Old 10-17-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Terra Nova -- "The Runaway" -- 10/17/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When an orphaned "Sixer" girl comes to Terra Nova seeking asylum, Jim and Shannon are at odds if they can trust her; Mira plots to reclaim a valued possession; Taylor begins to suspect there is a traitor in his midst and Reynolds admits his feelings for Maddy in "The Runaway" episode of TERRA NOVA premiering Monday, Oct. 17 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TN-106) (TV-14 L, V)

Read more: Listings - TERRA NOVA on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1b5qqcvjx

Episode 5 of 13
Old 10-17-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terra Nova -- "The Runaway" -- 10/17/11

Well...better than the last couple. At least we got some info on the Sixers. Did they try a large rock to open that box?

There sure don't seem to be many large dinosaurs around though.
Old 10-17-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I spent the entire episode saying where are the freaking dinosaurs.... oh wait theres one, oh that's it? There were more dinosaurs in the preview for the next episode.
Old 10-17-11, 10:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, not many dino's around. Decent episode this week though.
Old 10-18-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

kid should have been named Newt or Rebecca

I loved the raptor trying to jump up and eat Jim

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-18-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm on the cusp of dropping this. I just don't see this show displaying any signs of significant improvement.

The characters are still one-dimensional cliches and there is far too much emphasis on maudlin domestic issues. The potential of this show has been seemingly pissed away to become just a cartoonish Sci-Fi equivalent of Swiss Family Robinson.

I'm genuinely surprised the ratings are holding up.
Old 10-18-11, 04:49 PM

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,812 Posts

I bailed since the baseball game ran long. If it gets a second season...maybe I'll catch up over the summer. I don't wanna waste my time now.
Old 10-18-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy View Post
I'm on the cusp of dropping this. I just don't see this show displaying any signs of significant improvement.

The characters are still one-dimensional cliches and there is far too much emphasis on maudlin domestic issues. The potential of this show has been seemingly pissed away to become just a cartoonish Sci-Fi equivalent of Swiss Family Robinson.

I'm genuinely surprised the ratings are holding up.
Pretty much agree with this, there is obviously some bigger story/mystery there, they need to start getting into that pretty quick. The characters do not seem good enough to carry the show (there is no good Ben/Locke Jack/Sawyer etc Lost-ish type thing going) ... they need to get the plot moving and try to develop the characters and quickly.
Old 10-18-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put this show on hold and will try to follow through these threads.

Poor sci-fi/mysterious shows, from now on all of them are going to be compared, for better or worse, with Lost.
Old 10-18-11, 07:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

awful episode. awful show. awful.
Old 10-18-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 391 Posts

I am done with the show. Several episodes are enough for me to decide these characters and the overall structure of the series is boring. I can just hear in my mind how they pitched this series as if the Jetsons were put into Jurassic Park, but this is strictly vanilla, middle-of-the-road entertainment.

The show would have been much better if they had gone darker and placed the humans in real conflict with the dinosaurs and nature. Instead we got a nonsensical conflict with the Sixers, who might as well be stand-ins for Indians, in the middle of a family drama.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 10-18-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 09:44 PM

It would be better if the dinosaurs would just eat everybody.
Old 10-18-11, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure this was a recycled Star Trek plot also.
Old 10-18-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm betting we never find out the secret the commander is keeping
Old 10-19-11, 09:29 AM

A few observations:

I like the show. It is indeed bad science fiction with acting to match, but the setting is intriguing and I want to see how the underlying mystery/conspiracy is resolved.

I think the dinosaurs are best used for fear and the occasional appearance - more Jaws than Jason. Scary monsters in the darkness are far more intimidating than bad CGI work.

You can make a strong argument that every episode except the pilot has a plot lifted right out of Star Trek, mostly from the original series. If Terra Nova's audience is bigger than Trekkies who know the plots to fifty year old series, then it should be fine - if us aging Trekkies are the entire audience, then they need to change something fast.

In an ideal world, this show would be like Blue Bloods - wrap up the plot in the first season, but keep going with a standard, safe science fiction approach. Presumably the extremely expensive sets are sunk cost, and they would be better off to keep using them, even if Terra Nova becomes Friday night fare.
Old 10-19-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Yeah, not many dino's around. Decent episode this week though.
Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
I spent the entire episode saying where are the freaking dinosaurs.... oh wait theres one, oh that's it? There were more dinosaurs in the preview for the next episode.
To be fair, do you think they would spend gazillions of dollars setting up civilization in a dinosaur hotbed? Not making an excuse, but logically speaking, they would scout out the least dino infested area they could to set up Terra Nova. Not to mention TN seems too self sufficient inside the parameters thus far. They have to keep coming up with reasons to get the characters outside of the fence.

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Pretty much agree with this, there is obviously some bigger story/mystery there, they need to start getting into that pretty quick. The characters do not seem good enough to carry the show (there is no good Ben/Locke Jack/Sawyer etc Lost-ish type thing going) ... they need to get the plot moving and try to develop the characters and quickly.
That's the truth. Dump the family and hand over the reigns to Stephen Lang vs. the Sixers.
Old 10-19-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I'm pretty sure this was a recycled Star Trek plot also.
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
You can make a strong argument that every episode except the pilot has a plot lifted right out of Star Trek, mostly from the original series. If Terra Nova's audience is bigger than Trekkies who know the plots to fifty year old series, then it should be fine - if us aging Trekkies are the entire audience, then they need to change something fast.
Say thanks to Brannon.
Old 10-19-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
I'm betting we never find out the secret the commander is keeping
Maybe this show is really a prequel to The Event.
Old 10-25-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not loving the show, but I keep feeling that it has potential if it would just GET GOING. They need to move that "secret" plot along faster. There's only what, 9 episodes left? I'll probably stick with it, but I hope it picks up speed.