DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   New Arrested Development episodes in the works (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/595162-new-arrested-development-episodes-works.html)

dex14 10-02-11 05:32 PM

New Arrested Development episodes in the works

I just got back from the New Yorker Festivals Arrested Development reunion panel. Mitch Hurwitz said that they wrote so much material to fill in the gaps of what the characters have been up to that the plan is to now to shoot 9 to 10 episodes focusing on one character per episode leading up to the film. Nothing was said about how it would be distributed. They hope to start filming next summer. Also...all the rumors about Michael cera holding out was something that they put out as joke...or so they say.

Drav3n 10-02-11 05:37 PM

Re: New Arrested Development episodes in the works

I just read this on TMZ and was coming to post about this! Hurwitz better not be fucking with us!

DVD Josh 10-02-11 05:44 PM

I would bet these will be webisodes. I doubt they make it to network. MAYBE HBO/Sho.

dex14 10-02-11 05:47 PM

I would think maybe FX might want to air them. Still in the Fox family

nevermind 10-02-11 05:56 PM

Awesome news!

Groucho 10-02-11 05:57 PM

None of this will happen.

0073735963 10-02-11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10948546)
I would bet these will be webisodes. I doubt they make it to network. MAYBE HBO/Sho.

I'd be down for the Home Builders Organization...otherwise it's Showtime baby!

CaptainMarvel 10-02-11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 10948526)
I just got back from the New Yorker Festivals Arrested Development reunion panel. Mitch Hurwitz said that they wrote so much material to fill in the gaps of what the characters have been up to that the plan is to now to shoot 9 to 10 episodes focusing on one character per episode leading up to the film. Nothing was said about how it would be distributed. They hope to start filming next summer. Also...all the rumors about Michael cera holding out was something that they put out as joke...or so they say.

:banana:

Originally Posted by Groucho

:sad:

Dr Mabuse 10-02-11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10948564)

It's all lies!

This whole thing is like the cornered cat that seems to suddenly grow bigger - Trickery! Trickery! Trickery!

Geofferson 10-02-11 07:00 PM

I'll believe it when I see it, but good news regardless.

meritocracy 10-02-11 07:05 PM

I want to believe, but doubt any of this will happen.

dex14 10-02-11 07:24 PM

The cast said they were all committed to doing it.

NORML54601 10-02-11 07:27 PM

I'll believe it when I'm watching them

Michael Corvin 10-02-11 07:30 PM

Like everyone else I'm skeptical but would totally welcome an AD return if it actually comes
to fruition.

Drexl 10-02-11 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10948546)

Maybe one of the streamers (Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc.) will bid for exclusive rights.

T-bone22 10-02-11 08:20 PM

Showtime & Netflix to team with Fox for a new Arrested Development season? Is the movie finally becoming a reality?

Deftones 10-02-11 08:55 PM

this is the greatest news in the history of the world!

DJLinus 10-02-11 08:55 PM

Will Arnett:

I'm peeing with @batemanjason at the moment..and we can confirm that we are going to make new AD eps and a movie
http://twitter.com/#!/arnettwill/sta...20083923001344

Jason Bateman:

It's true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early '13. VERY excited!
http://twitter.com/#!/batemanjason/s...29729819766785

I'm cautiously optimistic.

kstublen 10-02-11 09:46 PM

I've been waiting for more Arrested Development for so long, this is almost too good to be true.

And honestly, it might turn out to be exactly just that. Keep in mind, that after Arrested Development it wasn't like Hurwitz was turning out quality programing; Sit Down, Shut Up and Running Wilde anyone?

Double_Oh_7 10-02-11 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10948564)

I agree. This all has been a giant meta-joke by the producers.

Matthew Chmiel 10-02-11 10:53 PM

It's taken seven years to get somewhat of an answer out of Hurwitz? Don't get me wrong as I'm excited, but aren't we past the prime of when this should've happened? It's taken what? Two failed television series for Hurwitz to think about moving forward?

Not to tug on the cock of Whedon, but Serenity was playing in theaters less than three years after Firefly's swift cancellation. The show averaged more viewers than Arrested Development's third season on air. The show moved over one million units domestically on both DVD and Blu-ray. Whedon and company even made the film accessible to those who never saw a single second of the television show.

So, what happened?

The film bombed. It pulled in $25 million domestically and $13 million internationally (as it was released direct-to-DVD in most non-English speaking territories). That was on a budget of $40 million prior to prints and advertising. While DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray sales were huge, it wasn't enough to move forward with future outings. Universal made their money back, but it wasn't enough to continue the franchise. Long story short: the fans came out, but nobody else did. This story will happen again with Arrested Development.

Again, I'm excited, but still skeptical of this actually happening and even more skeptical if Hurwitz still has it in him to put out a quality product. I saw Sit Down, Shut Up and Running Wilde. They both sucked.

If this is true and they're planning a 2013 release? Really? They need to fast track this and not wait.

Drexl 10-02-11 11:07 PM

Just think of Hurwitz returning to AD like Peter Jackson returning to Tolkien and disregard what he did in the interim.

Matthew Chmiel 10-02-11 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10948993)
Just think of Hurwitz returning to AD like Peter Jackson returning to Tolkien and disregard what he did in the interim.

Peter Jackson made good movies after Heavenly Creatures?

slop101 10-03-11 12:36 AM

tenaciousdave 10-03-11 12:43 AM

http://i.imgur.com/UFi1o.jpg