TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: South Pacific -- "Trojan Horse" -- 10/26/11

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Survivor: South Pacific -- "Trojan Horse" -- 10/26/11

Originally Posted by chowderhead
it's not a smart move since they probably already have Christine's vote.
Viewers know that they probably have Christine's vote because you get to see everything that goes on in both tribes, at all tribal councils, and at RI. Ozzy and his tribe only knows what goes on with their tribe, and what little they see at RI challenges. Obviously if they thought that they could count on Christine, they never would never have done this plan.
Old 10-27-11, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Coach's prayers ring false to me (especially when he prayed that they would find the idol...and it was in his pocket). What a twat.

I hope he gets the boot soon.
I do not trust any man who prays to Jesus but has Hebrew tattooed on his arm.

They are not peanut butter and chocolate.
Old 10-27-11, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I'm wondering if Cochran didn't throw the competition after what Ozzy told him at the beginning of the episode. It seems to have worked out pretty well for him. Ozzy is either gone or will come back gunning for the prayer circle after merge. Plus he spared his entire tribe the torture of being forced to watch Jack & Jill.
I'm convinced Cochran did it deliberately.
Old 10-27-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Ozzy is in for a shock when he finds out that God is on Coach's team.
I'm still waiting for the day God finally says "STOP PRAYING TO ME TO WIN REALITY TV SHOWS! I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO!"
Old 10-27-11, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
I do not trust any man who prays to Jesus but has Hebrew tattooed on his arm.
Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28
Old 10-27-11, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
And that's moron, not moran. And yes, he's a moron.
I'm quite sure you're wrong. See the pic posted above.
Old 10-27-11, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Jeremy's Power Rankings after Episode Seven

RankPlayerNotesTrending
1JimFar and away the front-runner at this point 4
2DawnNot a good edit for Dawn, considering how much of the focus her tribe got. Another week like this would be bad news. 1
3CochranHe survives again, but not a favorable edit at all for this point of the game. I don't see how he could get jury votes even if he makes it to the end. 1
4CoachManaged to annoy both non-Christians (lots of praying and God talk) and Christians (praying as a strategy, instead of with any sincerity). Quite an accomplishment.--
People below this line have no chance. It is really tempting to move this line above Cochran. Only his idol and his tribe have him above this line. I'd put Coach's odds at about 100 to 1 right now.
5AlbertMoves up by default, since he seems to have a clue about how to play. 4
6OzzyHigh risk-reward. It probably isn't going to work, but it was probably his only chance to get back in his tribe's good graces. 2
7SophieIrrelevant three episodes in a row. Hard times for a former frontrunner. Probably would do well if she was on the other tribe. 4
8BrandonManaged to avoid crying this episode. Unfortunately for him, he avoided any face time as well. Only Crazy Brandon gets face time, and Crazy Brandon can't win. 1
9EdnaCan we just eliminate all of the bottom six in one episode? 1
10ChristineImpressive RI run but no face time? No long-term future in the game. 1
11WhitneyCan we just eliminate all of the bottom four in one episode? 1
12KeithCan we just eliminate all of the bottom four in one episode? 1
13ElyseCan we just eliminate all of the bottom four in one episode? 1
14MustacheCan we just eliminate all of the bottom four in one episode? 1
--Mikayla
I agree with you about your top 4 but I would not rule out Edna. She has gotten airtimes most episodes,explained her strategy in a simple rational manner. Had scenes were someone like Albert who is edited as smart and rational expressed worry that she is smarter then she lets on. The only people to ever express dislike about her personally were outsiders Mikayla and Stacey.
Old 10-27-11, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I don't like Ozzy at all, but this was a good move if he wants to win. If they vote out Cochran, Ozzy still can't win a jury vote.
You're assuming he even makes it to the jury vote. Hes going to have the biggest bullseye on his back out of everyone after the merge. Hes's isolating and separating himself from his tribe at a time when he should be strengthening his alliances and thinking about the endgame. Now hes completely out of the game while everyone else is free to plot against him and decide when is the best point blindside him after the merge. Assuming he even makes it back. Its a dumb move even if it works.
Old 10-27-11, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Ozzy seems very foolish, but then again it could be brilliant. IF the merge happens and IF he beats Christine, then his tribe will be incredibly loyal to him--which he needs, because otherwise he'd have had--hands-down--the largest target on his back post-merge. But if this makes his tribe more loyal to him than Coaches tribe is to him (which is possible), this could be a brilliant move and get their six far in the game.
If all the what if's work in his favor there is still one long term flaw with the plan. Telling his tribe about the plan AFTER they already told Cochran go redeem yourself we are sending you to Redemption Island. Cochran would be a fool to stick with them to f6 even with that Idol.
Old 10-27-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Maybe Ozzy thinks he'll come back with Super Powers like Lawon on BB
Old 10-27-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I'm wondering if Cochran didn't throw the competition after what Ozzy told him at the beginning of the episode.
I don't think so. I think he was genuinely flustered--the same look he's had at a few other challenges as well.

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Spoiler:
Weren't there 3 at the final RI challenge before the merge last season?

If so, there's probably a regular immunity challenge at the start of next show to send another to RI to join Christine & Ozzy.
I think I just read somewhere recently that Probst indicated that would not be the case this season.

