Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Unforgettable -- Poppy Montgomery has a good memory -- Premiered 9/20/11 (CBS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Synopsis:

UNFORGETTABLE stars Poppy Montgomery as Carrie Wells, an enigmatic former police detective with a rare condition that makes her memory so flawless that every place, every conversation, every moment of joy and every heartbreak is forever embedded in her mind. It's not just that she doesn't forget anything - she can't; except for one thing: the details that would help solve her sister's long-ago murder. Carrie has tried to put her past behind her, but she's unexpectedly reunited with her ex-boyfriend and partner, NYPD Detective Al Burns (Dylan Walsh), when she consults on a homicide case. His squad includes Det. Mike Costello (Michael Gaston), Al's right-hand man; Detective Roe Saunders (Kevin Rankin), the junior member of the team; and Detective Nina Inara (Daya Vaidya), a sassy, street-smart cop. Being back on the job after a break feels surprisingly right for Carrie. Despite her conflicted feelings for Al, she decides to permanently join his unit as a detective solving homicides - most notably, the unsolved murder of her sister. All she needs to do is remember. Ed Redlich, John Bellucci, Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly are executive producers for Sony Television Studios in association with CBS Television Studios.
Starring:

Poppy Montgomery (Without a Trace)
Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck)
Michael Gaston (Jericho)
Kevin Rankin (Trauma)

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WNRW3DKYqf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did anyone watch this the other night? I caught this last night and it was alright. Nicely produced procedural with hot Poppy Montgomery as the lead. I think she looks good as a red head.

Got some really great ratings 14M viewers in a brutal timeslot against Body of Proof and Parenthood. This condition that Poppy's character has is actually real. It's a different kind of procedural. I know there is a crap ton of shows/procedurals this Fall, but I think this is something you can casually watch without making it appointment TV. It was good to see Dylan Walsh again, although the backstory of his character's relationship with Carrie was a little thin.

I'm not a New Yorker, but is there really a Syracuse PD?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-30-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Unforgettable -- Poppy Montgomery has a good memory -- Premiered 9/20/11 (CBS)

I liked it but the plot on the pilot was really really thin.

Poppy Montgomery is unforgettable, but I sure can't remember were I have seen her before. Never saw Without a trace.

She has an unusual look. Not a beauty but she has something about her that makes her attractive, a uniqueness.
Might be the complexion or skin color mixed with the red hair.

Anyway I'll take another look next week.
Old 09-22-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Unforgettable -- Poppy Montgomery has a good memory -- Premiered 9/20/11 (CBS)

Originally Posted by whotony
I liked it but the plot on the pilot was really really thin.

Poppy Montgomery is unforgettable, but I sure can't remember were I have seen her before. Never saw Without a trace.

She has an unusual look. Not a beauty but she has something about her that makes her attractive, a uniqueness.
Might be the complexion or skin color mixed with the red hair.

Anyway I'll take another look next week.
I agree, it was entertaining, but the plot of the Pilot was really thin and they didn't do a very good job introducing Carrie.

Poppy Montgomery is best known for Without a Trace, which lasted 7 seasons and she was a blonde back then.
Old 09-22-11, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't make it til the end. I deleted it after 40 minutes or so and cancelled recording the series. The last time I did that to a premier episode was The Mentalist so this should be the runaway new hit of the year. <smirk>
Old 09-22-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it and still have it set to record weekly. The condition is real, but it's stretched and dramatized for TV, which is fine by me.
Old 09-23-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i enjoyed it for what it was. i take it this will be a straight procedual where every week, she'll find a way to solve crimes using her memory condition
Old 09-23-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also its worth pointing out that the director of the swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" Niels Arden Oplev directed the pilot
Old 09-23-11, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i enjoyed it for what it was. i take it this will be a straight procedual where every week, she'll find a way to solve crimes using her memory condition
Yes, this will pretty much be a straight forward procedural. I hope they mix up how she uses her memory condition to solve these crimes. I take it she's going to be a Consultant for the NYPD and there will be some tension with her ex boyfriend Al each week.
Old 09-23-11, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes, this will pretty much be a straight forward procedural. I hope they mix up how she uses her memory condition to solve these crimes. I take it she's going to be a Consultant for the NYPD and there will be some tension with her ex boyfriend Al each week.
well if it ends up being easy to follow and likeable characters, i can see this def being a big hit for CBS
Old 09-23-11, 12:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't this just Monk or Body of Proof or any number of other detective with a quirk procedurals. I deleted it from my DVR.
Old 09-23-11, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So who took the picture off the wall that started the whole memory thing?
Old 09-23-11, 04:37 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i watched half of it and that was it
Old 09-24-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbearable. She's a human DVR super cop solving crimes the dopey NYPD would never be able to solve.

