Old 10-02-11, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,444 Posts
The Amazing Race 19 -- "The Spirit of our Life" -- 10/02/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-25

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When Racers discover that for the first time in THE AMAZING RACE history there is a double elimination, they are forced to step up their game. However, costly mistakes jeopardize multiple teams' chances at staying in the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Oct. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Emmy Award nominee Phil Keoghan is the host.

Read more: Listings - AMAZING RACE, THE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1ZcQcKzRP

Last week it only affected a few markets in the East, but this week it affects everyone in the East. National NFL double header on CBS. Pad your DVRs if you live in the East.
Old 10-02-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race 19 -- "The Spirit of our Life" -- 10/02/11

terrible speedbump .. actually insulting to previous teams who had to lose all their money or do an actual speed bump involving going to a secondary location.
The old couple should not have taken the place of one of the two that went. To be fair, every one had a chance but most did not read the little clue at the orphanage.
Old 10-02-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I was so shocked to watch one of the teams that went home. Totally did not expect that. And that speed bump was an absolute joke. I mean come on! But I must say after all these years, Amazing Race still has me at the edge of my seat. I just love this show!
Old 10-02-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler tags for the W. Coasters:

5 minutes before it happened, I said out loud:
Spoiler:
"Watch, the two skateboard dimwits are going to do exactly what they're supposed to do."

That'll teach me not to judge every book by it's cover.

And yes, not happy about one of the eliminations. I was rooting for them.
Spoiler:
Ethan and his girlfriend. I followed his blog in People magazine and he went through hell, not once, but twice.
Old 10-02-11, 09:12 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah, the two "dumb" teams were the ones who read the sign. Also the father/son.
Old 10-02-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It seemed like the teams that didn't hand over all their money knew their mistake before Phil told them. What gives?

And since when do the teams not see each other at the pit stop? None of them knew who might have been eliminated. I thought they all pretty much stayed together during the rest period.
Old 10-02-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, the two "dumb" teams were the ones who read the sign. Also the father/son.
Why does everybody think Snowboarders are dumb? Do you think Shaun White is dumb? Although I must confess even I didn't expect them to read the sign
Old 10-02-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
It seemed like the teams that didn't hand over all their money knew their mistake before Phil told them. What gives?

And since when do the teams not see each other at the pit stop? None of them knew who might have been eliminated. I thought they all pretty much stayed together during the rest period.
It did seem like the teams knew. Well, the first team didn't and maybe they told the next team coming along, but I think they would have shown something like that.

They stopped allowing the teams to see each other in between legs sometime not long after the All-Stars season. I think they do it to encourage more friction between the teams like they had with that war of bitchiness that swallowed up nearly all the teams in season 16. It pretty much sucks.
Old 10-02-11, 11:37 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
Why does everybody think Snowboarders are dumb?
Maybe not dumb...but "impaired".
Old 10-02-11, 11:43 PM

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts

I liked the trick idea, but not necessarily the execution of it.

I don't remember, but did it say you must give all your money on the clue? The clue is always the definitive thing on this show, yet they place a sign (without any race colors) on the table. Sure, it's there, but I didn't like the execution of it.

EDIT: hell yea Kaylani!

Last edited by MLBFan24; 10-02-11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if I was a part of one of the eliminated teams. The sign said they'd get the clue in exchange for all their money, but they all received the clue without incident.

Of course, nobody's going to bitch about the orphanage lady screwing it all up.
Old 10-03-11, 12:39 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I recall correctly, the sign read turn over all the money in your possession and you'll be rewarded with a clue. So technically, why were those who didn't still get a clue? Wonder how long it would have taken them to realize why they weren't handed a clue?
Old 10-03-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Maybe not dumb...but "impaired".
Yes, well, that's a given.
Old 10-03-11, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the big train View Post
They stopped allowing the teams to see each other in between legs sometime not long after the All-Stars season. I think they do it to encourage more friction between the teams like they had with that war of bitchiness that swallowed up nearly all the teams in season 16. It pretty much sucks.
Ah, I thought no one else knew the grandparents were there because they showed up SEVEN hours later than everyone else and they were all sleeping.
Old 10-03-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts

So much for Ethan and Jenna being some super team.

The sign said they'd get the clue in exchange for all their money, but they all received the clue without incident.
I guess I wasn't the only one confused by that. Although I suppose the orphanage had no idea how much money they could have.
Old 10-03-11, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't fault the orphanage. They're not there to hold the contestant's hand. It's the player's fault for not noticing the sign and turning in all their money. Yes, the producers are being sneaky but it's their show, their rules. Everyone was subjected to the same test.
As for the knots, it wasn't so bad because the old couple moved their tushes to get there "first." They had built up extra time to do the speedbump. If they came later in the pack, I think having to undo all those knots first would have been pretty sucky.
Old 10-03-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't dude me, dude.

Best line ever.
Old 10-03-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby View Post
And yes, not happy about one of the eliminations. I was rooting for them.
Spoiler:
Ethan and his girlfriend. I followed his blog in People magazine and he went through hell, not once, but twice.
Spoiler:
I know that they don't rig the show as I've seen too many favorites lose, and too many teams I don't care for win, but these two were really the only reason I was watching and I'm shocked they're out so early. I'm a HUGE Ethan fan from his Survivor days and have followed his health woes during the last few years. Guess they're no Rob and Amber, though.
Old 10-03-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the big train View Post
It did seem like the teams knew. Well, the first team didn't and maybe they told the next team coming along, but I think they would have shown something like that.
Definitely. All teams seem to know that they had to go back. I wonder if once they left the orphanage, they were told they had to go to the pit stop before going back.
Old 10-03-11, 02:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
So much for Ethan and Jenna being some super team.

I guess I wasn't the only one confused by that. Although I suppose the orphanage had no idea how much money they could have.
apparently 35,000-50,000 Indonesian Rupiah is about $4-5 US. I think that is how much the teams needed to collect at the detour. Donating $5 to an orphanage is not really impressive especially being filmed on a television show. The teams should have realized something was weird with that. I am glad that the clues (no clue box this year?) are slightly harder to decipher instead of go here/pick up this clue, go here, etc.
Old 10-03-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The episode title had me scratching my head, it's supposed to be "Sprint" not "Spirit".
Old 10-03-11, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
Definitely. All teams seem to know that they had to go back. I wonder if once they left the orphanage, they were told they had to go to the pit stop before going back.
I'd believe that and feel that's fair. Sort of unfair for the first team to get the bad news and turn around with everyone they pass asking why they're headed back.
Old 10-04-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts

I believe that the teams that correctly gave all their money to the orphanage received not only that decorative clue, but a written one, also. Other teams probably had to ask for the belt buckle looking thing to be translated.

Of all the years of TAR and still no team reads stuff thoroughly.
Old 10-04-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 133 Posts

Regarding the need to pad the DVRs this week, for some reason mine recorded a 90-minute episode. Since the show started 20 something minutes late, it didn't cost me. And I just checked the DVR and it's set for 8-9:30 again next Sunday.