What a crazy and entertaining episode. Sure the plan is bizarre, but you can see some logic in it I suppose. Seems like merge hints were tossed about a time or two, with Jeff making a big deal about the winner of this challenge having a numbers advantage on the other tribe.

Lots of laughs in the final minutes. When Ozzy reveals he's changed his mind, only to laugh in Cochran's face about it. Then to see him almost take a victory sprint away from Tribal Council. Win or lose, what a memorable moment.
Old 10-27-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'll love watching it play out, but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out the logic of this strategy given that Christine would be near certain to join forces with their side anyhow, given how bitter she is (which they've witnessed at the duels).

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-27-11 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the sense that this is more about gaining his tribes loyalty post-merge than being afraid Christine is going to be loyal to her old tribe. Ozzy is no mental giant, but he has to realize that Christine has no love loss for her original tribe. This really makes a ton of sense if he can win at RI. He goes back and instead of being an instant target for the other tribe (and a few of his own tribe), he may be ensuring himself in at least the final six. I'm sure he'd take his chances against all the people that remain in the tribe.

As much as I'd enjoy a crazy move like this to succeed, I'd be just as interested to see someone with a mad-on the size that Christine must be carrying come back into the game.
Old 10-27-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
I'm still waiting for the day God finally says "STOP PRAYING TO ME TO WIN REALITY TV SHOWS! I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO!"
How about poker players who pray to catch a card on the turn or river? "One time!!!"
Old 10-27-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auto
I'm quite sure you're wrong. See the pic posted above.
If tea party nuts have taught us anything, it is the spelling of "moran."
Old 10-27-11, 09:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sort of curious why Ozzy let Cochran of all people be the 'keeper of the hidden immunity idol'. And is there a rule you can't bring a HII to Redemption Island and back? Because assuming his plan goes how he hopes, his team shouldn't need to play the idol at the time between him getting voted off and him returning to the game. The only scenario where it makes sense (aside from a rule where it becomes invalid if you go to RI) is if the tribes merge and hold a tribal council *before* Ozzy returns from RI.
Old 10-27-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I get the sense that this is more about gaining his tribes loyalty post-merge than being afraid Christine is going to be loyal to her old tribe. Ozzy is no mental giant, but he has to realize that Christine has no love loss for her original tribe. This really makes a ton of sense if he can win at RI. He goes back and instead of being an instant target for the other tribe (and a few of his own tribe), he may be ensuring himself in at least the final six. I'm sure he'd take his chances against all the people that remain in the tribe.

As much as I'd enjoy a crazy move like this to succeed, I'd be just as interested to see someone with a mad-on the size that Christine must be carrying come back into the game.
That's way too much strategy for Ozzy. I don't know why he wouldn't be an instant target for the other tribe regardless.

The whole other thing is that we don't have any idea when that RI person will re-enter. There seems to be this assumption that it will happen at the same time as a merge.
Old 10-27-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'll love watching it play out, but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out the logic of this strategy given that Natalie would be near certain to join forces with their side anyhow, given how bitter she is (which they've witnessed at the duels).
I don't know if it's near certain. If she decides to stick with Upolu, they would have a 7-5 advantage. That can't be ignored or taken lightly either.
Old 10-27-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
You're assuming he even makes it to the jury vote.
I'm not assuming that at all. I think his odds of winning are very slim, just that his odds (from his perspective) are now slightly greater: 0.1% > 0%. His odds of making the final two/three went down, but his odds of winning went up. The circumstances necessary for this to be an OK move are very specific though: the person must have zero chance at winning a jury vote beforehand. Breaking down the math further:

(Odds he wins the RI challenge * odds that the merge happens now * odds that his tribe accepts him back as their champion) > (odds that he sweeps the individual immunity challenges * the odds that his tribe forgets how big of a douche he has been).

I think it is going to end up being a spectacular failure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't give him a slightly greater chance of winning, since a microscopic chance of winning is better than no chance at all.

Note: If they knew that Christine would switch, it would obviously be a terrible play. I'm going on the assumption that it isn't as obvious to them as it is to viewers. Even Ozzy, as horrible as he is at strategy, wouldn't do this if they knew Christine would switch. Jim, who is good at strategy, definitely wouldn't let them do it if they knew Christine would switch.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 10-27-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Ozzy is at least making things entertaining. I'll give him that.
Old 10-27-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28
Heh, I'm Jewish. I'm coming from the other side of the fence.
Old 10-27-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about poker players who pray to catch a card on the turn or river? "One time!!!"
Same answer. Stop asking God for help. Ask for help from deceased family members, but leave God alone.
Old 10-27-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If tea party nuts have taught us anything, it is the spelling of "moran."
Margaret Cho got there first.
Old 10-27-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Is Team Savaii absolutely clueless that Christine hates Upolu and will probably flip? You would think the Savaii members who have attended the Redemption Island challenge would have figured that out.

I loved Ozzy losing his mind after the Immunity challenge.

After his little Free Agent hissy fit in the last episode, I have to give Ozzy some credit for at least trying to come up with a game-changing strategy. He's definitely got balls to try something this nuts.
Old 10-27-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I think the edits are clearly favoring someone from Ozzy's tribe to win the entire game. Ozzy's plan did not make much sense, Cochran is truly a poor competitor in challenges and it's very possible the tribe loses a challenge because of that difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.