Old 09-22-11, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Person of Interest -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/22/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
PERSON OF INTEREST stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson and Academy Award nominated and current Emmy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent who teams up with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese's special training in covert operations appeals to Finch, a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law using Reese's adept skills and Finch's unlimited wealth to unravel the mystery of the person of interest and stop the crime before it happens. Reese's actions draw the attention of the NYPD, including homicide detective Carter, and Fusco, a cop whom Reese uses to his advantage. With infinite crimes to investigate, Reese and Finch find that the right person, with the right information, at the right time, can change everything. J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Jonathan Nolan, David Semel and Greg Plageman are executive producers for Warner Bros. Television.

Read more: Listings - PERSON OF INTEREST on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1Yfu90iFi

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCM14jNOYcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Created by Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight)
Produced by JJ Abrams

Starring:
Michael Emerson (Lost)
Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ)
Taraji P. Henson
Old 09-22-11, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/22/11

Hard to go wrong with Ben and Jesus.
Old 09-22-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give this a shot.
Old 09-22-11, 09:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

even tho I think Jim Caviezel is as bland as Wonder Bread, the premise has me intrigued. I'm going to check it out.
Old 09-22-11, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the few shows I'm looking forward to. I'll tune in.
Old 09-22-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I rarely check out brand new shows, but I'm curious about this one.
Old 09-22-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I will check this out.
Old 09-22-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVR is set, I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-22-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not really a fan of Caviezel, although I did like him on Frequency. There is probably hundreds of other TV actors they could have cast who have more personality.

The premise is really cool and I like Emerson as the guy with the money calling all the shots. Plus, the creative team behind this show is also a strong selling point.
Old 09-22-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love the premise and the cast. DVR is ready to go.
Old 09-22-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I'm not really a fan of Caviezel, although I did like him on Frequency. There is probably hundreds of other TV actors they could have cast who have more personality.

The premise is really cool and I like Emerson as the guy with the money calling all the shots. Plus, the creative team behind this show is also a strong selling point.
I was going to comment in the Revernge pilot thread how you seemed to be getting testy that people weren't interested in the show. Then you seem voice a disdain for some involved with this show.

Anyway, I don't think I've seen Caviezel in anything except Frequency. I did enjoy the film and him in that. However, the reviews I've read for the pilot are that he's the weakest part. I didn't get the sense that his acting was bad, but that he just comes off as cold. Maybe that's intended for the character in the script?

Anyway, DVR set to check this out. EDIT: Was going to - massive DVR conflict tonight!!

Last edited by Superman07; 09-22-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I was going to comment in the Revernge pilot thread how you seemed to be getting testy that people weren't interested in the show. Then you seem voice a disdain for some involved with this show.

Anyway, I don't think I've seen Caviezel in anything except Frequency. I did enjoy the film and him in that. However, the reviews I've read for the pilot are that he's the weakest part. I didn't get the sense that his acting was bad, but that he just comes off as cold. Maybe that's intended for the character in the script?

Anyway, DVR set to check this out.
All I said here was I wasn't really a fan of Jim Caviezel. He comes across as very stiff....although I think that might work for this character he's playing. I am attracted to this show because of the premise, Emerson, Abrams and Nolan. And I wasn't intending to be testy with you. You were indecisive and probably don't really have the time and patience, so that's fine. I got no qualms with that.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-22-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is on the top of my list of shows I want to see this season.

Emerson as Mr.Finch has an interesting but of body language. He seems to have something going on with his right side he limps on his rt leg and doesn't turn his kneck to the right, arm looks weird too they way it hangs to his side.

Edited to say that his limp might be his left leg, I can't tell.

Anyhow. It's looks good so far. Seems like a take on the Hackman movie The Conversation.

Btw what was that thing that was used to poke a hole through a car door window? All he didnwas press it to the window and it snapped.

