Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead -- 90 Minute Premiere -- "What Lies Ahead" -- 10/16/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- 90 Minute Premiere -- "What Lies Ahead" -- 10/16/11

Old 10-24-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- 90 Minute Premiere -- "What Lies Ahead" -- 10/16/11

has it ever been explained how long zombies "live" without food? If it is has been a few weeks/months where are they getting the people to eat?

I also wonder if the zombies can play possum, and the herd came from inside all those cars they passed?

i wonder if the zombies cannot smell blood, just flesh, so the black dude bleeding was a red herring and doesn't matter. It isn't like once you become a zombie you get the powers of a shark.
Old 10-24-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Short of taking the truck itself, they would be hard pressed to take all that water with them.
Even if that was the case, why waste it? Some other humans could come along and need it.

The thing that annoyed me most was that Rick led the walkers (well, at least one of the two) right down into the creek where the girl was hiding. Why not lead them along the top so they couldn't even have seen her? Seemed like a stupid chance to take for no reason.

On a positive note, Daryl is becoming more likeable.

I mentioned to my wife how the deer could kick the crap out of the kid. Certainly wasn't expecting him to get shot. It should be interesting to find out who fired the shot.
Old 10-25-11, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
has it ever been explained how long zombies "live" without food? If it is has been a few weeks/months where are they getting the people to eat?

I also wonder if the zombies can play possum, and the herd came from inside all those cars they passed?

i wonder if the zombies cannot smell blood, just flesh, so the black dude bleeding was a red herring and doesn't matter. It isn't like once you become a zombie you get the powers of a shark.
I'll give this a try, but I'll have to go by the comics a few times and just assume it applies to the show as well.

has it ever been explained how long zombies "live" without food? No, the comics don't give us a number. But it is suggested they become weaker, slower, and far less alert.

If it is has been a few weeks/months where are they getting the people to eat? There are still millions of people... I think the number is 5,000 to 1 in favor of zombies. Plus, you got animals.

I also wonder if the zombies can play possum, and the herd came from inside all those cars they passed? They do play possum so it is possible. They have a very dim sense of reality so sitting in a car could be comforting since we spend so much of our lives in them. Personally I think it makes more sense that they came from the ditch along the side of the road with the woods 30 feet away, but your guess is as good as mine.

i wonder if the zombies cannot smell blood, just flesh, so the black dude bleeding was a red herring and doesn't matter. It isn't like once you become a zombie you get the powers of a shark. They have no magic sense of smell, but since their eyesight is so poor they rely on smell more. Kirkman says that they should not be thought of as bloodhounds. They know what not to eat, anything smelling like death is ignored (assuming they also make no noise, don't move fast, ect).

Here is what AMC posted:

Zombie Rule #1: Ability to run is based on the amount of time a zombie has been undead, and how much decay has set in.

Zombie Rule #2: Zombies decay but at a much slower rate than humans, and it’s still possible to differentiate between young and old zombies.

Zombie Rule #3: Zombies are like lions: if they’ve eaten, you can walk by them without fear, but a pack of hungry zombies will attack you.

Zombie Rule #4: The quickest speed of any zombie is a shambling run. see Night of the Living Dead. NO sprinters exist.

Zombie Rule #5: Zombies are not dexterous. They cannot pick up or use any items more complex than a rock or a stick.

Zombie Rule #6: Zombies have poor eyesight but they do have a strong sense of smell.

Zombie Rule #7: Zombies cannot speak but can communicate by pack mentality. The herd tends to move together if they sight food.

Zombie Rule #8: There is no overt recognition of people or places, there is a sense of familiarity that can dictate where a zombie moves.

Zombie Rule #9: There’s no known cause of the zombie mutation, but it’s suspected to be a virus or infection.

Zombie Rule #10: Once you’re bitten you’ll die and reanimate as a walker. How long it takes is related to the nature your bite.
Old 10-25-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks, I was wondering this myself...
Old 10-25-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Zombie Rule #5: Zombies are not dexterous. They cannot pick up or use any items more complex than a rock or a stick.
I can't believe this kind of rule changing! In the first episode we saw a little girl zombie pick up a stuffed bunny, which from a design and production standpoint is way more complex than a rock or a stick.

I guess I'll keep watching to laugh at dumb mistakes like this, but they really ruin my enjoyment of the show.

Yes, sarcasm.
Old 10-25-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I can't believe this kind of rule changing! In the first episode we saw a little girl zombie pick up a stuffed bunny, which from a design and production standpoint is way more complex than a rock or a stick.

I guess I'll keep watching to laugh at dumb mistakes like this, but they really ruin my enjoyment of the show.

Yes, sarcasm.
How exactly is it more complex? It's just an object to be picked up.
Old 10-25-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
How exactly is it more complex? It's just an object to be picked up.
A rock or a stick is a naturally occurring thing. A stuffed bunny requires needles, stuffing, textiles and a certain level of skill to come into being. Hence, it is more complex.

My joke, it has failed.
Old 10-25-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
A rock or a stick is a naturally occurring thing. A stuffed bunny requires needles, stuffing, textiles and a certain level of skill to come into being. Hence, it is more complex.

My joke, it has failed.
You know, I was thinking you might be kidding, but since some people do nitpick to that degree, I couldn't be sure.
Old 10-25-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You know, I was thinking you might be kidding, but since some people do nitpick to that degree, I couldn't be sure.
The nitpicking makes these threads almost as entertaining as the show itself.

The new drinking game is watching an episode and trying to figure out what people will bitch about the next day.
Old 10-25-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
The new drinking game is watching an episode and trying to figure out what people will bitch about the next day.
That makes no sense, unless you're doing all your drinking the next day.
Old 10-25-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj
That makes no sense, unless you're doing all your drinking the next day.
Nitpick! Take a drink!

I supposed you could drink every time you thought someone might nitpick something, then take another drink the next day if your guess was right (Assuming you didnt' get too drunk and forget it).
Old 10-25-11, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Written by Ardeth Bey (aka Frank Darabont)

Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton

13 episode 2nd season.

You all know what happened with Frank Darabont, so there's no need to go into that again.
I had no idea I wrote this. No wonder I loved it!