Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry's Law -- The 2nd Season (DEK's Politics still live) -- Premieres 9/21/11 (NBC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harry's Law -- The 2nd Season (DEK's Politics still live) -- Premieres 9/21/11 (NBC)

Old 09-21-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-21

Synopsis for Hosanna Roseanna

Harry (Kathy Bates), against her better judgment, agrees to defend Eric Sanders (Alfred Molina), a man accused of savagely killing his wife. She takes the case at the request of Oliver Richard (Mark Valley) - a hot-shot attorney from the very firm that fired her the previous year. The extremely high-profile case brings Harry toe-to-toe with the head honcho herself, D.A. Roseanna Remmick (Jean Smart). Meanwhile, new associate Cassie Reynolds (Karen Olivo) represents an artist whose painting was unceremoniously altered by the purchaser. Elsewhere, Tommy Jefferson (Christopher McDonald), forces his way into sharing Harry's new office space and pursues a box store giant, vying to be their local counsel in a huge class action lawsuit. Nate Corddry and Brittany Snow also star.

Read more: Listings - HARRY'S LAW on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1YdMZJrLB

I know one Lawyer in this forum who won't be watching this again.

Cast Changes:

Out: Aml Ameen (Malcolm), Brittany Snow (Jenna) -- Will be leaving soon

In: Chris McDonald (Tommy Jefferson, now a series regular), Mark Valley (formerly of Human Target), Karen Olivo (playing a new associate)

I slogged through the last few episodes on Hulu a few months ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to watch season 2, but I really like bringing in McDonald as a regular and Mark Valley is cool since he's worked with DEK before.
Old 09-21-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Harry's Law -- The 2nd Season (DEK's Politics still live) -- Premieres 9/21/11 (N

Looking forward to this. Not so sad about the departing two.
Old 09-22-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Harry's Law -- The 2nd Season (DEK's Politics still live) -- Premieres 9/21/11 (N

So were Jenna & Malcolm in this episode last night? I assumed that they wouldn't be back at all, but I guess that isn't the case?
Old 09-22-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jenna had 3 lines that went something like "Harry, X is here to see you".

The downstairs office was ignored.

And little explanation was given what the fuck happened. Total mess.
Old 09-23-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Malcolm was mentioned in passing that he was busy studying.

Brittany Snow was once again worthless. Why couldn't DEK just have written her out in the offseason like she got a new job or something? She's cute as hell, but DEK obviously didn't know how to write for her and make her character interesting.

I had no idea that Harry's office/shoe store had a 2nd floor. Interesting that she's now working so closely with Tommy.

This story looks like it will be a multi-episode arc. I like Alfred Molina, but would have preferred a 2nd season of Law and Order LA than a guest starring role on this show. Overall it was alright. Not a bad start. Mark Valley is a nice addition and his character is kind of similar to Brad on Boston Legal.

It was cool the new associate Cassie stayed professional and wasn't tempted to date that guy.

at Harry saying..."Go get my gun" when she was getting arrested.
Old 09-24-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

This was easily the best episode of this series yet. Getting rid of the superfluous characters helps. The new a-hole prosecutor is great -- a DEK staple.
Old 10-11-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/harr...ipts/#comments

I know not many people are watching this here, but some good news. NBC ordered 6 additional scripts. Season 2 currently only has a 13 episode order. That basically means the suits want to see what stories they come up with if they give this a full season.

According to this story, the live ratings are horrible at 1.2, but the DVR playback actually helps and bumps it up to 1.7.
Old 10-11-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus the show skews old. Major old.
Old 10-12-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't even realise season two started. Last month, no less.
Old 05-27-12, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Series Finale aired tonight. It certainly wasn't DEK best show, but I'll still miss it anyway. The characters were starting to grow on me and there was some pretty good episodes in season 2.

Loved that tonight's final episode including several actors from DEK previous shows (Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, the Pratice and Boston Legal). Since Picket Fences is my favorite DEK show, I loved the Picket Fences reference with Kelly Connel playing another coroner and getting in the word "semen" into the conversation as his character on Picket Fences always did.

Hopefully DEK will come back soon with another legal drama.
Old 05-27-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it was the series finale? That's a shame. I was hoping the Dish Network guide made a mistake.

I enjoyed it but it felt more like a season finale than a series finale. Any chance another network might pick it up?
Old 05-27-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

no. The demos were very old for this show even though it was NBC's second highest rated drama in total viewers.
Old 05-28-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see this one go ....... hopefully a DVD release will happen.
Old 05-28-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Johnny Fever View Post
Series Finale aired tonight. It certainly wasn't DEK best show, but I'll still miss it anyway. The characters were starting to grow on me and there was some pretty good episodes in season 2.

Loved that tonight's final episode including several actors from DEK previous shows (Picket Fences, Ally McBeal, the Pratice and Boston Legal). Since Picket Fences is my favorite DEK show, I loved the Picket Fences reference with Kelly Connel playing another coroner and getting in the word "semen" into the conversation as his character on Picket Fences always did.

Hopefully DEK will come back soon with another legal drama.
Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Sorry to see this one go ....... hopefully a DVD release will happen.

