Old 09-14-11, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Free Agents -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/14/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-14

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Alex (Hank Azaria, "The Simpsons," "The Smurfs"), is newly-divorced and trying to hold it together at work. His co-worker Helen (Kathryn Hahn, "Hung," "Wanderlust") lost her fiance a year ago and while she thinks she has it together, she's on emotional thin ice. When they end up in bed together, the aftermath isn't pretty and they decide to remain friends�or so they think. As the two try to sort out their casual, intimate and beautifully awkward relationship, they are surrounded by an office full of crazy colleagues, including their boss Stephen (Anthony Head, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," "Merlin"), Dan (Mo Mandel, "Modern Family"), Gregg (Al Madrigal, "The Daily Show") and Emma (Natasha Leggero, "Ugly Americans"), as well as office security guard Walter (Joe Lo Truglio, "Backwash").

Trailer:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1327457" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I'm giving this a look since it's right after Up All Night. It's from the Producer of Party Down and based on a British sitcom with the same title.
Old 09-14-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Free Agents -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/14/11

Is this just a preview of the show or the actual pilot?
Old 09-14-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Xander
Is this just a preview of the show or the actual pilot?
Yes, it's the actual Pilot tonight along with Up All Night. Why would you be confused otherwise? They are both airing late tonight because NBC wants to get some ratings off America's Got Talent. Next week this moves to 8:30pm.
Old 09-14-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the UK version of the show, Tony Head is reprising his character for this version. In the UK version Head was a GIANT perv who's basic charm was that he is an epic womanizer. Not sure if they can really pull that off the same way in this version.
Old 09-14-11, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I like the UK version of the show, Tony Head is reprising his character for this version. In the UK version Head was a GIANT perv who's basic charm was that he is an epic womanizer. Not sure if they can really pull that off the same way in this version.
I'm sure they won't come close. The UK version wasn't that great, the only thing worth watching was the rare appearance of Matthew Holness.
Old 09-14-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes, it's the actual Pilot tonight along with Up All Night. Why would you be confused otherwise? They are both airing late tonight because NBC wants to get some ratings off America's Got Talent. Next week this moves to 8:30pm.
So the only way to catch the pilot of either show is by watching it tonight, and next week they'll show new episodes with the shows in their actual timeslots? Hmm. Maybe this is why NBC's programming is going down the toilet? No one knows when their shows are actually ON.
Old 09-14-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
So the only way to catch the pilot of either show is by watching it tonight, and next week they'll show new episodes with the shows in their actual timeslots? Hmm. Maybe this is why NBC's programming is going down the toilet? No one knows when their shows are actually ON.
Your forgetting Comcast took over and it's an entirely new regime at NBC.

10:30pm is late for a sitcom premiere, but I get why they scheduled it here. It's coming after America's Got Talent finale (Up All Night is airing 1st) and they are hoping it retains alot of that audience. Last year NBC premiered Outlaw after AGT's finale, but that show was so not compatible with it's demographic. I think these 2 sitcoms have a better chance of getting a good retention sampling tonight.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-agents-235602

Anyways, ho-hum review from the Hollywood Reporter. They don't think Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn have any chemistry.

I've never found Kathryn Hahn attractive, even when she was on Crossing Jordan years ago. Plus, any sex appeal she may have had was killed when she played the pregnant chick that Thomas Jane was banging in Hung.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-14-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never even heard of this show until tonight during the commercials of AGT. Good cast (I actually think Kathryn Hahn is attractive) and found myself laughing a few times.
Old 09-15-11, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UK version premieres on BBC America in a few weeks so I"ll have to remember to check that one out too.
Old 09-15-11, 08:27 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Because every place I've seen online shows this show as starting Sept 21st.

I wouldn't have even known that the pilots were last night if it weren't for this thread. Lame, IMO.

Anyway, DVR'd it, but didn't get a chance to check it out last night. Mostly tuning in for Hank Azaria and Tony Head.
Old 09-15-11, 08:28 AM

No scoffs, chuckles, or chortles from my wife or I while watching it. We stopped and deleted it from the DVR about halfway through. We like Hank Azaria which is the only reason we watched it. From now on, if we want a Hank Azaria fix, we'll watch The Birdcage or, better yet, some episodes of the Simpsons.
Old 09-15-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually thought the first ten or so minutes were funny and then it went downhill after that. I may think over whether I want to catch this again. I wasn't planning on it and just watched it because nothing else was on. I'm leaning towards not returning...
Old 09-15-11, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What was the episode supposed to be about? Pretty lame.
Old 09-15-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who's idea was it to make Azaria the lead in a sitcom?! Nothing about it worked. Entire premise is tired and derivative. Reminded me of "Better off Ted" and "Mr Sunshine" only not as funny. This show will likely meet a similar fate those did.
Old 09-15-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still trying to decide if I'd throw it in Kathryn Hahn.
Old 09-15-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
I'm still trying to decide if I'd throw it in Kathryn Hahn.
Throw it in, eh? Is that one all yours?

I'll keep going for a few more. I like HaHn, Azaria makes me laugh. Emma, The tiny executive Assistant was funny and very cute.
Old 09-15-11, 04:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually liked this more than "Up All Night". I thought the entire cast was solid. I had seen the majority of the jokes in the previews, so that was somewhat disappointing, but i'll be watching episode 2 for sure.
Old 09-15-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It tried too hard to be raunchy but with it being stuck on NBC and not cable, it didn't work. it stands no chance
Old 09-15-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Who's idea was it to make Azaria the lead in a sitcom?! Nothing about it worked. Entire premise is tired and derivative. Reminded me of "Better off Ted" and "Mr Sunshine" only not as funny. This show will likely meet a similar fate those did.
I just came into this thread to post that I thought if they replaced the leads with Jay Harrington and Andrea Anders, it could be a show I'd like. Throw in Portia DeRossi as their boss while they're at it.
Old 09-16-11, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hank Azaria will never lead a hit sitcom (I don't consider Huff to be a hit). He just doesn't have the charisma for it. I liked Hahn but most of this show was just awful.
Old 09-16-11, 09:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Claytonian
No scoffs, chuckles, or chortles from my wife or I while watching it. We stopped and deleted it from the DVR about halfway through. We like Hank Azaria which is the only reason we watched it. From now on, if we want a Hank Azaria fix, we'll watch The Birdcage or, better yet, some episodes of the Simpsons.
I agree. No laughs and no likeable characters. I flipped the channel during a commercial about 5 minutes before it ended and did not bother going back. Azaria is best when he plays characters, not ordinary guys.
Old 09-16-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Didn't really enjoy this one at all. Hank Azaria really did nothing for me here. I was excited to see Anthony Stewart Head. I didn't realize he was even in this show until I saw his name in the credits. I don't think it's enough for me to tune in again, though.
Old 09-16-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched about 5 minutes, turned it off, deleted it from our DVR. What a pathetic show...
Old 09-16-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the minority, but I thought it was pretty good. Definitely watch it again.
Old 09-17-11, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Pretty lame show, only watched it for Kathryn Hahn. The Grocery check-out clerk was funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.