TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Revenge -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Revenge -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/21/11

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm only 15 minutes into this and I already want to kill everyone on this show. The dialogue is atrocious and the line readings are even worse. This is not a keeper.
I switched to CSI the moment the first commercial break started. Horrible acting from everyone except Czerny (because he hadn't done anything up to that point but stand in the background) and even worse direction. The shitty ads were good by comparison,
Old 09-22-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm only 15 minutes into this and I already want to kill everyone on this show.

...unless you're Suprmallet -- then you just dig a really big pit!
Old 09-22-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not sure what your trying to say here. You sound like you don't really want to watch this and it would be a chore for you to try.
Somewhat. I liked some of the talent involved, so I feel compelled to check it out. However, the promos are making that very difficult. And based on Roc's comment (below) I'm not the only one who gets these feeling that EVC isn't fully invested in this role.

Based on the feedback here and through some reviews I will skip. If it turns out to be good, I can always check out the first 13.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The ads for this have been very uninspiring. The girl in the narration actually sounds like she doesn't want to be starring in this show.
Old 09-22-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Sounds like the disinterest is by design...
excerpt

AH: Emily, your character, is muted in a lot of her emotions. Did you ever think she was a sociopath on some level?
EV: Oh, absolutely. The best comparison I’ve had so far was that she’s a sort of less homicidal version of Dexter, and that rings so true to me. In most ways, she’s completely cut off from her emotions. That was sort of her coping mechanism in losing her father and in finding out all of these terrible things. But also, she had a very violent teenage-hood, because she was torn away from her dad and went through the foster care system… On many levels, yeah, I think she’s a bit of a sociopath. What’s interesting, in coming into this town with this major plan — on paper, she has it all together, it’s all completely plotted out. There are certain characters that are really gonna challenge that about her and that really sort of challenge that wall that she’s put up for herself.

AH: Is there anyone you tried to study to play her?
EV: I think it was less about studying things about other people, but more about figuring out exactly what happened to her, exactly what affected her to make her this way. I had journals with loads of pictures and thoughts and poems and ideas that I put together to inspire the character. I’ve never really had to build a character from the ground up like that. A lot of characters that I’ve played in the past, I drew from personal experiences or I could relate to on a more human level, but with her, she’s just so different from who I am, it’s almost like there’s a separate part of my brain that I give to her and I rely on that… to get me to those places I get.
http://www.accesshollywood.com/qanda..._article_53950

Oh, and Emily VanCamp has a zombie fetish.
Old 09-22-11, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was interesting. Not sure how well they used the flashback scenes, as things were still a little confusing. It was funny how Sam the dog recognized Amanda/Emily right away, yet the dog's owner, who appeared to have a lifelong love affair for her, didn't. Plus, Sam the dog looks like he has aged well. The whole backstory of exactly how Amanda's dad got screwed wasn't real clear, but I guess they'll develop that. Strange start with Madeleine Stowe's character's son being murdered out of the gate. Several differing timelines didn't make for easy clarity.

But, I like Madeleine Stowe and was definitely tuning in when I saw she was in this. Thought it was worth watching, and I'll be checking out the next few eps to see how everything develops
Old 09-22-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Sounds like the disinterest is by design...http://www.accesshollywood.com/qanda..._article_53950

Oh, and Emily VanCamp has a zombie fetish.
So the plan was for it to be dreadfully boring? Mission accomplished!
Old 09-22-11, 10:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious to see what type of numbers this show pulled in. Not expecting much given the timeslot. I see that an encore is airing Friday night for those that missed it.
Old 09-22-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

For those who didn't read the ratings sticky

10.15M viewers and 3.4 in the demos. It beat both CSI and Law and Order SVU. For those who hated it, you probably don't give a shit anyways.

I'm watching this later today.
Old 09-22-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10.15M viewers and 3.4 in the demos.
No doubt helped by Modern Family's lead-in, but those numbers position this as ABC's best debut in the Wednesday 10 PM time slot in four years.

Solid launch numbers.

Last edited by meritocracy; 09-22-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

For those who didn't read the ratings sticky

10.15M viewers and 3.4 in the demos. It beat both CSI and Law and Order SVU. For those who hated it, you probably don't give a shit anyways.

I'm watching this later today.

That surprises me. I am certain a lot came from the lead-in by Modern Family. Who knows, maybe the viewing public is ready for a trashy-type show about rich people getting their come-uppance.
Old 09-22-11, 04:22 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

From what i've read, both the reason for the revenge and the actual revenge are going to be disappointing

Let's face it, this isn't going to be i spit on your grave

Im not really into this subtle revenge thing and i can't see the heroine pulling out the 454 Casull anytime soon
Old 09-22-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think it was great but it has potential.
I actually liked it a little more than Ringer.
Old 09-22-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
From what i've read, both the reason for the revenge and the actual revenge are going to be disappointing

Let's face it, this isn't going to be i spit on your grave

Im not really into this subtle revenge thing and i can't see the heroine pulling out the 454 Casull anytime soon
In terms of disappointing, I don't think it's meant to be that extreme. Basically she just wants to make sure their lives wind up sucking because that's what happened to her. If your idea of a revenge show is leaving a trail of bloody corpses, you might want to go elsewhere.
Old 09-22-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really enjoyed the pilot, but like someone else has mentioned I think the series would have benefitted from airing in real time over the summer. But at the same time it's obvious that ABC is spending a good amount of money on the series and want it to be a success, which with those numbers it could become.

