
Old 10-27-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The summer was awesome with Game of Thrones and Wilfred. I've been pretty underwhelmed by the fall lineups though.
Old 10-28-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been thinking the same. Very weak season so far.
While I've added quite a few new shows to my watchlist only one has been truly great; Game Of Thrones. The rest so far are between "pretty good" and "might get fantastic", and besides a small handful none of them have earned a full season commitment from me just yet.
Old 10-28-11, 03:37 AM

A show I have been enjoying very much is Todd And The Book Of Pure Evil. It just completed its First Season run on FearNet this week. Didn't care much for Psychoville, though.

Still need to watch American Horror Story and the new Beavis & Butt-Head.
Old 10-28-11, 04:05 AM

You're all forgetting 'Boss' which looks like it might be one of the best shows full stop, let alone of the year.

Pan Am, Playboy Club and Terra Nova were all good attempts but seemed more like poor imitations of Mad Men and Lost respectively. Rather enjoyed 'New Girl' but it doesn't really have enough substance to be judged amongst the above.
Old 10-28-11, 10:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Of the 5 broadcast networks, the only new show from last season I still watch is Happy Endings.
Old 10-28-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

American Horror Story is a great show.

I loved Game of Thrones, which was nothing but quality. And I have to watch Ringer as the wife is a Whedonite and will watch ANYTHING with Buffy cast-offs. It started out horrible but has gotten a little more interesting.

We tried watching 2 Broke Girls. People entertained by this insipid shit should be removed from the gene pool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.