Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Nickelodeon Might Bring Back Legends of the Hidden Temple!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.breakmentaldown.com/2011/...n-to-find.html

Anyone who is like 22-32 definitely knows how to assemble the silver monkey and will rejoice at this news.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NICKELODEON LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN TO FIND “HIDDEN TEMPLE”
Gauges interest with Facebook campaign

NEW YORK, Sept 1, 2011 — “Legends of the Hidden Temple,” the cult favorite game show featuring a giant head and kids running through a labyrinthine maze may have found a “pendant of life” as Nickelodeon moves forward with bringing back the series lovingly described as “American Gladiators meets Young Indiana Jones.”

Earlier today, Nickelodeon launched a Facebook campaign to gauge interest in a reboot for the big-giant-head-hosted-series. Fans of the show can register and like the campaign at http://on.fb.me/LegendsHidden. The campaign looks to garner five million fans before the network will consider letting Olmec rise from his storage-closety doom.

The series, which ran on Nickelodeon from 1993 to 1995 developed a cult following for its frank depiction of Olmec, its big-giant-head of a host as well as idiotic kids who could not figure out how to put together a three-part monkey statue. It won a CableACE award for Best Game Show in 1995.

“We know anyone who ever wished they could be a Blue Barracuda, Green Monkey, Orange Igauna, Purple Parrot, Red Jaguar or Silver Snake missed out on a great opportunity when the show was canceled,” says Kirk Fogg, co-host of the initial run of shows and lead proponent of the reboot, “but with 4,999,999 of their closest friends, they can live out those dreams.”

Fogg said they decided to use Facebook as the crux of the campaign, simply because people identified the face of the program as Olmec, and to put that on Facebook would surely garner the fans necessary to refind this “Hidden Temple.”

Although the series only lasted three seasons, to this day it remains a popular fixture on college campuses and at Halloween parties.

“To bring kids the ability to rediscover the Comet-Embroidered Battle Flag of William the Conquerer or the Milk Bucket of Freydis truly makes me ecstatic,” says Fogg, referencing two of the more renowned episodes from the original run.

Even the potential of bringing the show back has resulted in more trouble than getting out of the troubling “Shrine of the Silver Monkey.” Nickelodeon initially balked at the high salary demands of the famed big giant head and co-host, Olmec, but the show's producers found ways to reason with the network.

“I woke up and there was an Olmec head literally in the bed next to me. It crushed my significant other—that thing weighs like 3,000 pounds” says Marjorie Cohn, president original programming and development Nickelodeon. “Knowing they were capable of that, I had to move forward with a Legends of the Hidden Temple reboot.”

About Nickelodeon
Nickelodeon, now in its 32nd year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. It's most known for never engaging in Facebook ruses, no matter the legends that could be unearthed by it. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in more than 100 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 16 consecutive years. For more information or artwork, visit http://www.nickpress.com. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).
Old 09-04-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Nickelodeon Might Bring Back Legends of the Hidden Temple!

One the one hand....this could be awesome. But on the other hand.....I was too young to participate when the show first aired, and now I'm too old? Shiiiiit!
Old 09-04-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always liked Guts better.
Old 09-04-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This doesn't surprise me at all. They had great Nick game shows back then, so why not reboot a couple?

I like Legends, but I liked Guts, Double Dare, and Wild and Crazy Kids more.
Old 09-04-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I loved LotHT, I watched it every day after school as a kid.

I'd be down to see a reboot. Hilarious that Kirk Fogg would be back to host, he's clearly done nothing since the show ended (the movie he wrote/directed/starred in was absolutely terrible)
Old 09-04-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved the show as a kid, but got so frustrated watching all of those kids who couldn't figure out how to put together the stupid silver monkey.
Old 09-04-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be curious to see how the reboot is, but honestly, I wouldn't watch it on a regular basis. As others said, I was too young to be on the show then and now I'm too old to be on the show now. What's the point?
Old 09-04-11, 08:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The campaign looks to garner five million fans before the network will consider letting Olmec rise from his storage-closety doom.
Wait, umm.. did you say 5 million?
Old 09-04-11, 11:39 PM

Well, they are 28/5000000 of the way there.
Old 09-04-11, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by josepotato
Wait, umm.. did you say 5 million?
Heroes has 512 signatures. There is hope!!!
Old 09-05-11, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone really believe Nick started a facebook page called ""Legends of the Hidden Temple" brought back with 5,000,000 fans"
Old 09-05-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The blogpost looks made up especially that they got a quote from Ol Mec.
Old 10-06-11, 03:59 AM

Things were going well, they were up to 41 (AKA, 41/5000000 of the way there), but things certainly seemed to have stalled out recently. I'm hoping there will be a resurgent wave. We might even get up to 83.2/5000000!
Old 10-07-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bump! This was on tonight as a new lineup with Salute Your Shorts, Rugrats, and something else I missed. It's repeating at Midnight as well.

