Old 09-08-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Dead to Rights" -- 9/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-23

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Michael tries to clear his name of Max's murder by taking drastic action. Elsewhere, Larry resurfaces and insists Michael help him with a job.

Episode 12 of 18

Returns Thursday November 3rd for the rest of the season

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-LwoAOc-PIs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-08-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Dead to Rights" -- 9/08/11

I enjoyed the episode. Wrapped up one storyline, but opened the door for plenty of stuff the second part of the season.

How awesome is
Spoiler:
Jere Burns
?

(Did anyone ever say anything official about
Spoiler:
Larry/Larry's remains
?)
Old 09-09-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I always hate the "I planned this out so perfectly that I have taken into account any act of randomness" crap. How the hell was he going to know Fi would have the T-4?
Old 09-09-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
(Did anyone ever say anything official about
Spoiler:
Larry/Larry's remains
?)
The newspaper said that two people were killed in the explosions. Meaning the two security guards, and nothing about Larry. So who knows.

Did the new bad guy actually use the "if anything happens to me, these tapes go to the police!" cliche? Michael jumped out of a helicopter once to avoid being controlled like this, why wouldn't he just plug the guy and get the tapes back before anyone saw?
Old 09-09-11, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The newspaper said that two people were killed in the explosions. Meaning the two security guards, and nothing about Larry. So who knows.

Did the new bad guy actually use the "if anything happens to me, these tapes go to the police!" cliche? Michael jumped out of a helicopter once to avoid being controlled like this, why wouldn't he just plug the guy and get the tapes back before anyone saw?
I think it has more to do with Fi being the one on tape and her grief toward killing two innocent people, though I am still suprised the only thing she had to say was "What do you want with us?" twice!

I'm not sure he knew how to react, it was mentioned at the start of the episode that Michael was off his game a little and needed some downtime.
Old 09-09-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I thought the episode was underwhelming. Michael not simply popping the guy was idiotic. Hell, I'm surprised Fi didn't just pop him before he finished his threats. And the guy being the villain was a tad predictable, and it was irksome that he used the "I can predict all your moves" cliche.

And where did Jessie disappear to for the rest of the episode?

BTW, did they ever show Michael taking down Management or are we to assume that happened during the montage at the beginning of the season opener?

I love this show but I'm tired of the "burn" story arc. It was getting interesting when Larry was prodding Michael about how he deserved to get burned but then they brought in the stock "villain of the season" and I promptly lost interest.
Old 09-09-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way Fiona has been portrayed since the beginning of the series, that guy would've been dead before he was done talking. Same thing for Micheal. In fact, last season, Micheal killed a guy for threatening Fiona...before he finished talking.

D
Old 09-09-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

And where did Jessie disappear to for the rest of the episode?
He was riding the tea cups with Micheal's mother.
Old 09-09-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Derrich
The way Fiona has been portrayed since the beginning of the series, that guy would've been dead before he was done talking. Same thing for Micheal. In fact, last season, Micheal killed a guy for threatening Fiona...before he finished talking.

D
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kdogg
He was riding the tea cups with Micheal's mother.
Thanks. Totally forgot about his conversation with Sam.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-09-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Thank you!
But I believe the guy not only recorded the conversation, but also sent it out to a third party. He did mention that if he was killed, the other party would see that it went to the CIA. So for now, Mike and Fi have to sort of play by his rules.

I like that it pulled together the lame thing at the beginning of this season in Caracas, but the perfect puppet master routine is played out.
Old 09-09-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But I believe the guy not only recorded the conversation, but also sent it out to a third party. He did mention that if he was killed, the other party would see that it went to the CIA. So for now, Mike and Fi have to sort of play by his rules.
Oh, please. Michael could have popped the guy and had Barry or one of his many contacts work their magic and intercept the recording in time for the next "All-Knowing Master of Evil" pop up and take credit for burning Michael (which you know will happen anyway). It was a very weak way to extend an already tired storyline.

The real shame is that when Larry was chastising Michael, they had a perfect way to keep the show going and still be about Michael being burned without it being an endless hunt for the people who burned him. When Larry said Michael had it coming due to a series of past events, I was hoping the show would transition to just being Michael taking cases as a form of penance for his past misdeeds. Basically focus on the case-of-the-week structure and every so often brig back recurring nemesis like Larry but ditch the played out "who burned me?/why was I burned?" storyline.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-09-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this just shows how everyone has let their guard down and softened over the years. Heck, they're making a point of it now that Fi has moved in. They had no idea who Anson really was until he explained himself. Up to that point, they were sympathetic.
Old 09-09-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I think this just shows how everyone has let their guard down and softened over the years. Heck, they're making a point of it now that Fi has moved in. They had no idea who Anson really was until he explained himself. Up to that point, they were sympathetic.
That's a good point, and explains how it happened. Not sure if it's what they were going for, and wasn't exactly great TV, but it makes sense.
Old 09-09-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by uteotw
That's a good point, and explains how it happened. Not sure if it's what they were going for, and wasn't exactly great TV, but it makes sense.
Michael mentions in his narrative how 'burnt' out he is and that he didn't notice Larry's shoes when he was caught off guard.

I would think by now everyone knows where Michael lives and I'm surprised he doesn't move.