I mean, no investigation would canvas a crime scene, say in a 10 foot radius, looking for a murder weapon. No way they could have found that drain without her super memory.
Old 09-25-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Watched, liked it. Good thing that I was flipping channels when CBS was doing their fall preview and this show caught my interest.
Old 09-25-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Ehhh. THis is one of those not terrible, but not exactly the best thing since sliced bread type shows. poppy was definitely easy on the eyes. The red hair adds to her appeal, but she has this weird thing going on with the left side of her face. Sort of like she had a stroke or soemthing, but her left side of her mouth is visibly higher than the right. her teeth are too. One of those thing sthat once you notice, you cant see anything else.
I thought it was an interesting premise as far as having someone with this condition being a cop. Not sure how they are going to work a full series without getting repetitive. The only reason it worked in this case, was because Carrie had prior knowledge of the victim and had been in the apartment and was a witness. All things that she wouldnt have jsut being a cop assigned the case. I liken this to the non cop partnered with a cop type shows. Bones, Castle, Mentalist, etc. Bones and Castle seem to work because of the sexual tension between the leads. To a certain extent the Mentalist does as well. Unforgettable tried to build that tension by giving the leads a hsitory, but it felt pushed and unconvincing. maybe just a slow start, but I remember thinking the same thing after the pilots of Bones and Castle. I will check out a couple more episodes before I give up.
Old 09-25-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The red hair draws attention to the issue with the non-symmetry of the left side of her mouth/teeth, when she was a blonde on Without a Trace, it wasn't as noticeable.
Old 09-25-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That could be it when I mentioned there was something unusual about her look but couldnt pinpoint it.
She almost seems sad on one side and normal on the other side of her face.

I've seen at least two other actors that had and odd symmetry on their face. Shannon Doherty, who was parodied on Family Guy on her eye trying to escape her face and if anyone watches Soaps, Tristan Rogers who is Robert Scorpio on GH looks like one side of his face is longer than the other.
Old 09-25-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sylvester Stallone has palsy on one side of his face, which gives him that droopy look at times.
Old 09-25-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The red hair draws attention to the issue with the non-symmetry of the left side of her mouth/teeth, when she was a blonde on Without a Trace, it wasn't as noticeable.
That could be it when I mentioned there was something unusual about her look but couldnt pinpoint it.
She almost seems sad on one side and normal on the other side of her face.

I've seen at least two other actors that had and odd symmetry on their face. Shannon Doherty, who was parodied on Family Guy on her eye trying to escape her face and if anyone watches Soaps, Tristan Rogers who is Robert Scorpio on GH looks like one side of his face is longer than the other.
Originally Posted by Patman
Sylvester Stallone has palsy on one side of his face, which gives him that droopy look at times.
Whatever it is, it is very off putting. It almost looks like she has had a stroke, and has lost control of one side of her face.
Doherty was 10 times worse though. That one eye was way off almost on the side of her head.
Old 09-25-11, 10:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I beleive she did in fact have Bell's Palsey when young - it is a fairly serious condition and probably should not be laughed at.
Old 02-11-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they just added their "Red John". I wonder if they are going to tie him to her sister's murder.
Old 02-11-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Red John?
Old 02-11-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Red John?
It's a new multi-episode story arc similar to Red John. If you have no clue who Red John is, he's a recurring serial killer on The Mentalist.
Old 02-11-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every episode. I guess that this is the code name for whoever she is trying to remember from her childhood?
Old 02-11-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I have never watched the Mentalist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.