Edit: Not a new version if that's what people were thinking from this thread.
Old 10-07-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes! 90s nick lineup has changed!
Old 10-07-11, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Salute your Shorts? I don't see that
Old 10-08-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep watching....
Old 10-08-11, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Yes! 90s nick lineup has changed!
No more Doug or All That then?
Old 10-08-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, I think those are still on during the week. Friday nights I guess are different and people can vote for what shows they want to see. www.90sareallthat.com
Old 10-08-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
No, I think those are still on during the week. Friday nights I guess are different and people can vote for what shows they want to see. www.90sareallthat.com
ooo wow. I like the Stick ha ha. But bummer it's on Friday night that is random.
Old 03-01-16, 09:32 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

When Viacom’s Nickelodeon sketches its future for advertisers Wednesday afternoon, one of the elements it will touch upon will be its past.

As part of a presentation to promote its coming slate of programs, the kids-media empire (comprising several cable networks and more) will unveil a live-action TV movie inspired by its mid-1990s game show “Legends of the Hidden Temple,” as well as a two-part TV movie based on “Hey Arnold!” one of its best known animated series that ran between 1996 and 2004. The company will also talk up a slate that includes what its top executive calls “happy reality” programs, like “All In,” an adventure docu-series led by Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and “Crashletes,” a half-hour series that will feature crazy viral sports clips. The programs downplay mean-spirited competition in favor of showing people having fun.

“There’s a tremendous amount of attention on kids these days. What that says is there’s a tremendous amount of opportunity – not unlike what is going on in the grownup space,” said Cyma Zarghami, president of Viacom’s cable networks aimed at kids and families, in an interview. “There is just more content everywhere.”

A lot of adults are relying on Nickelodeon’s kiddie fare. Viacom has been under intense pressure in recent months, as several of its flagship networks like MTV and Comedy Central grapple with viewership declines and investors question the strategy pursued by the corporation’s management. At Nickelodeon, however, ratings have improved. The network has seen its audience between the ages of 2 and 11 rise 4% in the first quarter of the year, according to analysis from Bernstein Research’s Todd Juenger, while Nick Jr.’s audience in that demographic has risen 57%. In doing so, the analyst said, the networks have taken share from competitors. Even so, Nickelodeon’s subscriber base and ad revenue shrank somewhat in both 2015 and 2016, according to data from market-research firm SNL Kagan, even as the subscriber fees it gains from distributors rose in both years.

“The company is under a lot of scrutiny, but I don’t think Nickelodeon is under any scrutiny at all,” said Zarghami a veteran programmer who joined the network as a clerk in 1986 and rose steadily through the ranks. “We have done a tremendous amount of work to build our ecosystem.”

Nickelodeon is in a different position than it was last year at this time, when Time Warner’s Cartoon Network was making ratings strides. Zarghami’s networks will vie with media outlets owned by Walt Disney, Time Warner and NBCUniversal for approximately $800 million in advance commitments from advertisers as part of a process known as the “upfront” market, when U.S. TV networks try to sell the bulk of their ad inventory for the coming season. The task has grown more difficult for kids’ outlets in recent years, as the rising generation of young viewers see little distinction between watching Nick series like “Bubble Guppies” on-demand and watching them on the network that launched it.

To lure those viewers, Zarghami and her executive team have put more focus on creating content – and not just for TV. “Game Shakers,” a series that debuted in 2015 centers on two young female entrepreneurs who devise apps, and makes their fictional creations available for real-life download via iTunes and other venues. The Nick and Nick Jr. apps have been downloaded on to 27 million devices, the company said, and Nick digital properties get 100 million views per month from kids.

Zarghami cites the pre-school audience as a primary factor in Nick’s recent ratings wins. “The pre-school audience does a tremendous amount of work to lift the 2-to-11 audience,” she said. “Alvinnn,” a new take on “Alvin and the Chipmunks” and perennial favorite “SpongeBob Squarepants” have helped attract audience, but Zarghami also pointed to series including “Blaze and the Monster Machines,” “PAW Patrol” and “Henry Danger” as successes.

The recent emphasis on reviving old Nick favorites was borne out of an idea from interns more than five years ago, she recounted. The interns thought the old programs would work well online, but Nick execs thought they might work well on TV, and put a block of the shows on Teen Nick at night. As original fans of 1990s fare adopted social media, she said, “interest in the Nick library was becoming louder and louder and louder.” Now executives hope to revive select concepts that will charm older fans but also spark new interest from their children.

In “Hidden Temple,” three siblings must conquer a series of obstacles to remain alive, mirroring the theme of the original game show. The TV movie, slated to appear in the fourth quarter of 2016, will nod to other elements from the original show, including Olmec, a talking head who knows the secrets behind the temple; The Steps of Knowledge, the entrance to the temple and launching pad for the mission; and cameos from a green monkey, red jaguar, and silver snakes, among others. Isabela Monae, known from her role on Nick’s “100 Things To Do Before High School,” will star. The “Arnold” movies are slated to appear in 2017.

Zarghami declined to reveal more of Nickelodeon’s programming slate, but hinted at a growing interesting in sports-themed programming and live events. The goal, she said, is to turn viewers into fans, who want to keep talking about shows even after an episode ends. “Once you can convert a viewer into a fan, you can have an ongoing conversation with them,” she said. Nickelodeon will spark that chatter later this week.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/nick...nt-1201719422/
Old 03-01-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Kirk Fogg/Ol Mec, no sale.
Old 03-01-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I might watch it but I'd rather just see reruns of the original played. Either that or possibly a new series.
Old 11-26-16, 04:45 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This airs tonight.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rge71YKo5sY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>