Am I the only one that thought Sarah Michele Gellar and Emily Vancamp should have switched pilots this year? haha.
Old 09-22-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the pilot quite a bit. I'm definitely in for (at least) a few more episodes.
Old 09-22-11, 07:06 PM

I watched the beginning again. I thought I may have missed some things. When Daniel was shot he seemed to have his back to the surf/sea. It appeared he was shot in the back initially, as his body fell forward, away from the surf/sea so that he was laying on his stomach. This suggests that he was shot from the surf/sea. Then there was view of the handgun with close up shots after Daniel was down.

Was the guy on the scene of Daniel's killing on the beach (and the presumed murderer) the same guy with the dog Sam and who had the sailboat "Amanda" and who had the childhood crush on Amanda/now Emily -- Jack Porter?

Last edited by northmoor; 09-22-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished my recording. While acting and plot wise it was quite atrocious, I cannot deny its appeal. Definitely a guilty pleasure for which I shall stay on board for a few weeks. Hope it can maintain its numbers.
Old 09-22-11, 10:00 PM

I liked it enough to keep it on my DVR list. Interesting that Phillip Noyce directed.
Old 09-22-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by northmoor
I watched the beginning again. I thought I may have missed some things. When Daniel was shot he seemed to have his back to the surf/sea. It appeared he was shot in the back initially, as his body fell forward, away from the surf/sea so that he was laying on his stomach. This suggests that he was shot from the surf/sea. Then there was view of the handgun with close up shots after Daniel was down.

Was the guy on the scene of Daniel's killing on the beach (and the presumed murderer) the same guy with the dog Sam and who had the sailboat "Amanda" and who had the childhood crush on Amanda/now Emily -- Jack Porter?

It looked like Jack but who knows who killed Daniel or if Daniel is dead.
Old 09-22-11, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by northmoor
I thought this was interesting. Not sure how well they used the flashback scenes, as things were still a little confusing. It was funny how Sam the dog recognized Amanda/Emily right away, yet the dog's owner, who appeared to have a lifelong love affair for her, didn't. Plus, Sam the dog looks like he has aged well. The whole backstory of exactly how Amanda's dad got screwed wasn't real clear, but I guess they'll develop that. Strange start with Madeleine Stowe's character's son being murdered out of the gate. Several differing timelines didn't make for easy clarity.

But, I like Madeleine Stowe and was definitely tuning in when I saw she was in this. Thought it was worth watching, and I'll be checking out the next few eps to see how everything develops
I kind of laughed at the scene and flashback involving the dog. I thought it was weird how Jack still had love affair years later and had a boat named after her, but didn't recognize her.

The backstory will probably unfold and I'm curious to find out why Victoria and her husband chose Amanda's dad to screw over.
Old 09-23-11, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I thought it was great. It's pretty obvious, if your not a fan of night time soap operas, this is not for you. I liked that it's a soap opera with the whole revenge twist.

Loved Madeline Stowe. I thought she looked great and was excellent as the evil Matriarch. I think Victoria is going to be the highlight of the show.

I like how they are taking their time with Emily/Amanda's revenge plot. at Madeline Stowe banishing and embarrassing her husband's lover in public after hearing it from Emily. It's obvious that Emily isn't out for cold blooded murder, but to ruin the lives of these people who contributed to her father going to jail and eventually dying. The little reveal at the end with Emily dressed as room service and poisoning Conrad was awesome.

Question, was the guy at the end who went to Emily's place the same one who met with her after she was released from jail as Amanda?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-11 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-23-11, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question, was the guy at the end who went to Emily's place the same one who met with her after she was released from jail as Amanda?
Yep, same guy. That's why he recognized her.
Old 09-23-11, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Yep, same guy. That's why he recognized her.
i liked her getting physical and giving him the ole forearm shiver to the throat at her place. i thought it hinted at the hard life she had in foster care/the facility she was released from at 18.

i liked the pacing and would rather watch this than Ringer if i had to choose.
Old 09-23-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I didn't really like was how Amanda/Emily suddenly had bad ass grappling abilities when she found out that guy recognized her. Maybe she learned to fight in prison? I think they need to stick with her using mind games, those are more believable.

I honestly think that the 13 ep. arc might just be to solve the murder of the son, if he is dead. There are many different directions this show could go from a soap opera stand point. I am certain that at some point in the future someone else from Amanda's past who has it out for her might turn up and stir the pot. I'm sure she made some enemies in prison.