Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Just started watching Heroes...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just started watching Heroes...WOW!

OK so I started watching Heroes last week on dvd and I'm currently up to episode 14. This show is just AMAZING!!!! Loving it to bits so far!

But here's the thing....I have read on several forums that the second season is terrible, and so are the remaining seasons. Is this really true? How can this be, when the first season is this enjoyable? I'm already interested in pretty much all the characters and I'm always on the edge of my seat wondering what's gonna happen next. So is the second season worth getting or not? Why should I not get it? Please no spoilers obviously.
Old 10-23-11, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Just started watching Heroes...WOW!

Yes. I recommend you stop watching after the season 1 finale.

The show loses it's focus and purpose and constantly keeps jumping sharks until it finally dies.
Old 10-23-11, 03:24 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The first season was awesome. Definitely keep watching, the season finale is great.

Starting in the second season, each new episode is a little bit worse than the previous one. Fleeting moments of brilliance are quickly doused by utterly moronic plot twists. Eventually you'll start hating the main characters and hope they get killed off. By the time season four ended, I was glad it wasn't coming back.

Anyways, if you want to watch season 2-4, you can stream them on Netflix and Hulu+. That's probably better than wasting money on the DVDs.
Old 10-23-11, 03:52 AM
ATX

Originally Posted by OutRun2
OK so I started watching Heroes last week on dvd and I'm currently up to episode 14. This show is just AMAZING!!!! Loving it to bits so far!

But here's the thing....I have read on several forums that the second season is terrible, and so are the remaining seasons. Is this really true? How can this be, when the first season is this enjoyable? I'm already interested in pretty much all the characters and I'm always on the edge of my seat wondering what's gonna happen next. So is the second season worth getting or not? Why should I not get it? Please no spoilers obviously.
dude, ignore everybody

they suffer from the fatigue of watching it air live on tv

i'd say that if you marathon the dvds thru 4 seasons, you'll at least be entertained...as you know though many times w/ these kinds of shows the story or plot may get sloppy and go off the rails but i say just stick with it and enjoy the entertainment value.

---

at minimum watch the first 2 seasons
Old 10-23-11, 04:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

anything after s1 is shit. and s1 finale is a huge letdown as well.
Old 10-23-11, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ This is the truth.
Lower your expectations before the s1 finale and then stop watching after that one.
Old 10-23-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick with the city season and call it a day. Seasons 2-4 are absolutely awful. Although there were some seeds of good storytelling in those seasons, the writers had no idea how to carry them through. The first season felt like the only one with a singular voice.
Old 10-23-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you seen the thread about "best one-season shows"? If Heroes had ended when it should have, it would be on that list. Don't even bother with S2-4, you'll just get frustrated.
Old 10-23-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread reminds me I need to watch season one again. Haven't done so since it originally aired. I'm the same as most here. I actually totally gave up during season two.
Old 10-23-11, 09:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

When they came back from Season 1, my wife & I thought we'd missed an episode or something. They didn't continue where they'd left off, they started a new story. We were lost, disenchanted, and the rest of the season didn't live up to Season 1. We finally said enough is enough after Season 2 and stopped watching. Now they have seasons 1 through 4 on sale at Target from time to time for $8.99 ea., but I won't allow myself to get dragged into it. Heroes gets a big 'I don't care' from both of us.

The writers really dropped the ball with this series. -kd5-
Old 10-23-11, 09:27 AM
ATX

have any of yall attempted to watch the series since it aired on tv? just curious..

i must be weird or something, but when i went back and watched a long time after the show was over, it wasnt too bad

another clue that i'm weird is the fact that i found season 1 to be the "boringest" to rewatch... yet yall are acting as if it was so great

i actually thought the shortened s2 was pretty decent, and i stuck with it and ran thru s3 and s4 shortly thereafter..

the shit wasn't as terrible as you guys say

---

i mean some of the same people thought shit like Dollhouse was watchable..bwahahah
Old 10-23-11, 10:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

ATX is Tim Kring.
Old 10-23-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd watch up until the season 1 finale but then skip that one and imagine in your mind a good ending. Anything you imagine will be better then what they give you.

That said I would like to go back and watch the entire run and see if it was indeed fatigue from watching live or if it got as bad as I remember.
Old 10-23-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had watched Lost when it aired, I would have given up on it after one season. I watched all 6 in the span of two months. It was very frustrating, but I watched it all and was mildly entertained.

Heroes was a chore to watch after season 1. There were times when I'd have the tv on and start doing something else. It didn't even bother me that I missed 10-20 minutes of the show each week. I was hoping for a completed story, but it was cancelled.

Give it a shot and you might be mildly entertained like I was with Lost.
Old 10-23-11, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't posted on this forum forever, but am posting to tell you to STOP AFTER SEASON 1. The rest are horrid, they really are. Like kd5 said, even buying the later seasons at 8.99 is a waste of money. I watched on television and stopped midway in Season 2 they had gone that far off the mark. It's better to pretend the other seasons don't exist.
Old 10-23-11, 10:33 AM

Season one is by far the best season, but I like all four. Its worth checking out if you havent seen it. who cares if other people don't like it, you might enjoy them. Season two and four are both really good, three is a mess, but still worth watching.
Old 10-23-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched season 1 on HD DVD and stopped there just because of all the bad reviews on later seasons.

Might go back someday but there's so much other stuff to watch (see "Best one-season show ever" thread).
Old 10-23-11, 10:42 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

The best thing about watching after season 1 was the humor of how bad it got...and the reviews that would follow the next on EW.com. Heroes essentially became a laughing stock, and showed what NOT to do with serialized show.
Old 10-23-11, 10:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
have any of yall attempted to watch the series since it aired on tv?
No, I don't make it a habit to rewatch television shows that I didn't enjoy the first time around.
i found season 1 to be the "boringest" to rewatch
I think this sentence alone explains everything else you're posting.
Old 10-23-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Season 1 was good.....but not as good as I feel everyone else thought it was. I feel it was a season that had some really good episodes, a good story arc, but it also came with some slow episodes, with some characters that were not that likable taking up too much of the time.
Old 10-23-11, 12:05 PM
ATX

"most boring"

@ groucho

yeah tru, but the reason i rewatched the series is because at some point during season 3 i got frustrated, missed some episodes, watched partial episodes, got annoyed with the story, etc

i rewatched to see if it was really bad as i thought it was and came to the conclusion that it wasnt

but, then again i am the same person that watched the entire seasons of The Event and V and aint nobody here that can say that Heroes was worst than those 2 shows...
Old 10-23-11, 12:06 PM

Season one was very well done. Season 2 didn't start off too bad, however, the writer strike happened and cut the season short and when they started season three they pretty much disregarded everything that happened in season 2. They kept adding new elements and then forgetting about them causing the rest of the seasons to have endless plot holes. I would say just watch only season one but i'm the kind of person who likes to finish things so i would say watch them all but just lower your expectations for the rest of the seasons.
Old 10-23-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Season 1 was amazing and I even liked the finale and don't agree with the moaning on that. But, everything that follows is a major bummer, though I did like the girl that ran really fast. The ending of season 3, awful awful awful. What were they thinking there? I don't really remember how season 2 ended and I try to blank out as much of season 4 as possible, which to be fair, I barely watched because of my distaste for the ending of season 3.
The writer's strike seemed to really mess the show up. Killed all momentum. Heroes is the perfect example that not all series should go on and on and on. Some stories can be told in 1 or 2 seasons then shut the door.
Old 10-23-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Season 2 was pretty bad. I gave up on it 5 or 6 episodes in.
Old 10-23-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

What everyone else said: stop after S1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.