I agree - not his best show, but very entertaining. I don't think Picket Fences will ever be topped (god, I've been dying to see DVD releases beyond S1). But this season was probably my favorite of any of the shows he's done since Picket Fences. So much better than S1. He really seemed to be drifting toward libertarianism. The rants were almost all anti-big-government. I really enjoyed the characters on this show. Plus it featured some very attractive women. Always a plus.

What's annoying is that this gets scrapped because of the absurd 18-49 mentality (and I loved how they took a potshot at that in one of the previous eps) and some network will pick up another legal show of his in 2 or 3 years. Such a waste.

Final thought - so is Cassie black or not?
Old 05-28-12, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Plus it featured some very attractive women. Always a plus.
Agreed. Plus it helps makes up for Kathy Bates. I'm still holding a grudge because of About Schmidt

What's annoying is that this gets scrapped because of the absurd 18-49 mentality (and I loved how they took a potshot at that in one of the previous eps) and some network will pick up another legal show of his in 2 or 3 years. Such a waste.
Agreed. Paying for programming (aka cable TV) should have fixed that but the cable networks seem to care about the demos as much as the OTA networks.

Funny thing is I'm in that 18-49 demo and Harry's Law was my favourite one hour drama on cable or otherwise.

Final thought - so is Cassie black or not?
She's hot so I don't care.
Old 05-28-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wz42 View Post
Funny thing is I'm in that 18-49 demo and Harry's Law was my favourite one hour drama on cable or otherwise.
This.
Old 05-28-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

She's hot so I don't care.
Yeah - she is a gorgeous woman. It's funny because at first they were arguing about affirmative action and made it seem like she was black and my reaction was -- really, she's black? I never even thought about it.

Then he said she wasn't black, so that confused me even more.

And I'm still in the key demo too -- for 8 more years. I guess I stop spending money after that. Even though I (hope) will have more money than ever at that point.
Old 05-28-12, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah - she is a gorgeous woman. It's funny because at first they were arguing about affirmative action and made it seem like she was black and my reaction was -- really, she's black? I never even thought about it.

Then he said she wasn't black, so that confused me even more.
She could have been really tanned white but with that convo you referenced I got the gist that she was either biracial or another race that looks like they could be black or white.

Either way I embrace hotties of all races.

If only the Muslim hotties would stop wearing those damned sheets.

And I'm still in the key demo too -- for 8 more years. I guess I stop spending money after that. Even though I (hope) will have more money than ever at that point.
Although I'm sure it's true those above 50 are likely smarter on how they spend their money they also, as you say, should have more of it to spend so I'm not sure what's up with that 50+ not mattering despite Harry's Law being a hit.

This just proves that the over 50 crowd doesn't matter to the TV industry.

Perhaps if they started cancelling cable and buying shows that cater to them on disc (like Curb Your Enthusiasm that stars a senior) the market would realize they matter.

Last edited by wz42; 05-28-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmmmm. The write-up my guide had was for a rerun....
Old 05-28-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She could have been really tanned white but with that convo you referenced I got the gist that she was either biracial or another race that looks like they could be black or white.

Either way I embrace hotties of all races.

If only the Muslim hotties would stop wearing those damned sheets.

Although I'm sure it's true those above 50 are likely smarter on how they spend their money they also, as you say, should have more of it to spend so I'm not sure what's up with that 50+ not mattering despite Harry's Law being a hit.

This just proves that the over 50 crowd doesn't matter to the TV industry.

Perhaps if they started cancelling cable and buying shows that cater to them on disc (like Curb Your Enthusiasm that stars a senior) the market would realize they matter.
Advertisers don't care about those over 50. /end
Old 05-28-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by N2DVD View Post
Hmmmm. The write-up my guide had was for a rerun....
The finale was originally supposed to air Sunday the 20th, but once it got axed, they pushed it back to a non-sweeps day, which was last night. I'm guessing your DVR didn't catch the change in time and assumed it was a repeat.

There is no DVD release for this show. Season 1 didn't even get a release. Probably the best you can expect is a MOD release, but that's doubtful.
Old 05-28-12, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Advertisers don't care about those over 50. /end
I wouldn't disagree. But I'd contend that's a mistake. Even beyond that if the 50+ crowd is paying for their content that should count for something.

My only guess is they're too set in their ways to consider cancelling cable and getting content via other means (iTunes, DVD) so they're dollars would count that way.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
There is no DVD release for this show. Season 1 didn't even get a release. Probably the best you can expect is a MOD release, but that's doubtful.
A DVD/MOD release would have been nice (tho I considered myself lucky to be able to buy the complete Boston Legal so this snow not making it is expected) but hopefully they'll at least put the eps on iTunes/Unbox for sale.
Old 05-28-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't disagree. But I'd contend that's a mistake. Even beyond that if the 50+ crowd is paying for their content that should count for something.
People over 50 are more prone to die. Why advertise to a market that has a limited about of time vs 18-49 which has longer?

I find it silly too, but that's just how it is.
Old 05-28-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
People over 50 are more prone to die. Why advertise to a market that has a limited about of time vs 18-49 which has longer?

I find it silly too, but that's just how it is.
I think the theory is that older people tend to be more set in their ways and not as flexible to try new products or switch. This makes them as a group less desirable to advertisers.