Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New Cable Net Coming? All Simpsons. All the time.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"As the hit series "The Simpsons" approaches its 500th episode, executives over at Fox have been toying with the idea of creating a 24-hour channel solely dedicated to America's favorite dysfunctional nuclear family.

Chase Carey, News Corp's chief operating officer, first hinted at the possible scheme at a media conference in L.A. last week, the Los Angeles Times reports.

As the show prepares for its 23rd season, Carey said it has no plans to slow down.

But he didn't stop there. According to Forbes, at another conference in New York later that week, Carey emphasized how the show's unique brand presents a huge opportunity if they are to capitalize on the program's full library.

"The point I was making, which I will reemphasize, is that this is a unique franchise...and it provides us a unique opportunity to do some interesting things with it," he said. "The Simpsons" has been on the air for 23 seasons, yielding a library of programming few series could ever amass.

For those die-hard Simpsons fans out there, don't get too excited. Even if Fox could pull off a channel only devoted to the iconic show, Carey noted that syndication agreements already in place would prevent it from happening in the next 12 months."

Huffington Post

If you got some real Simpsons fans to program this network - which I don't think would be too hard to find in the cable network industry - with the amount of episodes and depth of their universe, they could do some pretty cool stunts and marathons.

A 10-hour Treehouse of Horror marathon Halloween night? Spotlight on Swartzwelder? Episodes featuring band / musician appearances? Episodes with commentaries weeknights at 7p?
Old 09-25-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: New Cable Net Coming? All Simpsons. All the time.

Ohhhh
Old 09-25-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see this lasting.
Now if each week they were to show the entire run (or several seasons) of a different show constantly, I'd be more tempted to check it out. But that probably wouldn't last either.
Old 09-26-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I like The Simpsons but this doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Now maybe if Fox was considering a network that would play all of their animated series from over the years this could work. All Simpsons all the time would get old fast though.
Old 09-26-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It would have to have other animated shows, not just the Simpsons.
Old 09-26-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most people would hate this, but screw it, I'm all for it. I'd even love if they went all out and did other shows on such a network based on the minor characters. Sorta like how the Simpsons series has done here and there, especially like the episode 100 Stories, or something like that. I'd watch every bit of it.
Old 09-26-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm interested, but I know eventually it would just turn into reality TV series and wrestling shows.
Old 09-26-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm interested, but I know eventually it would just turn into reality TV series and wrestling shows.
That's exactly what I was going to post.
Old 09-26-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I really don't see the point of this. At least 8 hours a day will be infomercials. The rest will probably be a four hour block (8 shows) repeated for each time zone. Not counting themes (treehouse of terror, christmas programming) they'll burn through the complete run every two months. It might be fun for a while, but it'll get old even faster than syndication.
Old 09-26-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah but nobody is going to watch the channel 24/7. So even if they do burn through the episodes, the average person will probably only see a few of them at a time. This could be a good idea, if they could produce shows "about" the show, that could be cool as well. So a show that would dedicate some time to the actors, behind the scenes, etc.