Last edited by whotony; 09-22-11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff.
Old 09-22-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was great. Well written and well acted. I thought Caviziel was great and certainly plays an intriguing character. I'll be watching more of this.
Old 09-22-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The character kinda reminds me of Jack Reacher from the Lee Child book series.
Old 09-23-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decent enough start. Ending with the server farm was a bit cheesy, and they telegraphed the ADA being in on it, but other than that mostly free of eyeroll-inducing material. Hopefully they keep "the machine" fairly in the background because whenever Hollywood tries to do tech/software it ends up being idiotic (e.g. CabinetVote 2.0). I have no problem with Caviezel being a bit wooden--I think it works well in this role.

Emerson did well, as we pretty much all expected. Not sure how they'll pull off him supposedly being dead on paper while leading a billionaire's lifestyle, but it's good enough for now.
Old 09-23-11, 01:31 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Btw what was that thing that was used to poke a hole through a car door window? All he didnwas press it to the window and it snapped.
A fancy version of the old
Window Punch Emergency Car Window Breaker ?
Old 09-23-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like that A) they're not flawless. The "Client" turned out to be the bad guy, er...girl. B) Jesus is seriously cold-blooded. They're not afraid to make their hero a hard-ass killer.
Old 09-23-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Excellent Pilot. I think this was probably one of the coolest new procedural Pilots I've seen in a long time. Good writing by Nolan and even good acting by Caviezel as Reese and Emerson as Mr. Finch.

The way it sounded, the Reese character experienced some major trauma in his life (I assume his girlfriend in the flashbacks died) and he's literally a walking dead man. So acting-wise, I thought Caviezel did Reese justice.

That was a pretty cool reveal that Natalie Zea's character was actually the villain. But, It did become obvious when she went to the alley.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reese is blackmailing Detective Fusco because he murdered that dirty Cop with his gun and dumped the body right? Now Fusco has no choice but be his Inside Man. Loved it when he pulled out the smoke grenade and caused the car to flip.

I liked at the end when Finch said to Reese if you stay one of us will probably end up dead.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-11 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-23-11, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ratings-wise, I'm predicting 15-17M viewers and 4.5 in the demos.
Old 09-23-11, 06:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Damm i was looking forward to this show, then i find out that git from Lost is in it playing the same stupid puppetmaster character
Old 09-23-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by firteen88 View Post
I thought it was great. Well written and well acted. I thought Caviziel was great and certainly plays an intriguing character. I'll be watching more of this.
even good acting by Caviezel as Reese and Emerson as Mr. Finch.
I came out with a totally different opinion. Emerson was decent but as Desmond mentioned, it's just Ben Linus transposed into a new setting.

Caviezel was a fucking snooze. The action scenes were fucking great, but everything else he did was awful. He was way to stoic. I mean, playing a character as stoic is one thing, it's another to look completely disinterested in the job you are doing as an actor. Hell he couldn't even smile in the flashback scenes. He looked like he'd rather be doing anything than working on this show. Talk about a one note performance. It really took me out of it.

The premise and writing were solid though, so I'll give it another chance or two.
Old 09-23-11, 08:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I keep wanting to call this show "Persons Unknown" :shudder:
Old 09-23-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent Pilot. I think this was probably one of the coolest new procedural Pilots I've seen in a long time. Good writing by Nolan and even good acting by Caviezel as Reese and Emerson as Mr. Finch.

The way it sounded, the Reese character experienced some major trauma in his life (I assume his girlfriend in the flashbacks died) and he's literally a walking dead man. So acting-wise, I thought Caviezel did Reese justice.

That was a pretty cool reveal that Natalie Zea's character was actually the villain. But, It did become obvious when she went to the alley.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reese is blackmailing Detective Fusco because he murdered that dirty Cop with his gun and dumped the body right? Now Fusco has no choice but be his Inside Man. Loved it when he pulled out the smoke grenade and caused the car to flip.

I liked at the end when Finch said to Reese if you stay one of us will probably end up dead.
Yeah this show had a very promising start. And I love how Caviezel is playing a cold hardass.

It was cool to see Bill Sadler again after so many years. What's the last thing he was in? The Mist?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.